Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomduck12367

What other fps do you like besides doom

We literally had this thread recently.

Even so, OP, what will you do with the answers? Because everone will have a different favorite. What's a list going to tell you, besides, i reckon, inspiration for new titles to buy?

I love the Metroid Prime trilogy for its atmosphere, music, and non-linear sense of progression.  Strangely enough, I like the 2nd game in the trilogy the most, which would be the Darkhorse of the trilogy.  It's really dark and foreboding, and I kind of want to make some Doom maps with similar mechanics to it in the future.  Map04 Wormhole of TnT kind of does the whole "dark world" theme a little bit.

6 hours ago, Loud Silence said:

Commenting on that would get you a warning for thread bumping, though.  It's okay to do new versions of old threads when the old threads are dead.

That said, after the Dooms, I think my favorites would be:

Quake 1

Duke Nukem 3D

Blood

Wrath: Aeon of Ruin (We will see if this changes once it is fully released)

Ion Fury

Half-Life 1/2

Destiny/Destiny 2 (Probably my favorite modern shooter series, the games are not perfect and suffer from "Games as Service" syndrome, but they are super smooth and easy to pick up, just very satisfying movement and combat for me)

4 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Even so, OP, what will you do with the answers? Because everone will have a different favorite. What's a list going to tell you, besides, i reckon, inspiration for new titles to buy?

It's not like someone could be curious about something or anything.

3 minutes ago, GraphicBleeder said:

It's not like someone could be curious about something or anything.

Curious that everyone has a personal favorite? Well yeah.

Urban Terror

Combines counterstrike-esque gun combat with totally unrealistic wall jumping and powerslide abilities. Think I've logged more time on it than any other multiplayer game (sorry Doom), it's good fun!

7 hours ago, Danzer said:

The big three build engine games, quake 1 and, unironically, postal 2.

There's still a bunch i need to play.

What do you mean, unironically? No irony to be had there, Postal 2 is so fun. I think I've clocked in ~130 hours or something. Even completed on impossible without taking any damage by abusing saves.

3 hours ago, maxmanium said:

What do you mean, unironically? No irony to be had there, Postal 2 is so fun. I think I've clocked in ~130 hours or something. Even completed on impossible without taking any damage by abusing saves.

Exactly. Postal 2 is a great game, I think the first is better but, Postal 2 is something special man

Quake 1-3, Half Life Saga, Team Fortres 2, Heretic, Hexen I & II, Strife, Chex Quest, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior

10 hours ago, Doomduck12367 said:

You can say any FPS game you like besides doom.

Left 4 Dead 2, Postal 2, Shadow Warrior and etc.

I usually HATE "realistic" type shooters, but  after installing STALKER Call of Chernobyl and modding it to my taste I must confess I'm quite addicted. There is no  sandbox game quite like this. And the atmosphere is just one of the best in any game, period.

Love me the valve multiplayer games:

Team Fortress 2

Left 4 Dead 2

CS:GO (at least until I earned prime. It's no longer fun playing with serious people in casual.)

These are severely under-acknowledged:

Natural Selection 2

Deep Rock Galactic

While I consider myself a fan of 90s FPS games, I actually don't play them nearly as much as I play Doom wads. Highlights are definitely Descent1/2 and System Shock 1. 

Before I found Doom, my favorite FPS games were the early Medal of Honor games. Namely the original, Underground, Allied Assault, and Frontline. I find that these games have a lot more character, soul, and goofy charm than most AAA releases lately. The Allied Assault multiplayer community is still somewhat alive. There is an excellent freeze tag mod that has more or less become the main game mode that everyone plays. Shout out to the Jessie and Girls sever in Spearhead. 

Edit: Also if you look up "Allied Assault Reborn" you should find a free and patched way to play MoHAA today...

Edited by VonHeer : Added something

On 10/23/2020 at 12:30 PM, Mr. Jar (aka: Nelguy) said:

I like Doom 2, which is a sequel to Doom, so it's not the same.

