Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Has This Game Become A Joke?

On 10/28/2020 at 11:43 PM, jazzmaster9 said:

Humor is super subjective. Its stupid to argue otherwise

Ehhh...no, its not. Ask any standup comedian. Good one comedian.
Its like saying that bad *something* is not bad, its just subjectively bad.

On 10/28/2020 at 11:43 PM, jazzmaster9 said:

The fact that people found some jokes in eternal funny and you didn't proves that. 

We get if you hate Doom Eternal, but no need to bend reality to prove that  

I said NOTHING about DE humor. Im explaining concept of a humor.
If you think that I said something about DE humor, quote it.
And yes, its very simple. "YoU CaNt JuSt ShOt A hOlE iN tHe SuRfAcE iF mArs" -> *Oh ye????? Watch me!!!!* -> _shoot a hole in the surface of Mars_ -> you may now laugh.

I mean, resolution is one thing but i feel like there's just more you can do with the aesthetic of one than the other if it comes off as a series of colorfull assets vs just more specific areas and with not a lot of weird "thematic" assets that "expand" the theme. (with Duke 3D and the Build trinity being like the middle ground)

Something akin to worlds in Mario or Sonic or even Minecraft and i guess LittleBigPlanet. (which kinda adds irony to how Eternal is more "videogamey")

I feel like if Adrian Carmack did some "HD" updates in some ports (like with Wolfenstein 3D), i suppose id today would have better references to what the textures even are and even then, we still had years of fan remakes interpretating the stuff, even with some ugly looking images or questionable results.

Maybe it'd be complicated to have that variety or attempting to bring back a series of textures (that could potentially make Doom stand out since it's the "Doom aesthetic" and make it more unique compared to other games) but these new games also have an extremely detailed aesthetic that is too detailed for its own good, i feel like there might as well been crunch behind it.

The "ArtStation" aesthetic that feels like companies making sure their games look visually impressive, no matter the cost.

If a game is supposed to have some comic book or cartoon energy, maybe some lessons could be learned from Arc System Works or Platinum's MadWorld, because they never had the same goal as Naughty Dog making Nathan Drake's arm hair look photorealistic.

1 hour ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

That's a crock of rubbish. You cannot quantify what is objectively funny or humorous. You CANNOT. I'm not going to argue this point anymore because any argument to the contrary is wrong. And your grammar suggests to me there is a breakdown in communication here, meaning we are not understanding each other's point. 

48 minutes ago, whatup876 said:

these new games also have an extremely detailed aesthetic that is too detailed for its own good, i feel like there might as well been crunch behind it.

Do not pretend to understand what constitutes crunch. Just because something looks like it was hard to make doesn't mean it was. Am I saying definitively that there was no unreasonable crunch involved in DE? No. But I am willing to give id the benefit of the doubt because there is no evidence to the contrary. 

On 10/31/2020 at 6:04 AM, Kronecker–Capelli said:

I mean, your wrong.

but thanks for trying

I said NOTHING about DE humor. Im explaining concept of a humor.
If you think that I said something about DE humor, quote it.

did you word vomit "mortally challenged" on your last post? bending reality again i see, you should get help for that.

And yes, its very simple. "YoU CaNt JuSt ShOt A hOlE iN tHe SuRfAcE iF mArs" -> *Oh ye????? Watch me!!!!* -> _shoot a hole in the surface of Mars_ -> you may now laugh.

Yes, because that's funny just like your useless rambling

Edited by jazzmaster9

16 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

did you word vomit "mortally challenged" on your last post?

I misinterpreted context of the post. It was related not to the game but for Joker movie.

16 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Yes, because that's funny just like your useless rambling

????????????????????????
Did I said its not funny? Where? Because I said it simple.
Or you was reading what you wanted to read, not what I written? You mind is playing tricks with you?

Looking back, that "ArtStation aesthetic" comment must be the most /v/-like thing i've said, honestly.

I do wonder how it would be if they went with Hell always having tech and even some history/evolution behind the concept of cybernetic demons.

Like, at some point, Cyberdemons/Tyrants would have renaissance-styled wooden cannons shooting flaming arrows or  Arachnotrons with some ugly Steampunk legs.

Or even DoomHunters with tank wheels made of giant rock wheels and you can see tiny little demon legs moving around like Fred Flinststone.

Could even justify like Revenants with medieval armor and then have these different thematic demons with some differences.

Didn't Doom RPG said Kronos was responsible for the Hell tech thing? I'm surprised a plot point never thought out was that demons used time travel just to have tech before mankind did.

Or even stuff like Hell just had tech because Heaven/Urdak had it too and Hell just wanted to rip that off.

17 hours ago, TheRedTide said:

If anything it needs more memes, but less bing-bing wahoo platforming.

Aside from the Mario-esque presentation, i don't mind the weird level gimmicks and even sort of hope they get more creative or take notes from other games like Rise of The Triad or Hexen.

