Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Has This Game Become A Joke?

Having seen Joker though, it never felt like it was just being edgy for its own sake. There's social commentary in there, you're just not leadenly beaten about the head with it in the form of tediously pious exposition. Satanic and Nazi imagery was used in classic Doom because it makes sense that the Nazis would be rotting in Hell.

1 minute ago, NoXion said:

Having seen Joker though, it never felt like it was just being edgy for its own sake. There's social commentary in there, you're just not leadenly beaten about the head with it in the form of tediously pious exposition. Satanic and Nazi imagery was used in classic Doom because it makes sense that the Nazis would be rotting in Hell.

my mom sold my first copy of wolf 3D for jag because of swastikas and the satanic tones of doom were more problematic than you seem to remember.
It looks old now but the level of violence in these was pretty controversial. doom was banned in germany and not because of wolf secrets

10 hours ago, NoXion said:

Nazi imagery was used in classic Doom because it makes sense that the Nazis would be rotting in Hell.

No it's because they were secret Wolfenstein levels. id liked to put in references to their older games. There is no greater meaning there. 

13 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

They tried old school deathmatch in 2016 and no one played it

Because now more popular "regal battles" with "pay-to-get a chance to win" mechanics. Quake 3 and CS 1.6 is still alive, but have much smaller player base than some Fork-knife

13 hours ago, Sunnyfruit said:

Humor is subjective. 

No, its not. Please stop be stupid.
Things that make you laugh is subjective, but humor is not. And its not the same things!!!!!!!1111

If I fart right here and now would it be funny? Probably. It depends from much of a factors, even from you current mood. This a thing that make you laugh.
But is it would be a well made and timed, successful, thoughtful 'joke'? No, because it happened right here and now, without any context. And this is a humor.
It possible to tell hilarious joke in a such way that all reaction you get would be "ha??????" or incredible stupid one which will bend everyone in a half in two kilometers radius from Homeric laugh attack.

11 hours ago, NoXion said:

There's social commentary in there, you're just not leadenly beaten about the head with it in the form of tediously pious exposition.

They "mortally challenged", hahahaha.
You get get, right?! They "mortally" and they "challenged". Get it, get it, right, right!? Its simply genius. Its simple, and its genius. They demons, and the "mortally challenged", ohohohohoho.... And you Doomslayer, and you not "mortally challenged", since you have an extra lifes. You get it right, right, right, right?!?!?!?!?!??!!?
Social commentary which we deserved.....

14 hours ago, Deimos said:

People forget too easily why id put gore, pentagrams and swastikas by the metric ton in their games to begin with.

And the reason was because they thought it was fun and at the time, they were also young and couldn't care less, so they enjoyed having edgy material in their games. There is no greater plot at hand, context in which these games were built is all that matters, and this is all there ever was to it. A lot of '90s art was spicy, and Doom was no different, all through different means.

56 minutes ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

You get get, right?! They "mortally" and they "challenged". Get it, get it, right, right!? Its simply genius. Its simple, and its genius. They demons, and the "mortally challenged", ohohohohoho.... And you Doomslayer, and you not "mortally challenged", since you have an extra lifes. You get it right, right, right, right?!?!?!?!?!??!!?

I was referring to the Joker film with that sentence, but it's there in nuDoom as well. Amoral corporations extracting resources to the detriment of wider humanity is rather topical after all.

2 hours ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

Things that make you laugh is subjective, but humor is not.

Yes a banana is yellow, but not golden. You are arguing semantics they are the same thing.  

7 hours ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

UAC Spokeswoman: Please don't make a joke about the Mortally Challenged, they are very brave to ensure the new renovation and trasformation on how living in earth shall be. This type of action can be flagged as "bad intentions" and such will get punishment as Reduction of your UAC Credits Points. 

Remember, they are your friends and neighbours, not a zombie with a gun. Know the difference and be a good UAC Employer/Citizen/Future Mortally Challenged. 

4 hours ago, seed said:

And the reason was because they thought it was fun and at the time, they were also young and couldn't care less, so they enjoyed having edgy material in their games. There is no greater plot at hand, context in which these games were built is all that matters, and this is all there ever was to it. A lot of '90s art was spicy, and Doom was no different, all through different means.

yes, that's the spirit that can do great things, not being scared to shock.

