Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtimZarr1

The Ancient Gods - Impressions and Story Spoilers

Great summation. I think 'Davoth' is the name you could not remember. I played it on nightmare and enjoyed the difficulty, even though I did not expect it to be as tough as it was. I believe I had a similar experience to you, maybe I died once or twice per mission until the Hayden fight. He massacred me there in the final stage of that fight. I thought that it was poetic that Hayden was the (imo) toughest boss so far.

On Doomguy betraying Hayden and the Father, no doubt, Doomguy must have been reeling from the "Seraphim = Hayden" revelation. For Doomguy maybe it was the straw that broke the camel’s back? Hayden has been manipulating him since the 2016, using him as a beast of burden until this point. Right after Hayden assumes the form of the Seraphim, Hayden proceeds to tell Doomguy that it will be his 'privilege' to work under him once again. I also found it hilarious that earlier, before the revelation, Hayden is hyping up the Seraphim, telling Doomguy that most people are never lucky enough to meet the Seraphim and since it is Hayden it seems to be a dead set powerplay on Hayden's behalf. I believe that it was this final act of IQ mogging that led Doomguy to snap. I thought it was handled well. Since watching the Lighthouse I have always thought that Hayden and Doomguy have the same working relationship as Wake and Winsolw, with Wake and Hayden coveting the light of their respective towers (Lighthouse/Argent Tower(s)). In both cases the junior parties tend to the menial work and eventually snap, overthrowing their superiors in the process. There are more similarities, but I will leave that there for now. I was glad Hayden was spared, despite his hubris he is a good lad.

On Darkslayer. First thing that came to mind was PVP, in either the form of Invasion mode with respective players assuming the roles of Doomguy and Darkguy. This could also be accomplished in battlemode. Now I am pretty sure the codex explicitly mentioned that Davoth was the Dark Lord. The "He is not a King but a Warrior" (paraphrased) is just to highlight that he is there to fight, in a similar vein to Jesus telling us he "comes with a sword" in Matthew 10:34. To clarify, he isn't an observer like the Father but seems to be driving force behind his realm, a bulldozer like the Slayer. So I believe Darkguy=Davoth. Very interesting revelation, I agree with the Jacob sentiment, he was also (imo) the most fun boss in Dusk. I wonder where Part 2 picks up from here.

I still haven't played it, it's been a while since last time I even touched this game. need to do some warming up first. 

Time might not flow the same in all realities, so it either might be a multiverse and/or timeline fragmentation of sorts.
The ending leaves a lot to be speculate about Davoth origins, but is likely that just as the Slayer is the Champion of Maykrs/Sentinels, he is the Hells One.

Awesome thread and interesting read.

Of course someone telling you a story isn't the same as watching it unfold, but I'm getting some strange impressions from this.

I really liked Doom 2016 story and even if, in a way, backtrack to the classic doom story of exploitation of "arcane forces", I did like the theme of hell energy exploitation with several risks correlated. Hayden as the figure of reckless man of science that has to deal with the unexpected (or maybe quite expected) fall of his employees was fun to witness. It was also clear that UAC was trying to weaponize demons, with the research conducted in Lazarus lab, but the final aim there was left obscure.

It was a story that still rely heavily on Sci-Fi elements intertwined with occult themes. 

With Doom eternal the story twisted more on the occult / fantasy theme, that witness the doomslayer at the center of a plot involving a makyr / demons pact, so a sort of heaven / hell pact for the exploit of lesser races, with the doom slayer hell bent (obviously...) to put an hard stop to such unlikely partnership. It was still in a way enjoyable, but I found it less interesting than the original plot.

I see in this DLC things went full fantasy, with ancient evils resurrecting, some kind of plot than turn into something else and a temporary conclusion that ends up with something so similar to the "dark side of the hero" trope. Also a quantity of retconn to transform the original characters into something else.

