Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

GZDoom + wireless keyboard but sometimes my keyboard won't function

Only when I play gzdoom my keyboard sometimes won't take my commands ... or it does delayed and really screws up my gameplay

ever heard of this?

If its just gzdoom its probably not your battery.  That definitely sounds weird.

My laptop keyboard shit the bed and I had to buy a USB one. Problem now is my laptop keyboard still randomly decides its time to hold the ssssssssssssss..... button  down causing all sorts of nonsense.

Hey mine does that too!

I always assumed it was my wireless keyboard playing up so good to know it’s not just me :-D

Interesting I guess this is one of those things that some people experience but don't actually bother talk about

I think I'm going to have to knock on the gz Doom people builders door or something

I’m using a Logitech G613 wireless keyboard and G603 wireless mouse with GZDoom on Windows 10. I had a similar issue with intermittent connections.

I ended up mounting my PC (mini) to the back of one of my monitors so the USB transmitters were closer to the keyboard and mouse. No problem since. 

On 10/22/2020 at 7:05 AM, Theperson said:

Huh I guess GZDoom hates wireless keyboards.
I experience the same thing.

Problem with this theory; GZDoom doesn't know or care what a wireless keyboard is, it doesn't interact with a keyboard on this level and only knows as much as the HID layer will tell it. Only the driver can screw this kind of thing up, not the application reading keyboard events.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

Problem with this theory; GZDoom doesn't know or care what a wireless keyboard is, it doesn't interact with a keyboard on this level and only knows as much as the HID layer will tell it. Only the driver can screw this kind of thing up, not the application reading keyboard events.

I have to fully agree with this.  I used to use wireless kb and mouse and it did this a lot on ALL games, even with brand new batteries.  If you say it only happens in GZDoom I have to press X to Doubt.  If this is true it is probably a coincidence.  It's also possible that it's just more noticeable to you in Doom.

My suggestion is to go fully wired.  It might be an investment but it is just better for gaming in the long run.

8 hours ago, Edward850 said:

I doubt if the driver's to blame, either. The problem is most likely at the physical level: all wireless devices are inherently prone to electromagnetic interference resulting in random dropouts and/or lag as the device re-transmits lost or corrupted data. There's a reason we're still using old-fashioned wires for data transmission more than 100 years after Marconi tried to demonstrate their obsolescence for this purpose.