Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Has This Game Become A Joke?

The problem is that late-comers or people who have the game but for some reason, only decided to play it now, are gonna miss out on a lot of those cosmetics. I hope that at some point in the future, id will host a special event that gives previously rewarded skins as rewards, and then make the twitch-exclusive skins as the premium rewards. That way, anyone who's late to the party can get to have the skins they coveted but can only watch from the images and videos of earlier players or something like that. If I eventually get Doom Eternal, and can participate in such an event, I'd like to get the Demoncide skin, it's one of my favs so far 

Democide.png

5 hours ago, NoXion said:

I'm sure they'll make the skins available again at some point.

There was a livestream a while ago where a community manager confirmed that legacy event skins will return sometime in the future. He wasn't able to say when or how though, just that they will figure it out eventually. Interestingly, he almost suggested a paid option by finishing with "it was free the first time, we'll see what happens". Personally, I figured they would just re-run the events a year after launch, unless they have year 2 events planned instead. Not sure how they're planning on bringing back Twitch skins though, I suppose those could use the paid option route.

If they ever bring back anything, i feel like it should be permanent, even if it's DLC you have to pay for.

Something about spending time and effort into creating content, only to give it expiration dates, feels more mobile-game-ish/Nintendo than Doom.

It may not seem like a big deal, but nothing is really lost just by making sure small pieces of history and effort are still accessable in some way or another.

It's also weird to think why this method of getting stuff even exists, because this game is GOTY material, you don't really need any other "hook" besides just being what it is.

People like the game so much, they'll stick to it, even if they mod it a bit.

But this "FOMO" (fear of missing out) model feels out of place and not so confident.

They will bring them back once engagement dries up. It's really their main purpose. I can't be arsed to panic over time sensitive virtual item cosmetic unlocks. But seeing as there are other games where people throw money at them well... Yeah. 

4 hours ago, AtimZarr1 said:

There was a livestream a while ago where a community manager confirmed that legacy event skins will return sometime in the future. He wasn't able to say when or how though, just that they will figure it out eventually. Interestingly, he almost suggested a paid option by finishing with "it was free the first time, we'll see what happens". Personally, I figured they would just re-run the events a year after launch, unless they have year 2 events planned instead. Not sure how they're planning on bringing back Twitch skins though, I suppose those could use the paid option route.

Oh, Interesting. I sure hope they will do that. If not the Twitch skins, at least the several "reskins" of the Eternal suit are fine. After all, the Demoncide skins is one of those reskins 

3 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

There's Twitch exclusive skins? That passes the line. They should be normal hard to achieve unlocks.

Specifically, Twitch Prime exclusive skins. They are usually the funny, out of place skins though like the Doomicorn, the Mullet Slayer and the Cosplay Slayer 

F20ef2ad53c5ea30a1e123373ba19d8c.jpg

Loot2_item1_1x._CB431289850_.jpg

Cosplay_Slayer_skin.jpg

12 hours ago, Lafuente said:

Specifically, Twitch Prime exclusive skins. They are usually the funny, out of place skins though like the Doomicorn, the Mullet Slayer and the Cosplay Slayer 

F20ef2ad53c5ea30a1e123373ba19d8c.jpg

Loot2_item1_1x._CB431289850_.jpg

Cosplay_Slayer_skin.jpg

What's the difference between that last one and the classic Marine skin?

2 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

What's the difference between that last one and the classic Marine skin?

The classic skin doesn't have visible black electrical tape and doesn't look like it's been crudely fashioned out of foam rubber?

Just now, NoXion said:

The classic skin doesn't have visible black electrical tape and doesn't look like it's been crudely fashioned out of foam rubber?

Ooh, I get it now. Thought it was a variant of the classic skin.

I think one reason to find these skins and podiums interesting is because Doom never really had a "proper Earth" or more human settings.

So, just having some objects laying around adds that bit of humanity, whether in levels taking place on Earth or just this side content.

In some way, it's like the secret Doom Club map in PS1 Doom.

10 hours ago, NoXion said:

Hence, Cosplay Slayer. His emotes are also funny as well, like showing off his fully-lengthened Doomblade made of cardboard and covered with foil