Honestly I'm not sure I really like the direction of this plot, since start to feel like a manga were there is a escalation of the plot until we witness enemies becoming more and more mean, until they ascend to this sort of godhood status, so the fight shift from a mundane plane to something else completely out of scale (at the point that your suspension of disbelief start to break, since the Doom Slayer keep fighting them with a double barreled shotgun). 

As much as I'm aware that in doom the plot is still something expected to be there but that no one cares about, I don't think the building of this doomuniverse is really going in the right direction. And I would not really like to see the doom slayer challenging his dark side in a end of the saga reveal were maybe we find out that the doom slayer is in reality a supreme being that was split in a good and evil part (sigh!).

Not sure if others share the same feeling.

9 hours ago, AtimZarr1 said:

Is The Dark Lord from a Doom 64 ending but gone wrong?

Funny you should mention that.

Spoiler

Before The Lost Levels, Kaiser made The Outcast Levels for the Absolution TC, and this is how it ended:

outcastending.jpg.ec639ec9b431123468eafcde6db09d82.jpg

2 hours ago, Kaos said:

And I would not really like to see the doom slayer challenging his dark side in a end of the saga reveal were maybe we find out that the doom slayer is in reality a supreme being that was split in a good and evil part (sigh!).

It's not Split per se. In multiverses, there's always a constant, in this case, always will be a UAC or Corportation opening the doors to hell (The only thing that's not a constant), there always will be a Maykers, Father, Earth and them a Doomguy, not necesary all powerful on all cases. I imagine many Doomguys not being more than a marine, or Dead in some cases.

So it's not like he is split. It's just other marine goes insane from hell-

Davoth is totally a nerd kid named David who ended up king of Hell and decided he needed a spookier name befitting his station.

I just finished the campaign on nightmare yesterday and absolutely loved it. The fights are so much more intense and difficult than the original game, and I had an absolute blast getting my ass kicked. I did have to use sentinel armor on Samuel Hayden's final phase cause it just seemed impossible to me. I'll try to beat it proper next time around, now that I know you can kill the damn eye lightning things.

Master levels for these would probably be too much for me. The levels as they are are already harder than any master level in the original game. If any came out, I would probably have to step down to UV.

Turns out the other marine on the OG cover art is not just canon, but he’s now the dark lord?

or maybe it’s a cheeky way of making deathmatch canon.

I’ve always hoped the conclusion would involve the slayer getting his gifts revoked but remaining just as totally bad ass while every God like entity around him complains that doesn’t make any sense.

I liked the DLC. The difficulty was incredible, it was a real challenge. I have never played someting that hard in a Doom series.

The criticisms that I have are related to the story. Everything else, I have no complaints.

9 hours ago, Kaos said:

As much as I'm aware that in doom the plot is still something expected to be there but that no one cares about, I don't think the building of this doomuniverse is really going in the right direction. And I would not really like to see the doom slayer challenging his dark side in a end of the saga reveal were maybe we find out that the doom slayer is in reality a supreme being that was split in a good and evil part (sigh!).

Agree.

Also, maybe the idea of having direct contact with ruler entities (The Father and The Dark Lord) is the thing that I don't like at all. You can fight big demons or big angels, but now you're dealing directly with things that have nothing above them (at least, that's what's implied in the codex). It sounds "cool" to fight Satan, we could say, but it also means that we reached the peak of what we can fight against (in terms of Hell things). 

That has to do, also, with the fact that they progressively started adding god-like characteristics to the Doomguy (which, again, was a thing that I didn't like).

The question is: is it gonna be the end of Doom series if you kill the actual ruler of Hell?

We'll see.

Apparently Hugo visited ByteMe's livestream (linked to relevant timestamp) at the end to ask him about the DLC. ByteMe was already expressing disappointment over the possibility of a multiverse in regards to the Dark Lord's reveal (there seemed to be a chat delay). Hugo then shared an interesting statement:

dpbavTq.png

7hJlHD1.png

---

I initially investigated this from a Reddit thread that was confused about Hugo's "not multiverse" response. The OP didn't provide a source but someone else mentioned ByteMe.

