Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomduck12367

What other fps do you like besides doom

Stalker mods like New Arsenal 7 and Dead Air. Such a creepy atmosphere and cool mutants. Would a Doom game made in the X-ray engine even work? You could have creepy hellish anomalies.

Ive been getting into CS:GO lately. Otherwise besides that I play Fallout (New Vegas, 3 and 4) and Borderlands (All of them)

On 11/19/2020 at 4:47 PM, Aaron Blain said:

Can you name a favorite grand strategy game? I got CK 1 on sale on GOG but have yet to sink my teeth into it.

Depends on what you like, really. My two favourites are Crusader Kings 2 and Victoria 2. The former focuses more on medieval role-playing than anything else, that and a lot of political and familial intrigue, while the latter is centered around nation building in the 19th century, where you'll have to deal with everything from a fully dynamic global resource market with dozens of goods, both raw and manufactured, to your country's demographics, politics, economy and strategic position, all of which influence eachother in complex ways.

For example, population units (pops) with a Communist leaning may rise in revolt if there is a shortage of food or clothes, take over the country, kill all the capitalists and force you the player to nationalize and micromanage every factory in the country rather than leaving them to their own devices. If you don't know how to run a planned economy, this could lead to more shortages and a huge budget deficit, forcing you to cut down on your military. This weakness could result in a neighbouring state with territorial claims on you deciding to invade. A shortage of supplies and low morale could then cause your army to fight poorly, so you lose the war and have to give up vital territory. With your nation in tatters, counter-revolutionaries may then rise up in revolt, deposing the communist regime and restoring democracy. However, with all your capitalists dead or exiled, rebuilding the economy might prove a difficult challenge.

Yes, Vicky 2 really is just that deep of a simulation. It's not perfect, there are many bugs and oversights, but it is interesting never the less. Its actually not as complex to learn as all that would imply, because each of the systems are intuitive on their own. It only took me about ten hours to get decent at the game, but even hundreds of hours later, I'm still learning new things about the game.

Honestly, CK2 is only sort of a strategy game, given the sheer level of randomness involved. Vicky is a more measured and intellectual experience. It is also much cheaper, since Paradox hadn't started with their DLC bs yet. With CK2, you will probably have to read a guide on which dlc to buy, whereas with Vicky you can just get the base game and its two expansions and you are good to go. The downside of Vicky is that it is quite old and broken, so downloading one of the popular mods is a must. The AI is dumb regardless, since it is hardcoded into the game's executable and out of the reach of modders. CK2, by contrast, due to the sheer number of actors (every character in the game has its own AI), can create these fantastic emergent scenarios. Honestly, a quick browse through the steam reviews will tell you everything you need to know about CK2's potential.

Basically, if you want a truly strategic and deep simulation, play Vicky 2. If you like the idea of constant improvisation, mild role-playing and an insane degree of dynamism, play CK2. Actually, CK3 came out recently, and seems to be a better game than the last in many ways, but I have yet to play it.

I was asking you in this post to help me identify a game I had played a long time ago and was curious what it was. My hints helped me identify it myself. I had an inkling it ran on Unreal Engine and thus I found the title on Wikipedia.

Weirdly, this looks more like Deus Ex than Unreal Tournament. Turns out the reason it's so obscure is that there's nothing to write home about.

Edited by <<Rewind

I wanna say something but our Skaarj overlords would tear my vocal cords apart oh crap oh shit oh heck with an asterisk i can hear it right round the corner oh fu-

the very first Red Faction. i'd really love to get the source code for it, to create the proper sourceport.

I've been playing a lot of Quake recently. I haven't put nearly as much time into it as I have with Doom, so I'm pretty bad at it, and I have no idea how bunnyhopping works.

Well, a year or two ago I played a lot of Quake too. Kinda burned out now.

Dusk is good. Half-Life has an array of cool mods.

To be honest, I'm not that hard into the shooters. Except for the few that built the genre.

4 hours ago, ketmar said:

the very first Red Faction. i'd really love to get the source code for it, to create the proper sourceport.

Red Faction is a great game. While its source code was never released, there still exists a community patch called Dash Faction (Github link) that fixes most of the game's bugs and adds many QoL features like widescreen resolutions, better graphics quality (anti-aliasing, true-color textures, anisotropic filtering, higher scanner view resolution, disabled LOD models and more), removed packfile limits and much more.

DEATH MATCH CLASSIC,

if you still remember this game. So you have my respect.

!!!--Please lower the voice of video or use headphones instead because Rob Zombie: More Human Than Human plays.---!!!

!!!--The music has moaning woman voices at the begining of the music clip. You have been WARNED--!!!

6 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Red Faction is a great game. While its source code was never released, there still exists a community patch

thatnk you! yep, i know about it. and about several attempts to recreate the engine. sadly that Volition didn't released the sources, tho. this, and another my favorite game, Oni (yeah, Bungie, not Volition, i know ;-).

