Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oldschoolgeek32

What Is Your Favorite Doom II Weapon (Poll!)

What Is Your Favorite Classic Doom Weapon (Poll!)  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Your Favorite Doom II Weapon? :)

• Fists
    • Pistol
    • Shotgun
    • Super Shotgun
    • Chaingun
    • Plasma Rifle
    • BFG
    • Chainsaw
    • Rocket Launcher

In celebration for

26 years Of Doom II (1994)

I decided to set up this poll for which one is your Favorite Doom II Weapon! :) Enjoy!

Edited by Oldschoolgeek32

Big surprise at the results. Completely did not see the SSG with a commanding lead. No sirree. 

It's a fricken rocket launcher with no splash damage, of course it's number one.

Am I blind or do I not see the Rocket Launcher in the poll?

Otherwise, my votes would go to RL, Plasma and BFG. Pumping rockets into crowds is pure pleasure, Plasma makes noise and has great DPS even at large ranges and BFG actually requires skill to utilize properly.

SSG is good but pretty basic to be honest. The reason it is everybody's and their grandma's main weapon is because the ammo for it is literally everywhere and is way too ammo efficient.

Chaingun would feel much better if it had the same sound as the Heavy Weapon Dude. But at least you can snipe with it.

Normal Shotgun is... well... normal.

Pistol ain't gonna be winning any awards soon.

Chainsaw is just a melee Chaingun.

Regular Fist is a last resort, nothing else. Loses all point after you get the chainsaw.

Edited by idbeholdME

7 minutes ago, idbeholdME said:

Am I blind or do I not see the Rocket Launcher in the poll?

Otherwise, my votes would got to RL, Plasma and BFG. Pumping rockets into crowds is pure pleasure, Plasma makes noise and has great DPS even at large ranges and BFG actually requires skill to utilize properly.

SSG is good but pretty basic to be honest. The reason it is everybody's and their grandma's main weapon is because the ammo for it is literally everywhere and is way too ammo efficient.

Chaingun would feel much better if it had the same sound as the Heavy Weapon Dude. But at least you can snipe with it.

Normal Shotgun is... well... normal.

Pistol ain't gonna be winning any awards soon.

Chainsaw is just a melee Chaingun.

Regular Fist is a last resort, nothing else. Loses all point after you get the chainsaw.

Oh yeah wait! XD

4 minutes ago, Oldschoolgeek32 said:

I have added the rocket launcher to the poll! Sorry about that 

OK. Now I have put my votes in.

I tend to gravitate towards the super shotgun the most during gameplay 

Even when it's more sensible to use a higher powered weapon

There's something really fun about double shotgunning and Archvile

The Shotgun. It has to be one of the most underestimated weapons in Doom II, especially in so-called "ammo economy" maps or "sniping" situations. You just cannot perform all jobs with just the SSG, and even for those you can, using the Shotgun can add another level of subtleness/finesse.

That being said, IMO, giving you just one or the other is often a hallmark of either a lazy mapper, or of a particularly devious one, wanting to force you into ammo waste or artificial difficulty.

5 minutes ago, Maes said:

You just cannot perform all jobs with just the SSG, period.

Yep. Every weapon has its own purpose; no one is saying they don't have.

Of course everybody picks the SSG. You people make me sick!

Where's the love for the Plasma Rifle? COME ON PEOPLE!

The best weapon is obviously The Beautiful One.

Spoiler

aka the SSG, for those of you who haven’t watched Austinado’s streams

The ultimate demon-slaying weapon, the pinnacle of shotguns. Why don't they just call it "The Double-Barrel" you say? Because it's better. Because it's SUPER.

The super shotgun ofc. Ive seen some debate on  it being balanced or not, but I like it.

Its great for either wiping out big crowds of enemies or dealing better damage against the bigger of baddies.

The reload sound is nice also.

55 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

The ultimate demon-slaying weapon, the pinnacle of shotguns. Why don't they just call it "The Double-Barrel" you say? Because it's better. Because it's SUPER.

rip and tear civvie,UNTIL ITS DONE .

52 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

If Batman was a gun, he would be this.

1 hour ago, Ar_e_en said:

Of course everybody picks the SSG. You people make me sick!

Where's the love for the Plasma Rifle? COME ON PEOPLE!

the plasma rifle in doom 2 is really a meh weapons in this game,l found my self using it pretty rarely,since in doom 2 the plasma gun is a really bad gun comparing it to the ssg.

I enjoy plinking at former humans with the pistol... Also finishing imps that survived a point blank shotgun blast is satisfying as heck.

So I was debating between Plasma and SSG and finally went with Plasma. The thing is, the Plasma is my favorite weapon to use in Doom but I don't use it very much for the sole reason that it shares ammo with the BFG. If only it had a separate ammo pool...

I appreciate you making this a multiple choice poll, and I went with Super Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, and BFG. I can't say I have a favorite among those three, because... they're each my favorite weapon in varying circumstances. Evaporating an entire room of hitscanners with the BFG, systematically dominating a horde of Revenants with the RL, and miraculously stun-locking an Archvile with every single shot of the SSG, are moments I'll never tire of.  

34 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

I appreciate you making this a multiple choice poll, and I went with Super Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, and BFG. I can't say I have a favorite among those three, because... they're each my favorite weapon in varying circumstances. Evaporating an entire room of hitscanners with the BFG, systematically dominating a horde of Revenants with the RL, and miraculously stun-locking an Archvile with every single shot of the SSG, are moments I'll never tire of.  

Thanks! :) I knew many Doomers will have multiple favorite weapons so yup :)

So OP, now that you know all this, i do fully expect a pie chart made out of Doom pie to represent the results. Else this would be just another one of those threads.

Lost Soul flavor will do.

6 hours ago, Maes said:

You just cannot perform all jobs with just the SSG

yes

sometimes you need a chainsaw instead. I find it artificially satisfying to use.

4 hours ago, Trupiak said:

I enjoy plinking at former humans with the pistol... Also finishing imps that survived a point blank shotgun blast is satisfying as heck.

I use the pistol solely for that purpose. I'm not about to waste two bullets from the chaingun, or another shell on an imp that survived a shotgun blast.

What really irritates me is when I shoot an imp point blank with the shotgun, it survives, and then due to RNG it still takes three pistol shots to take it down.

But yes, they all serve a purpose. I can't help but notice that the Berserk Pack is absent from the list though; unless that's just included with fists. That thing is damn handy, and dancing around a couple of Barons and punching them to death is extremely satisfying. Plus, instant 100 health. When I find one I usually save it until I'm either running low on ammo, or running low on health.

I've never found the BFG to be all that useful though due to it's wonky RNG behavior, except in "oh shit" moments where I'm getting swarmed by surprise, or on a lone Cyberdemon or Spider Mastermind. Generally it seems like I have better luck using the plasma rifle.

I just now realized you can pick more than one. Went back and picked SSG to join the Plasma gun.