Stuff like moving treadmill floors in factory levels, waterfalls and strong water rivers pushing you to a side, UAC lasers and turrets being broken and shooting anywhere, moving trains on Earth that won't stop, lava with bursting bubbles that can jump off and fall to the floor that you walk in, walls that move so the level's geometry changes and becomes some maze-like puzzle section...

Maybe even use helicopters on Earth as floating platforms or even give them yellow monkey bars somewhere, just as an excuse to have a helicopter there.

Maybe the floating and spinning fire sticks would have been better recieved if instead were electric blades with blood in it or something that functioned the same but just had a different look.

Same like how the 1-ups could have been some rune or sphere with a helmet inside it.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:46 AM, Kronecker–Capelli said:

????????????????????????
Did I said its not funny? Where? Because I said it simple.
Or you was reading what you wanted to read, not what I written? You mind is playing tricks with you?

Weren't you the one crying about how Doom Eternal's joke were not funny for 2 posts?

Its kinda obvious you are just a troll so i dont know why i even bother.

Edited by jazzmaster9

Going back to the 1-up bit, it's something to do with how "expanding Doom's universe" and "expanding gameplay" can be related, for a series where gameplay comes first.

To me, the "lore" or "story" of possessed zombie soldiers isn't just how they got possesed but rather the role they have in gameplay. (specially when they used to directly carry weapons or ammo that you also could)

Same for how the Archvile behaved.

In some way, this is why i kinda worry about the enemy variety, because i see somewhat-gimmicky or weird abilities as "expanding Hell's powerlevel" and all.

Same for level mechanics and elements, which is what i think the games will continue to expand on.

Both 1-ups and Soulspheres are power ups that exist in gameplay but one actually fits the world while the other is just aware it's from a videogame.

So the animated spheres with faces inside have a better "existence" than the green helmets with 1 UP written above.

Even with Mario, you could think of mushrooms existing in his world.

This could also tie with how people make mods for classic Doom based off later games (because it's like Eternal or 2016 are giving extra tools and expanding Doom) or even crossover potential like how many abilities and weapons can you give to Doomguy, so he has a greater moveset potential in something else.

Or even with enemy types, power ups, level obstacles, puzzles etc.

Something to do with the "experimental" nature of Doom being more of a brush and canvas than a painting.

This if course fits modding very well because some mods add gameplay elements or do weird stuff while also making it so the assets still fit the setting, even if some enemy is just an edit of a Baron but with some new details added.

I think even Doom RPG and VFR used fire extinguishers to put out fire.

For a similar reason, i thought the ability of picking up explosive barrels and tossing them at enemies, like Donkey Kong, could work.

Even more risky but interesting and Zelda-like, would be carrying objects for puzzles, like picking up a demon statue and placing it over a huge floor button, to keep a big door open. (basically, you'd see Doomguy from his POV carrying some object)

It sounds like a reiteration of the "punchable" blocks but it also fits with how swimming and climbing take away the shooting while still being fast sections and fitting the levels.

With these "carriable objects", you could also throw them at enemies like with exploding barrels and these objects can respawn from their origin, so you don't have to worry about softlocking or ruining progess.

Sounds gimmicky but at least it's not "Doomguy pushes or pulls giant object for 5 minutes just to climb it".

Maybe these carriable objects could fit the Doom 3 formula for being slower, but also because of the "Levitator" from Resurrection of Evil. (aka Doom's Gravity Gun)

But with the videogame-y influence, i don't think it's out-of-character of Doomguy either Donkey Kong-ing explosive barrels at enemies or picking up some level prop or object just to place them on the right spot. (and you could still throw them and make them explode on enemies for fun, and not worry about them being gone because they can respawn)

I even wonder about energy wall shields existing in a level (like the UAC testing security shields) and you could:

* use them to protect yourself from enemy attacks.

* use the plasma rifle to make these walls explode, like an alternative to explosive barrels.

* it also turns out there's a secret that requires being on top of one or two of these energy walls, just to get some items.

I also remember how 2016 had a secret or section where you used a giant fan to fly up and get a secret.

I thought low-gravity or fans making the player go up could also add up some variety.

It's a matter of WHEN, HOW and WHERE you get to interact with them.

It felt like they were getting close to a good balance with Doom 2016, only thing that I could complain about it is that it gets a bit too dull after you reach the middle of the campaign. Eternal has the better gameplay and it doesn't get anywhere near as dull for the first playthrough, but it's too tiring to play for more than a few short bursts every once in a while.

Edited by sluggard

On 11/1/2020 at 12:20 AM, jazzmaster9 said:

Weren't you the one crying about how Doom Eternal's joke were not funny for 2 posts?

Its kinda obvious you are just a troll so i dont know why i even bother.

Where? Quotation needed.

2 hours ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

Where? Quotation needed.

"YoU CaNt JuSt ShOt A hOlE iN tHe SuRfAcE iF mArs" -> *Oh ye????? Watch me!!!!* -> _shoot a hole in the surface of Mars_ -> you may now laugh.