Here's Hugo's response to the OP:

OKi3gpl.png

Not sure what are the different definitions of multiverses, but here is an approximate transcript of what ByteMe was saying when Hugo mentioned "not multiverse", to better understand the context of Hugo's reply:

ByteMe: "I hope it's not multiverse. I don't understand it right now but yeah I'm not a big fan of the multiverse stuff at all. It has been beaten to the ground too much, it's like deep comics. I'm just not about that. I like contained stories that make sense. And right now I'm kind of, I've got... It's like, what do you call it in Chess? Where you get two question marks on a move?"

This is when Hugo replied with "Not multiverse". Hugo then follows it shortly after by the upper-case version.

---

A multiverse is directly mentioned in the Doom Eternal artbook "Processing a veritable kaleidoscope of hyperfluxal phenomena, VEGA observes what may very well be the result of a multiverse imploding inward upon itself, where countless battles are fought between the Doom Slayer and demonkind." A multiverse is somewhat implied by a deleted Khan Maykr voice line: "I will send you back to your home - the Earth world in the seventh dimension".

A multiverse would also be needed to reconcile the timeline differences between the games. According to 2016 lore, the UAC founded a base on Mars in 2096 and the Doom Slayer's tomb was retrieved in 2145. If Doomguy was to be sent to Mars as punishment within this timeline, it would have to be after 2096 - and Doom, Doom II, Doom 64, the time with the Sentinels, the war against Hell, and the sealing into the sarcophagus - would all be within 49 years. Samuel, VEGA, the UAC, the ARC, the Maykrs, and Hell - none of these parties suggest or hint that the Earth was invaded recently. If they took the time to mention Agaddon Hunters appearing millions of years ago, then it's not impossible to imagine they could mention an invasion in the last 49 years. Time cannot be slowed in other worlds like Hell (as a popular counter-argument proposes) because the Slayer goes to Kadingir Sanctum in 2016 and returns to find the demons have already destroyed most of the Argent Facility. Hayden is able to contact the Slayer in real-time in Nekroval. The ARC intern could contact the Slayer in real-time in the Blood Swamps. There isn't any suggestion or hint that there's an inconsistency in timelines between Hell and other worlds.

The Doom multiverse theory is necessary to explain these timeline differences between the Classic and Slayer games. Alternatively, maybe Hugo meant on stream that the Dark Lord is not from another universe, but doesn't necessarily negate the existence of a Doom multiverse in general.

I don't know what to think of it. I just thought I should share Hugo's comments on here to see if anyone here can interpret them any better.

---

Separately, here are some updates from the launch livestream:

- DLC 2 will have Meat Hook challenges and that DLC 1 doesn't have anything like it.

- Ice Bomb may be rebalanced in the future. They want to tone down top level strategies.

- Super Gore Nest Master Level, along with additional Master Level modes and cosmetic unlocks, are coming in December.

2 hours ago, AtimZarr1 said:

Ice Bomb may be rebalanced in the future. They want to tone down top level strategies

Gawd, I hope not :(

Ice Bomb is... well... the bomb!

Anyway, just finished the DLC.

I'm both pleased with new things being added, but also felt that it was a bit much. The combat is exhausting. I play on Nightmare, and in some parts, I dropped down to I'm Too Young To Die, not because of the difficulty, but because I just wanted time to enjoy the scenery, haha. I feel with the game being so frenetic, there's less chance to appreciate some of the environments, which by the way are the best in the current series, IMO. Some sections of the Blood Swaps are downright gorgeous and show what Hell could have been like in the distant past. And the opening stages of The Holt were equally stunning.

Combat was as expected, top notch, apart from it being possibly a little over the top. Hugo hinted that it's going to ramp up again in DLC2, which I think takes us into Dark Souls territory. Not something I'm excited about if I'm honest.

As for the plot, it's clear now that Doom 2016 was done with no thought to the future. The series has taken the skeleton of that plot and gone off in a very different direction.

