Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMagicMushroomMan

What is your honest opinion on the Doom comic?

I really enjoyed the comic! Wish there was more of it.
Unfortunately, the comic has had a pretty bad "impact" on the community, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about

1 minute ago, NoahRules said:

I really enjoyed the comic! Wish there was more of it.
Unfortunately, the comic has had a pretty bad "impact" on the community, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about

To be honest, I don't know what you're talking about. Rip and Tear? Spanking Cybie? Environmental pollution? I don't know much about the comic, but I have read it.

I thought it was really fun and funny. I wouldn't want to see the gimmick run into the ground, but if there had been say 5 issues, I think it could have retained the fun while not going overboard (I mean really, even now, I feel like there's hardly more than 5 comics worth of lore and humor to squeeze out of Doom from a story perspective)

2 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

To be honest, I don't know what you're talking about. Rip and Tear? Spanking Cybie? Environmental pollution? I don't know much about the comic, but I have read it.

I'm mainly talking about the "Rip and Tear" memes, I do find it cool how Doom 2016 and Eternal referenced this but I don't like how the community has run the quote into the ground (At least in my opinion)

It is terrible; so ridiculously cheesy that you could use it to make 12 large pizzas with extra cheese, cheesy crust, and cheese sticks on the side.

They could probably make a really good comic out of doom now, although they'd probably make them tied to/based off of the new ones, which isn't bad, but I would love to see some made for the old games.

No matter what they do with it, however, it would still be 100x better as long as it doesn't contain the phrase "all reet then."

It's dumb fun, with some memorable moments, but sort of ugly and sometimes badly drawn, quite a disappointing finale. When Doomguy got the BFG, pretty sure many expected a massive green blast blasting cybie's upper half in a shower of gore and green plasma, instead we got a bunch of yellow lasers/bullet tracers killing cybie in an lame way. 

I unironically think it's pretty great. It's "what if fighting Demons all day every day made Doomguy just a little bit unhinged, like Ash from Evil Dead?" - that's the joke they were going for and I think it lands pretty well. Of course you'd go insane if this was your life. It's a funny comic. Yeah the art's not amazing, but I've seen worse.

Just imagine had incredibly dull it would have been if they'd played it straight. Going a bit silly and comedic with it was the best choice they could have made.

4 hours ago, NoahRules said:

I'm mainly talking about the "Rip and Tear" memes, I do find it cool how Doom 2016 and Eternal referenced this but I don't like how the community has run the quote into the ground (At least in my opinion)

Rip and Tear memes.

The most unfunny piece of content the entire community has produced.

Its a cool and funny one liner fest!

Also shows that something with less plot than the original game can be entertaining too.

Never take the time to search, but are there comics or some kind of entertainment based on Duke Nukem?

I always thought Duke douche would be an interesting read.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

Its a cool and funny one liner fest!

Also shows that something with less plot than the original game can be entertaining too.

Never take the time to search, but are there comics or some kind of entertainment based on Duke Nukem?

I always thought Duke douche would be an interesting read.

The Duke Nukem Forever balls of steel edition had a comic book with it, I've never read it though.

Edited by GraphicBleeder

2 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I love it, enough that I even made it into a faithful map.

Really? Got a link? - I was idly thinking of doing some comic-style textures/sprites for a very silly "Doom: The Comic: The Game" style mod

love the Doom comic. It's absolute 90's cheese and revels in it. The art's pretty nice and has some good energy to it, and almost every line of dialogue is quotable.

9 minutes ago, GraphicBleeder said:

The Duke Nukem Forever balls of steel edition had a comic book with it, I've never read it though

In addition, there was a four-issue miniseries about Duke going back in time to WW2 called Glorious Bastard, which is actually pretty good. There was a trade paperback collecting both Glorious Bastard and the one-shot from the BoS edition.

Spoiler

1175975998_Dukerocker1.jpg.459e3c105375a3762f26dfcb00c81136.jpg

89073587_DukeRocker2.jpg.3b92917344b13a17ad23ab952b28d112.jpg

15 minutes ago, Komenja said:

love the Doom comic. It's absolute 90's cheese and revels in it. The art's pretty nice and has some good energy to it, and almost every line of dialogue is quotable.

In addition, there was a four-issue miniseries about Duke going back in time to WW2 called Glorious Bastard, which is actually pretty good. There was a trade paperback collecting both Glorious Bastard and the one-shot from the BoS edition.

Reveal hidden contents

1175975998_Dukerocker1.jpg.459e3c105375a3762f26dfcb00c81136.jpg

89073587_DukeRocker2.jpg.3b92917344b13a17ad23ab952b28d112.jpg

Dude that looks pretty cool. Is there a link to the pdf or a place to buy it or...?

I definitely appreciate it on a purely ironic level, but I doubly appreciate how the nuDoom games took the "Rip n' Tear!" line and managed to make it cool, though that may be debatable among some hehe. My favourite way to appreciate it is through this old video Linkara did on it. I love the voice he does for Doomguy when reading it.

[Timestamped for your convenience]

6 hours ago, GraphicBleeder said:

Rip and Tear memes.

The most unfunny piece of content the entire community has produced.

I wouldn't say that, you don't remember those painfully unfunny Doom Eternal and Animal crossing memes?  

2 minutes ago, NoahRules said:

I wouldn't say that, you don't remember those painfully unfunny Doom Eternal and Animal crossing memes?  

At least people put in some "effort" into making art for those, even if the memes were dogshit.