I meant any games in the doom series 

On 10/23/2020 at 1:29 PM, Redneckerz said:

No just a question

19 hours ago, <<Rewind said:

Hated:

Half Life 2

Wow, Half-Life 2 is hated (I don't like it, not hate, but still...) not only by me? I wondering why

20 hours ago, <<Rewind said:

Want To Also Try Out:

Unreal Tournament 4 (when it's resurrected)

Yeah, uh, that ain't happening. Why give up those Fortnite bux?

That said, NOBODY mentioned UT99, and for that each and every one of you should be ashamed.

I saw a few mentions of Unreal/Unreal Gold (you people have good taste); Rewind also mentioned Unreal Tournament 2 (which doesn't exist - are you referring to UT2003 or UT2004? 2003 was hot garbage, 2004 was better) and Unreal Tournament 3 (better than you gave it credit for - hobbled thanks to Midway/Gamespy at the time, but not a bad game at all).

But not one UT99 mention.

c12.png

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

Yeah, uh, that ain't happening. Why give up those Fortnite bux?

That said, NOBODY mentioned UT99, and for that each and every one of you should be ashamed.

I saw a few mentions of Unreal/Unreal Gold (you people have good taste); Rewind also mentioned Unreal Tournament 2 (which doesn't exist - are you referring to UT2003 or UT2004? 2003 was hot garbage, 2004 was better) and Unreal Tournament 3 (better than you gave it credit for - hobbled thanks to Midway/Gamespy at the time, but not a bad game at all).

But not one UT99 mention.

oh shit i forgot about unreal and ut99, but seeing my list was pretty big it was no surprise i'd forget about some games, i'll update my post with these

46 minutes ago, bobstremglav said:

Wow, Half-Life 2 is hated (I don't like it, not hate, but still...) not only by me? I wondering why

Simply put I paid for the game and had a bad time with it also cute avatar you have

8 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

I've had some fun with UT2k4 and UT3 but they didn't age well. I still like listening to the soundtracks, though. UT1 has even better soundtrack so no wonder you like the game so much. Those series are just as atmospheric and action packed as Quake.

Bioshock Infinite

FEAR

CSGO
Half-Life 1 and 2

Blood

Destiny 2

Titanfall 2

Halo: Reach

and many others that I'm not remembering right now

I wanted to mention Prey 2017 aswell, then I realized that's more of an RPG than a shooter. I kind of wish Control had a First-person mode.

Left 4 Dead 2, 10v10 versus modded with buy commands, I remember all the keybindings I have for it even if I take a year break from playing. Taking a break from it right now because my internet connection has gone to heck... Playing campaign is the most mindnumbingly boring thing I can do in the game and only play it once in a blue moon when my friend pressures me to.
Counter Strike 1.6
DOOM 2016
(Very few video games excite me and i'm never hyped for anything that comes out anymore period.)

On 10/23/2020 at 11:07 AM, Doomduck12367 said:

You can say any FPS game you like besides doom.

STALKER series
Quake
Source 2 games
Duke3D
Blood
Serious Sam
Etc Etc

On 10/24/2020 at 6:36 AM, boojum snark said:

I usually HATE "realistic" type shooters, but  after installing STALKER Call of Chernobyl and modding it to my taste I must confess I'm quite addicted. There is no  sandbox game quite like this. And the atmosphere is just one of the best in any game, period.

This. Though I never had a particular dislike for that genre, STALKER CoC was the first FPS I was ever addicted to, mainly because of the atmospheric, dynamic and interactive world. Also, STALKER is far scarier than any 'horror' game (I legit got the shivers the first time I was caught out in the far reaches of Jupiter during an emission), and the survival aspect feels harsh but fair. And the music... man, the chills.

On 10/23/2020 at 4:29 PM, Redneckerz said:

I always look at these threads hoping for some kind of interesting discussion, but I get the impression that everybody just posts their list and nobody really even reads the thread.

I guess it functions as a sort of write-in poll, which provides an interesting cross-section of community tastes at a glance.

I've been revisiting Serious Sam TFE recently, and while there's some insightful design there that I admire, it's still unequivocally less of a game than Doom. In my eyes, the reliance on enemy pop-in shows that the designers just didn't "get it". Kind of like how you see an emphasis on lock-in fights from Doom mappers who are more interested in atmosphere and exploration than in combat.

Most of my other favorite games are strategy and rpg games, because when it comes to action, Doom mostly keeps my plate full.