Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HombreSal

Who is the oldest continually active member in doomworld?

I would say it would have to be Linguica. Although technically John Romero has an older join date of December 10, 1993; but that join date was modified as a joke.

I misread the title and was hoping to see a lively 92yo taking home the “oldest active Doomworld member” title :-P I dunno why but it always just warms my soul when I see people in their 80’s and 90’s enjoying video games :-D

Anyways, yep Linguica started Doomworld so he woulda been the first person on the site :-)

1 hour ago, Jello said:

Although technically John Romero has an older join date of December 10, 1993; but that join date was modified as a joke.

The earliest join date is Julian's.

More correct question would be: "Who is the oldest continually active member in doomworld? Except Linguica and Mordeth"

6 minutes ago, Mordeth said:

Pretty sure that fails the "continually active" criteria cited in the thread title. So... I'll be expecting my well-earned cookies in the mail shortly :)

Well, looks like his last post was on Saturday, so I think that counts as active. I knew you've been around for a long ass time, but Ling has you beat by a hair. You guys can divvy up the cookies as you see fit. Or you know, you could give them to someone who wasn't a founder. Not sure who that would be though.

And @Grazza: I forgot about Julian's absurd join date. However it looks like the last post by Julian was back in 2013, so that definitely fails the continually active criteria. 

7 minutes ago, Jello said:

Well, looks like his last post was on Saturday, so I think that counts as active.

Doomwiki says he has been active not the whole period.

18 minutes ago, Jello said:

you could give them to someone who wasn't a founder. 

Why? Do you think it's easy to stick to something (unprofitable) for 22 years just because you are a founder?

36 minutes ago, Mordeth said:

Pretty sure that fails the "continually active" criteria cited in the thread title. So... I'll be expecting my well-earned cookies in the mail shortly :)

Hehehehe I actually almost was going to add you to that comment but wasn’t sure who was the first person in the initial build before the site went live :-P

With the additional info @dmslrprovided regarding Linguica taking (I am sure well deserved) breaks, I will have to eat my words and now believe you deserve the trophy and ALL of the cookies :-D

The question makes me think of age, at one point it would have been Ty who sadly passed some years ago, GreyGhost was active and in his 60’s but is now awol - hopefully not gone though.. @Steve D and @Doom_Dude, please don’t be annoyed at me for singling you guys out, but I think you may be the oldest most experienced active Doomworld denizens.. right?

god, i remember GreyGhost being quite active too. i hope nothing has happened to them, last time they posted were back in 2016...

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

The question makes me think of age, at one point it would have been Ty who sadly passed some years ago, GreyGhost was active and in his 60’s but is now awol - hopefully not gone though.. @Steve D and @Doom_Dude, please don’t be annoyed at me for singling you guys out, but I think you may be the oldest most experienced active Doomworld denizens.. right?

You'll have to do better than that to get me annoyed. ;) I'm one of the old ones yeah, and have been around since 2000. I was only slightly active here for years, then Newdoom went away, so I migrated over here and started posting more crap and stuff. I'm probably more old and lazy than experienced. :D

What about Covaro, he was doing the news right after Linguica started posting. And Bloodshedder has been around since 99. And the mysterious Mordeth, who pops up when you least expect it. ;)

Edited by Doom_Dude

@Doom_Dude if you don't mind may I ask your age?

54 minutes ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

god, i remember GreyGhost being quite active too. i hope nothing has happened to them, last time they posted were back in 2016...

I just remembered there was a topic about "suddenly disappeared" DW members. By you, @Doomkid, if I'm not mistaken?

Linguica under any interpretation of the title.

- Continually active: yeah, he's been around since DW started and is currently active.

- Oldest: yeah, the Bible makes references to him. He's been around for thousands of years. Doomworld is rumored to be primarily an experiment who gets into heaven and who is condemned to... Post Hell Everything Else. 

I've been mapping since July 1996 but did not join DW until 2005.

1 hour ago, ‹rd› said:

who is condemned to... Post Hell Everything Else. 

Don't you mean condemned to the Doomer Boards?

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

@Searcher had grandchildren as early as 2002 (Gene Bird) so he might have both of them beat.

10 hours ago, HombreSal said:

As in, the one who's been here before everyone else and is still active to this day

Do you mean continously active (i.e. earliest join date and remained reasonably active ever since) or do you simply mean earliest join date and active today?

Because your thread title suggests the former while your top post suggests the latter.

6 hours ago, pcorf said:

I've been mapping since July 1996 but did not join DW until 2005.

If we're counting that, then @Enjay's a strong contender.

Pretty sure is @Mordeth, since Ling had a period off from Doomworld, tho, indeed, he's the oldest user. That makes me think of the crazy loyalty of these guys, people who have been in the community for almost three decades. Respect.

I might be among the longest-active regular members (non-founder/mod). I've been visiting Doomworld since before it had forums.