I really like Quake , Blood , Team Fortress 2 , the entire Half life series ( except Half life Alyx cuz i havent played it yet ) , i also like Call Of Duty World at war a lot and i like DUSK ( god bless New Blood interactive)

On 10/23/2020 at 8:09 PM, Noiser said:

Corridor 7

Bloody hell! - I got this when it was released. Very weird, very different IIRC - should probably try it again...

Anyhoo... HL, HL2; been playing Ion Fury recently (pretty good!); looooove SSFE/SSSE; I like the newer Wolfenstein games too. Original Descent was fantastic as well, but REALLY hard to control. Quake, Q2. I also played Hexen to death but never really progressed as the key/switch hunting just got too much.

I liked Doom 2016 as well, but got a bit fucked off with the arena/lock-in/kill everything/unlock style of play - I'm definitely an old skool FPS person...

vu7oxpT.jpg

Doom fans, I present to you: Eradicator!

- Game from 1996, purchasable on Steam, plays in dosbox

- Crisp 320x200 graphics

- A complete Doom clone! It's like an official fully fledged mod!

- The aesthetics are borrowed from Duke Nukem 3D, which this game strongly resembles

- Contains platforming, slopes and 3D environment

- 3 playable characters

- Atmospheric lighting and sound, an overall remarkably representative 90's SCI-FI feel (e.g. Unreal, Abuse, System Shock, Duke Nukem 3D)

ok, there are the most obvious games like Quake,Unreal, Half-Life,  Duke, Blood and Shadow Warrior
but there are also :

- Painkiller

- Descent 1/2/3

- Forsaken

- RIFT, the russian Quake!

- and we should not forget  Redneck Rampage!!

BTW; Does CARMAGEDDON count? The Eagle is a weapon!

Quake III Arena is my second favorite game, behind Doom. Haven't played in years though.

I also like the other Quakes, Timerkillers, Goldeneye, PD, old Medal of Honors, RtCW, Half-Life 1/2.

I dislike FPS games that take control away by jerking your camera view around for cinematics, or that require you to pick up ammo by pushing a button or looking at it, or with too many pauses in the gameplay. I don't mind story, but once I'm 'in' the character, please let me control it at all times. You can trust me to look up at that exploding helicopter without forcing me.

3 hours ago, DoomGater said:

BTW; Does CARMAGEDDON count? The Eagle is a weapon!

Carmageddon is sluggish like, oh my god. Still love that game, though. Atmosphere and all. Pity it's so difficult to run it properly. I found it impossible to launch differently than Steam's default config. I have Max Damage, the new Carmageddon much inspired by the original, but it's sluggish too. Weird for a game about frenzy and destruction to be sluggish.

EDIT: Turns out they actually released a Carmageddon-like arena shooter over a year ago. It's called ShockRods:

1 hour ago, OxalaiaQuilombensis said:

also the demo

Thanks for the tip

Edited by <<Rewind

On 10/23/2020 at 11:18 AM, Benpaste said:

Quake 1-3, Team Fortress 2, Heretic (does that count?), and Blood.

Would have to agree :)

Team Fortress 2 is great, too bad valve doesn't keep up the promised of """Constantly updated""" and while we are at it i might as well add in Team Fortress Classic.

On 12/24/2020 at 8:39 AM, THE IMP said:

DEATH MATCH CLASSIC,

if you still remember this game. So you have my respect.

!!!--Please lower the voice of video or use headphones instead because Rob Zombie: More Human Than Human plays.---!!!

!!!--The music has moaning woman voices at the begining of the music clip. You have been WARNED--!!!

Isn't deathmatch classic just Half-Life with a QUAKE skin and physics? if not, are there any differences in the game?

Used to be real huge into UT99, but I eventually left it behind when it was clear I couldn't get anything else out of it. The community has stagnated, it's clear that it's all dying out. I came to Doom because, in all honestly, it's nicer here. A very lively place, lots of creative folk, all sorts of things being made every day... it just never ends.

7 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

Minecraft

could we expect something different from SilverMiner? ;-)

9 hours ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

Used to be real huge into UT99, but I eventually left it behind when it was clear I couldn't get anything else out of it. The community has stagnated, it's clear that it's all dying out. I came to Doom because, in all honestly, it's nicer here. A very lively place, lots of creative folk, all sorts of things being made every day... it just never ends.

Maybe the recent release of unofficial patch 469 might rekindle your interest in UT99.

15 hours ago, <<Rewind said:

Carmageddon is sluggish like, oh my god. Still love that game, though. Atmosphere and all. Pity it's so difficult to run it properly. I found it impossible to launch differently than Steam's default config. I have Max Damage, the new Carmageddon much inspired by the original, but it's sluggish too. Weird for a game about frenzy and destruction to be sluggish.

The GOG release runs fine.If you prefer the Win95 version (which came with the original release in 1997), this runs fine under Wine. The new version was quiet lame and had technical problems right from the start.