I'm not overly keen on the idea of the Dark Lord being another Slayer, but we'll see how it plays out in DLC2. I find it odd that an ancient being (Davoth) who was created BEFORE the Slayer, now has a Slayer's body. Of course, was it ever mentioned that Davoth IS the Dark Lord? I seem to recall mention of "the current ruler of Hell"/"the current Dark Lord" which implies that someone (Slayer?) took over from Davoth, which means that wasn't his Life Sphere we returned?

I really hope DLC2 clears this stuff up. Nothing is really making a lot of sense, plot wise.

The makyr, earth, and hell dimensions present in D2016 and Eternal constitute a "multiverse" in that they are separate spatial dimensions.

The idea that there multiple incarnations of Doomguy in different timelines, such as Doom 1/2 and Doom 3 being contained timelines, would also be a "multiverse"

Martin might have meant one of these things, but not the other, perhaps?

My thought is that the DLC design seems to reflect the subconscious & psychological impact that the dev team endured under COVID stay-at-home orders (I believe the studios were and are currently closed due to the pandemic).

Very tight and claustrophobic fights and maximum sensory overload in the DLC design. No time to breathe or rest, complete chaos and mayhem. They may not even be aware of the fact their design was impacted by being stuck at home in confinement or the chaos and panic that ensued these past several months, of which inflicted it's toll on our mind and senses and possibly influenced the creative subconcious even if unknowingly.

Of course, that's all freudian in nature.... but so is the term 'id'. Ironic of what's in a name, isn't it?

Might have been misunderstanding it but:

Is the idea of the Dark Lord that he eventually became an evil Doomguy clone because of Doomguy summoning him back or because Hell decided an almost perfect copy could have been the solution to defeat Doomguy?

Either way, i hope he becomes the actual "anti Doomguy" gameplay-wise that the Marauder didn't really become.

Still, a lot about this lore comes off as an interesting experiment with a lot of great ideas but it also grows too much of its own identity from what you'd expect out of Doom.

^ my current theory is that the Slayer is going to replace the current Dark Lord as the new ruler (below Davoth) of Hell.

And that it's a continual cycle; the Slayers take each others' places and the cycle repeats.

If there is a sight of a multiverse, i'll be pretty much going for that since there are many questionable continuity problems in both "DOOM Slayer" games and the classics. You can notice that DOOM 3 (A counterpart universe) sets after DOOM 64 discovering the hell realm that Doomguy decided to stay. The ancient buildings from the martian civilization in DOOM 3 is basically work of the Maykr race or the dark lords. Samuel Hayden (general Hayden) was originally going to be the villain in DOOM 3. I personally believe this pretty much fits on the whole story events from the franchise.

Funny thinking: It would be nice if the canned DOOM 4 sets before and during the events of DOOM II: Hell on Earth. Like Tom Hollenshead (Former id CEO) said, the game wasn't a reboot and neither a DOOM 3 sequel. If you look further into the design of the project there are familiar roles that were later repurposed on DOOM (2016.)

If it's not a multiverse (either of other doom games or of all id games), then it's quite possibly a time loop where future slayer and past marine could possibly cross paths in some sort of space/time paradox. Or there is a past (marine)/present(Slayer)/future(???) variants that coexist across the story (UAC does have technology capable of such, and if slipgates are a thing, that makes it possible to go back in time and be your own grandpa I guess)

HOWEVER, thewormofautumns comment above makes it seem like it's going to take a "The Dark Tower" approach (which was a multiverse saga of Stephen King's) where Slayer's tale is a long one and he is "doomed" to be repeat it for all eternity. Just when he thinks it ends, it starts all over again with little to no recollection of what had occured prior and only a artifact to give him hope he might defeat them 'this time'. I'll call this theory the slayers own personal hell theory.

Or perhaps thewormofautumns is referring to more of a bloodborne-like ending where Slayer essentially becomes a Great One himself but basically becomes the monster he swore to destroy.

