Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
igg

Can't update Doom Eternal, infinite update loop

Until now I have never experienced a problem with updating Bethesda Launcher and Doom Eternal. Today a download of 10 GB started but afterwards it told me: "Doom Eternal failed to install cause you don't have the permission to install to the file directory selected"

What I already tried:

• Restart Bethesda Launcher
  • Reboot my PC
  • Game options > Scan and Repair
  • Uninstalled Bethesda Launcher and installed again

What makes me curious: After "Scan and Repair" the date of my game files changed:

• There's a new video file in (I renamed the old ones) C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda.net Launcher\games\Doom Eternal\base\video\boot_sequence
  • There are a bunch of new download folders in C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda.net Launcher\games\Doom Eternal\__downloads

The newly updated files in my Doom Eternal folder indicate there's no general issue with accessing the game files.

In investaged a little bit further and discovered the following log entry:

020-10-20T15:36:40Z{Warning} [Error Description] Delta Patch Error
2020-10-20T15:36:40Z{Warning} [Extended Error] (some number).2398
2020-10-20T15:36:40Z{Warning} [Additional Info] File delta header is invalid for file C:/program files (x86)/bethesda.net launcher/games/Doom Eternal/__downloads/494229/tmp/base/package.cfg_diff_777513
2020-10-20T15:36:40Z{Warning} Doom Eternal Install Failed
2020-10-20T15:36:40Z{Info} UI {Info} {Game:51} Client error thrown: (some number).2398 -  failed to install. Please check install directory permissions and try again. (showModal: 1, returnToLogin: 0) for cdpId 51  
2020-10-20T15:36:40Z{Info} UI {Info} {Game:51} Operation 'installing_update' completed (success: 0) for cdpId 51 
2020-10-20T15:36:40Z{Info} UI {Info} {Game:51} Game state changed: 'installing_update' --> 'update_available' for cdpId 51 

Looks like my local package.cfg doesnt match the diff file?

Finally found a solution:

• First I deleted the package.conf and started "Scan and Repair" again. The file was restored but the installation didn't start, same error.
  • Then I cancelled the update and initiated it again (new download). This installation was successful.

Looks like the update file (__downloads/494229/tmp/base/package.cfg_diff_777513) was corrupted. Since the update has been re-downloaded 3 or 4 times before I think one of Bethesdas mirrors had a corrupted file.

Hope this helps somebody.