On 10/28/2020 at 5:47 PM, Kronecker–Capelli said:

They "mortally challenged", hahahaha.
You get get, right?! They "mortally" and they "challenged". Get it, get it, right, right!? Its simply genius. Its simple, and its genius. They demons, and the "mortally challenged", ohohohohoho.... And you Doomslayer, and you not "mortally challenged", since you have an extra lifes. You get it right, right, right, right?!?!?!?!?!??!!?
Social commentary which we deserved.....

But any way, its obvious you are trolling so I'm not going to respond after this.

btw, learn the real world definition of humor, it will help you out a lot.

Speaking of Doom being cartoony, i always imagine a Doom game with a cel-shaded look like XIII, at least the 2003 original game and not the recent remake full of bugs and a more "realistic" art style.

12 hours ago, whatup876 said:

Speaking of Doom being cartoony, i always imagine a Doom game with a cel-shaded look like XIII, at least the 2003 original game and not the recent remake full of bugs and a more "realistic" art style.

The real problem with the remake is that it became a modern day shooter.

4 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

The real problem is that its riddled with bugs, missing content, art style change, etc. Not because its a modern shooter.

Do you hate every single shooter thats not a direct emulation of a 90s fps?

43 minutes ago, Doominator2 said:

The real problem is that its riddled with bugs, missing content, art style change, etc. Not because its a modern shooter.

Do you hate every single shooter thats not a direct emulation of a 90s fps?

I didn't know it was full of bugs and missing content. All I saw was the gameplay resembling that of a military shooter. I must say the missing content and bugs make it worse.

The original was a 90's style shooter.

On 11/18/2020 at 6:55 PM, The Strife Commando said:

I think you're just liberally plastering that on anything anyways.

1 hour ago, ZeroTheEro said:

I think you're just liberally plastering that on anything anyways.

Want to see how a true remake is done? Check out Resident Evil Remake.

On 11/19/2020 at 4:03 PM, The Strife Commando said:

Doom 2016 is not a remake. It's a reboot.

On 11/18/2020 at 11:39 AM, The Strife Commando said:

All I saw was the gameplay resembling that of a military shooter.

Which military shooter? Arma 3?

Edited by AtimZarr1 : I misread the context. TSC is talking about XIII here.

4 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

I don't care about RE:make, we're talking about XIII here. Thing is what do you define is a military shooter? it's not like it has take cover to regen health or limited weapon inventory.

is it merely because they added ADS?

On 11/18/2020 at 6:55 PM, The Strife Commando said:

Ah yes, I love using military strategies when I do the bing-bing wahoo platforming

1 hour ago, BetaMarine said:

Ah yes, I love using military strategies when I do the bing-bing wahoo platforming

I think he's talking about the XIII remake, not Doom Eternal which is more of a soft reboot.

3 hours ago, NoXion said:

I think he's talking about the XIII remake, not Doom Eternal which is more of a soft reboot.

Now I feel dumb5AF9784F-D0FA-4784-8B99-2A76A5F14D93.png.9fc2b71cce4e507d7f005026ee6adcca.png

On 11/19/2020 at 8:10 PM, ZeroTheEro said:

I don't care about RE:make, we're talking about XIII here. Thing is what do you define is a military shooter? it's not like it has take cover to regen health or limited weapon inventory.

is it merely because they added ADS?

Not only did they add that, but they also added sprinting and only being able to carry one weapon type. In the original you could hold every gun at once. Now you could carry say, one heavy weapon, one pistol, one rifle, and such. On the bright side, at least you can still hold a lot of guns rather than just 2.

1 hour ago, The Strife Commando said:

Not only did they add that, but they also added sprinting and only being able to carry one weapon type. In the original you could hold every gun at once. Now you could carry say, one heavy weapon, one pistol, one rifle, and such. On the bright side, at least you can still hold a lot of guns rather than just 2.

while the weapon limit is unfortunate, adding ADS and sprinting is perfectly fine.

2 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

[...] you can still hold a lot of guns rather than just 2.

insert edgy tough guy quote here plus something to do with medieval or shit or neck or something

Honestly I don't mind those silly skins, in fact the camo mullet slayer is my second most used one but for god's sake, if you gotta have skins in Doom give us something cool, like the last serie's Cultist Slayer or the Maykr Slayer from the DLC

Aside from how they compare to the original, a bigger problem with remakes is if the old game isn't available anymore.

23 hours ago, TenenteZashu said:

Honestly I don't mind those silly skins, in fact the camo mullet slayer is my second most used one but for god's sake, if you gotta have skins in Doom give us something cool, like the last serie's Cultist Slayer or the Maykr Slayer from the DLC

I think the problem with these cosmetics and content is just how they're handled.

Like, how you get some of them and the artificial scarcity behind them.

It feels like a phone game or a Nintendo method of things and not something for a game named "Eternal", part of a series associated with longevity, access, costumization, all that stuff.