9 minutes ago, Deimos said:

yes, that's the spirit that can do great things, not being scared to shock.

Now with that sentiment, I can agree 100% 👍.

5 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

You are arguing semantics they are the same thing.  

Great argumentation. So "two "and "second "are now mean the same thing, I will take it in mind. Please dont answer to my messages on this theme further in this topic.

3 hours ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Reduction of your UAC Credits Points

:(

4 minutes ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

Please dont answer to my messages on this theme further in this topic.

So you pretty much admit that all of your arguments on this theme are pretty much invalid, right?

11 hours ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

Humor is super subjective. Its stupid to argue otherwise

The fact that people found some jokes in eternal funny and you didn't proves that.

We get if you hate Doom Eternal, but no need to bend reality to prove that 

Ohh the Irony... Because your bad attempt at humor is probably only funny to you.

I cant believe you wasted time to type that just to make yourself look childish good job.

Edited by jazzmaster9

8 hours ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

Great argumentation. So "two "and "second "are now mean the same thing, I will take it in mind. Please dont answer to my messages on this theme further in this topic.

Your quote:

17 hours ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

Things that make you laugh is subjective, but humor is not.

Merriam Webster Definition of humor:

1b: the mental faculty of discovering, expressing, or appreciating the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous : the ability to be funny or to be amused by things that are funny

Regardless of what the words mean in this context you are still wrong because humor is subjective.

7 minutes ago, Super Mighty G said:

Your quote:

Merriam Webster Definition of humor:

1b: the mental faculty of discovering, expressing, or appreciating the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous : the ability to be funny or to be amused by things that are funny

Regardless of what the words mean in this context you are still wrong because humor is subjective.

Shush. How can he  "criticize"  Doom eternal if he has to use facts and not fabricated reason?

On 10/29/2020 at 4:01 AM, BetaMarine said:

This game was a joke?

always has been

still love it tho

That carlton dance

Those mp taunts are great :^)

Edited by sluggard

Warpath, Soul Harvest and Possession were some of my most played modes before they mixed them together with other modes in those playlists.

Edited by sluggard

At least it didn't end up like a 2020 version of the supernatural encounters in Thief: The Dark Project.

11 hours ago, Gustavo6046 said:

At least it didn't end up like a 2020 version of the supernatural encounters in Thief: The Dark Project.

I don't care what anyone says, those encounters were pretty great, and fucking scary. Haunted Cathedral to this day remains a highlight of that game!

On 10/27/2020 at 2:34 PM, Super Mighty G said:

They tried old school deathmatch in 2016 and no one played it. You think they're going to try it again after people repeatedly begged them for campaign DLC instead? And the story cutscenes can be totally ignored, which I should add is not possible in 2016. Please listen to Dr. Hayden pontificate for 2 minutes again because you died before a checkpoint in the Advanced Research Complex.

The "old-school" deathmatch in Doom 4 wasn't really old-school. That's why it failed.

4 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

The "old-school" deathmatch in Doom 4 wasn't really old-school. That's why it failed.

The deathmatch in Doom 2016 was never advertised as "old-school", so that description is rather pointless.

I think some example of "horror" in Doom could be some of the textures and assets in Hell levels and the weirdness behind it.

Like, one thing is an ugly looking level not using textures well but even besides that or graphics at the time, Hell always had some potential for something abstract and beyond what met the eye.

The Blood Swamps aren't bad but when you think about it, it's weird seeing descriptions like "this is one of the deepest reaches of Hell" when classic levels look more twisted and weird, making Hell levels in the new games feel more like some dark faction in a fantasy universe.

It could be something about graphics, art style or lore differences.

I feel like if a lot of Eternal existed in classic Doom, what we see in some worlds could have been in/from Hell because of how versatile the "theme" of Hell is and how more independent Hell itself was too.

It can also impact Doomguy's strenght and his track record, in some way.

I also wonder if a new enemy in part 2 could be a new "head" enemy.