Or maybe they love Dallas so much down there at Id HQ that they drew inspiration from the tv show of the same name and Slayer wakes up with his wife and kid at home on Earth and says "what a terrible dream I just had" and he's not really a Slayer but some a average dude who just works at the UAC (or perhaps he's sam hayden dreaming) and life goes on or it causes him to realize a proje t at work will lead to this sort of event and he stops it from his dream state premonition before it begins. After all,there was that photo on the floor of his presumed family picture with wife and son and his face cropped out in a pre-patched version of Eternal. Of course, this would be fanbase suicide for this dallas-theory plot, lol, but I guess anything's possible!

Edited by Buckshot

What I really liked about this game is that fodder demons are not only way more numerous than in the base campaign - making the DLC feel even more like oldschool Doom with you being able to kill literal hordes of them, and their danger coming from their numbers - but they're also required to be mopped up before checkpoints are unlocked. In the base campaign you could leave them around, which made them feel less like legitimate enemies and more like walking resource bags to be harvested for health and ammo. Definitely a move in the right direction.

The difficulty is absolutely ridiculous, I must have died well over a hundred times on the first level (playing on Nightmare ofc) Still liked it and gonna continue and finish the campaign. Watched an LP already so I know what to expect, and the difficulty of the later two levels appears even more grotesque - makes me think of it as kinda like a legit, developer approved Hell Revealed, lol 

I need to read all the codex entries to properly appreciate the plot but yeah, there were ample hints dropped earlier that Samuel is Samur and Vega is the Father. The plot did move very quickly towards dispatching the Dark Lord though, and that kinda seems like the end goal of the entire storyline - so I'm hoping it's not going to be the end. After that there's still room for a story where Doomguy takes the fight to hell and finally finishes the job for good this time.

On 10/20/2020 at 6:01 PM, AtimZarr1 said:

I started having doubts about the Slayer here in the cutscene, mostly because I wasn't sure on why he was doing what he was doing. We learn later that the Slayer plans to resurrect the Dark Lord in order to kill him permanently, which will destroy all the demons outside of Hell. So I suppose the Slayer is opting for a straight-to-the-source and permanent-solution plan rather than a temporary one likely enacted by the Father if he were to resurrect (like last time).

It also wasn't in the Slayer's interest to resurrect the Father. His goal is to stop the war against hell so they stop invading worlds, the only way to do that is to manifest the Dark Lord into a physical form and kill him off completely so he stops whispering orders to his minions. The Father wants the Dark Lord alive though despite everything because he is his creation, so resurrecting the father would have ensured the Dark Lord stayed alive and the demons could keep invading worlds as they pleased, just not Urdak. The Slayer doesn't want that of course, he just wants it to end already, so in the end he made the right choice in that regard.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

I loved the DLC and the additional challenge it provided. There are some quibbles here and there (such as the Spirit-possessed enemies being a tad bit too durable IMO), but nothing that ruined the experience. I might even warm up to these aspects on subsequent playthroughs, and my initial run was on Nightmare, anyway, so I shouldn't be complaining too much.

I will be quite surprised if they scratch the multiverse thing entirely. Either they have a extremely clever way of connecting all the timelines without retconning everything (doom 2016 and eternal included) or they will leave behind a plotholes mess. 

Unless the base assumption that doomguy and doom slayer are the same person is wrong and they are not. 

So Doomguy ended up staying in hell and becoming the dark lord, while doom slayer is maybe the doom 3 protagonist and the end of doom 3 is actually him being transported to sentinel prime. 

Eventually as said above, I am not a fan of the multiverse thing since it provide easy escapes and deus ex machina, is the known form of "it's magic I don't have to explain shit" (substitute multiverse with magic and you got it). So I really hope we are not left with this sort of explanation.

In his interview Hugo was clear enough that they wanted to turn things up to 11, but it come at a cost of making things a bit cheesy in my opinion.

16 hours ago, thewormofautumn said:

Of course, was it ever mentioned that Davoth IS the Dark Lord? I seem to recall mention of "the current ruler of Hell"/"the current Dark Lord" which implies that someone (Slayer?) took over from Davoth, which means that wasn't his Life Sphere we returned?

