Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jacek Bourne

Testing Issue In DoomBuidler 2

Whenever I try to test the maps I've created recently, it fails and says "Unable to start the test program, Win32Exception: The operation was cancelled by the user" If you know what is going on and how I may be able to fix it, please respond.

I still await a reply. I do not know why this error is occurring. Can someone please tell me what's wrong so I can start making maps again?

Are you sure you've set up the testing program correctly? Load your map, press F6, and review the settings for the game configuration you're building for. Make sure the application/executable actually exists, for example. (And if you're trying to test using the original, DOS version of Doom, you'll probably want to use something like Chocolate Doom in its place; easier than trying to figure out how to get it to launch in DOSbox.)

I’m having it launch in GzDoom. Will it have issues there? I can run these levels outside of doom builder however try to test them within it will always fail. This applies even to levels I’ve created in the past using doom builder 2, before this issue arose.

One issue is DB2 hasn't been actively developed for years, so there aren't any devs around to help you out.

It might be worth trying Ultimate Doom Builder or Doom Builder X, as then if you're still having issues you can ask the devs for guidance, who'll know more than anyone else.

When something does not work after it had been working, then it usually points to some user created issue or, perhaps, a computer corruption.

Not having more info of the problem, I would, as a first step, delete the file Builder.cfg (C:\Users\computername\AppData\Local\Doom Builder) and let the editor generate a new one.

I am surprised that Doombuilder2 is still being used.

In order to help you, give us as much info as possible.

As a next step,

which sites did you download the editors from?

Where on your computer did you install the editors, which path?

Did you install in a new folder, or did you overwrite in the same folder?

Tell us about your computer specs, mainly which graphics card precisely.

I am using a laptop.

I don't know what site I got it off of because that was months ago. 

I don't remember which path I selected. If there's a way to find out then that may be helpful.

I didn't install in a new folder.

Graphics Card is a GeForce RTX 2060.

I was able to get Doombuidler x to work however it still is permeated by the same issue regarding testing.

For some reason I was able to use testing at a different internet service provider without issue. I can't just go there whenever I want to make doom levels though.

It is important to note however that when I try to run these maps directly using a sourceport, it works perfectly. I only am given issue when going through Doombuilder Testing.

Edited by Jacek Bourne

For some unknown reason testing in doombuilder is working again. I don't know why or how. I haven't changed anything, however it is working again. If I have the same problem again in the future I will return to this thread and continue trying to figure what the problem was.

The same problem has returned. Unknown cause of return. Again I haven't changed anything. If you know what the hell is causing this bullshit, then post it here.

On 10/28/2020 at 7:12 AM, Jacek Bourne said:

I don't know what site I got it off of because that was months ago. 

The official site to download the editor, in descending order, is

https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/ultimatedoombuilder/

https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdbbf/

https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doombuilder2-gzdb/

http://doombuilder.com/index.php?p=downloads 

Note the DB2 requires SlimDX, which is difficult to come by these days, but you could try to run the installer from the Doombuilder site, use mirror #1

http://doombuilder.com/index.php?p=downloads

I don't remember which path I selected. If there's a way to find out then that may be helpful.

WindowsKey+E opens the File Editor where you can find the path of the UDB installation.

If UDB is installed in C:\Progam Files or C:\Progam Files (x86), move it into its own directory and folder, as in  C:\DOOM_EDITORS\Ultimate_Doom_Builder or something like this.

Or, if it is installed in C:\Progam Files or C:\Progam Files (x86), then click on

BY7pk5Z.png

and try that.

I didn't install in a new folder.

I always install in a new folder and never overwrite an old installation.

Graphics Card is a GeForce RTX 2060.

That should give you ample headroom to run any editor or game.

I was able to get Doombuidler x to work however it still is permeated by the same issue regarding testing.

For some reason I was able to use testing at a different internet service provider without issue. I can't just go there whenever I want to make doom levels though.

It is important to note however that when I try to run these maps directly using a sourceport, it works perfectly. I only am given issue when going through Doombuilder Testing.

I don't understand what you mean by all that.

To test a map from the editor you have to set up the path to the sourceport in F6.

Enable the map format you use and select the game engine.

Edited by Kappes Buur

No matter which doombuilder program I use it gives me the same issue from before.

I misunderstood your question about using a new folder. I though you mean't creating a new folder separately from the one the installer uses.

I have doombuilder set up to run through a sourceport specifically GZDoom or PrBoom+ except I still run into the same issue regarding testing. Whenever I run the levels I make outside of doombuilder, it works perfectly. I only have problems running them in doombuilder.   

Regarding the internet comment I made. I think that was unrelated because It appears to randomly start working and stop working sometimes. For example, a couple days ago. 

1 hour ago, Jacek Bourne said:

I though you mean't creating a new folder separately from the one the installer uses.

Yes, he meant that. He also pointed out that he reinstalls but keeps the old installer without overwriting it.

1 hour ago, Jacek Bourne said:

Regarding the internet comment I made. I think that was unrelated because It appears to randomly start working and stop working sometimes. For example, a couple days ago. 

It's not unrelated, you're just misunderstanding everyone here.
If you didn't understand them, better google the error by yourself.

---

Ultimately, playtesting feature is pretty worthless to me, i already have a launcher next to the builder in the taskbar, i can select source ports faster, i can play my level with other pwads and mods, i can play in multiplayer, and more.

(TL;DR manually testing your wad is the only way to fix the error)

2 hours ago, Jacek Bourne said:

I misunderstood your question about using a new folder. I though you mean't creating a new folder separately from the one the installer uses.

I do not install the editor through the automatic install process when a new version is published. I download the zip file and store it into a new directory. I never overwrite an old installation, which means that I have several versions of the editors, from DB2 to UDB, installed at the same time.

peDwt7G.png

But it's easy enough to delete old versions.

These files are installed upon unzipping.

hdeYIiR.png

Then I create a shortcut for the desktop.

When the editor is run for the first time, it creates a file UDBuilder.cfg in

C:\Users\computername\AppData\Local\Doom Builder

to hold all GUI settings which are required for the operation of the editor.

With the editor open, you have to set up the paths to the IWAD(s) and to the sourceport.

See the videos by Michael McEnery

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9E4BBB4089D9DD09

Once you have created your map, you can test it (F9) with the IWAD and the sourceport you have set up (F6). You can close the sourceport and edit the map if so required. Then save the map.

2 hours ago, Jacek Bourne said:

I have doombuilder set up to run through a sourceport specifically GZDoom or PrBoom+ except I still run into the same issue regarding testing.

It's the other way round.

You do not run the editor through a sourceport, you run the sourceport through the editor.

3 hours ago, Jacek Bourne said:

With the internet connection open, the editor will check if a new version is available for downloading. But that can be disabled.

QYOv3TN.png

Other than the above make sure that your Windows OS and the graphics drivers are up to date.