Something akin to Caco's and PE's, specially if it has a more abstract/less humanoid design that could be easier to animate outside of glory kills.

So much about the modelling, designs and animation plays into the enemies, it probably goes beyond weakspots and glory kills.

25 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

The deathmatch in Doom 2016 was never advertised as "old-school", so that description is rather pointless.

What about Mighty's description?

Just now, The Strife Commando said:

What about Mighty's description?

He certainly called it that, but I don't know why he did given it wasn't to begin with. Unless you describe COD:MW as old school which I supposed kind of is given it was a staple of the early Xbox360 years, but certainly not what this forum describes as old-school.

Though the inconsistency aside, he's kind of right at the moment. Attempts at reviving the old Quake styled arena-control deathmatch hasn't been panning out yet, the market is having a hard time latching back on. Quake Champions hasn't boosted the popularity back up, though at the moment it's tough to class that as Champions having its own problems or just the market not being interested given it's market audience and PC exclusivity. It would really require a big budget game that's prepared to sink the cost into such a style to see if it can still get a market now, or just a surprise resurgence on an older title.

6 hours ago, whatup876 said:

The Blood Swamps aren't bad but when you think about it, it's weird seeing descriptions like "this is one of the deepest reaches of Hell" when classic levels look more twisted and weird, making Hell levels in the new games feel more like some dark faction in a fantasy universe.

Can I just interject and say this is an idiotic statement? Of course the classic levels are abstract. They were made 25 years ago, on a now primitive engine, by totally different developers, with a totally different design mentality, in a different cultural climate. The new levels feel like dark fantasy because they ARE. I apologize for being harsh but this kind of comparison grinds my gears. 

That aside the fact that I said 2016's multiplayer was "old school" when it technically isn't is besides the point as Edward pointed out. They tried deathmatch multiplayer and it was brushed aside by the majority of players. I'm not going to say Battlemode is a revolutionary success, I have no strong opinions about it in general. What I will say is it is perfectly understandable that they would want to try something different after the first outing failed. 

8 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

Can I just interject and say this is an idiotic statement? Of course the classic levels are abstract. They were made 25 years ago, on a now primitive engine, by totally different developers, with a totally different design mentality, in a different cultural climate. The new levels feel like dark fantasy because they ARE. I apologize for being harsh but this kind of comparison grinds my gears.

I know but graphics and engine aside, it's mostly about the textures and assets themselves and how much can be done with them.

They feel like they have more "material" or "context" and even when something like FIREBLU is too abstract, it can at least inspire multiple interpretations.

The Hell levels in the new games lean closer to 64 and Quake and it's not a bad direction, even if it's not an accurate take on the classic levels.

So despite some new ideas and more specific locations, Hell still seems somewhat streamlined in some ways.

Another thing about Hell's look then is how it "mirrors" the enemies you fight: Some textures and props fit visually with enemy designs, which makes it like the "story" of Hell is within its visuals and aesthetic.

It's not always the case but it somewhat adds depth to how Hell works: it just is.

I don't play Battlemode or care about achievements that earn me invisible points giving me nothing in return. I play old school. None of this effects me. They took out SnapMap and I was pissed but they gave us the best Campaign of all time and a great DLC. I play it for what it is. A single player game. I'll play Doom 4 if I want multiplayer.

3 hours ago, whatup876 said:

I know but graphics and engine aside, it's mostly about the textures and assets themselves and how much can be done with them.

They feel like they have more "material" or "context" and even when something like FIREBLU is too abstract, it can at least inspire multiple interpretations.

The Hell levels in the new games lean closer to 64 and Quake and it's not a bad direction, even if it's not an accurate take on the classic levels.

So despite some new ideas and more specific locations, Hell still seems somewhat streamlined in some ways.

Another thing about Hell's look then is how it "mirrors" the enemies you fight: Some textures and props fit visually with enemy designs, which makes it like the "story" of Hell is within its visuals and aesthetic.

It's not always the case but it somewhat adds depth to how Hell works: it just is.

You need to take off the rose tinted glasses. 128x128 textures don't say any more than what you see in Eternal.