Aren't they life spheres for gods only? The codex also hints at Davoth being the Dark Lord:

Part I:

In the same moment he brought forth Jekkad, The Father forged Davoth to steward the realm. Davoth was a Primeval, one of The Father's first gods, and of such strength that each realm could contain only one.

Part VIII

Believing Jekkad rejected by their creator, hate grew within Davoth. Jekkad fell further into inequity as Davoth consumed all the realm in pursuit of his goals, and The Father sorrowfully sealed Jekakd away from the other realms. The Primeval, created to protect and shepherd the people of his realm, stoked an eternal fury toward The Father as more of his people fell to mortality. He became the Dark Lord and raged against the walls of Jekkad.

The Father sensed this and knew they both needed to leave the physical realms before their warring lieutenants tore creation apart. It was then that The Father returned to Jekkad, now called Hell by many. Atop the Pyramid of the Lost where Hell once worshipped The Father, as the skies split and Hell trembled, The Father ripped the Dark Lord's life sphere from his chest. He placed it in the Tomb of Souls, unwilling to obliterate the Dark Lord's essence entirely as he had favored Davoth once.

Some general thoughts:

Vega/Father storyline: I did not feel comfortable destroying the sphere. Why should I kill the life sphere of my best ally? The relationship between Vega and the Slayer has always been something special and remarkable. I agree with the interpretation of @oCrapaCreeper ("The Father wants the Dark Lord alive though despite everything because he is his creation, so resurrecting the father would have ensured the Dark Lord stayed alive and the demons could keep invading worlds as they pleased, just not Urdak."), but I still don't like it. Of course, this was Doomguys revenge on Samur/Samuel. But at what price?

Doomguy/Doomslayer: Him being called Doomguy is one of the strongest hints at the Slayers origin (of course, the Khan Maykrs sentence also kind of confirmed this: "I will send you back to your home - the Earth world in the seventh dimension")

Doomslayer/Dark Lord: The final line "The Dark Lord is the leader of Hells armies. Not a king, but a warrior of the Dark Realm" kind of confused me. According to the codex (see above, Part VIII) the Dark Lord is Davoth. And Davoth was, also according to the codex, one of the first gods (see above, Part I). I do not think this is the Doomguy from Doom 64, since Doom 64 perfectly connects the storylines of Doom I + II with Doom 2016 + Eternal. I wonder how they will handle this in the second DLC.

Gameplay: This is one of the major weaknesses of the first DLC. Since the Slayer is fully equipped, there is no progress. This also forced id Software to make the arenas really hard, otherwise it would just be boring. I'm playing Eternal on Nightmare right now and UV was for most of thr DLC  just fine for me (except for the Samur boss fight). Unfortunately the DLC gets quite repetitive - after a while I wasn't worried anymore when 1 or 2 Barons entered the arena because this just meant some extra combat cycles. But the DLC also contained some nice and entertaining ideas: The dog which guards you through the toxic sections in the Blood Swamps, the Pinky slaughter scene in the Holt.

In general the DLC is like a master level, just a little harder.

12 minutes ago, Swordofdanu said:

Haven't seen any mention of the soundtrack, how is it? 

I like the DLCs soundtrack more than Eternals one. In the DLC it's not just metal anymore. In Eternal I sometimes reduced the volume because the constant sound aggression was really getting on my nerves.

4 hours ago, igg said:

According to the codex (see above, Part VIII) the Dark Lord is Davoth.

In my view he was the FIRST Dark Lord.

but remember this, from 2016:

" the Barons of Hell are the current Royal Guard of the unknown dark lord of the fourth age"

- UAC REPORT FILE: IIS5LW21 (Baron of Hell Codex 2), Doom 2016 "

that implies that the Dark Lord has changed over time 

53 minutes ago, igg said:

I like the DLCs soundtrack more than Eternals one. In the DLC it's not just metal anymore. In Eternal I sometimes reduced the volume because the constant sound aggression was really getting on my nerves.

Interesting, thanks. 

I'll have to check it out.