Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Vanilla Doom: EXE Downloads, Utilities, Wads & More

On 2/24/2022 at 5:16 PM, Redneckerz said:

@Doomkid Going over your tools, you use DoomNew.

I went ahead and asked @Gibbon to make a compile of the latest, 2015 build (and not the 2013 you have) before realizing that Maraakate made a download himself, here.

Also includes VR goggles support. List of changes is here. but the changes.txt in the download is more recent.

There is also an updated Heretic build with wHeretic limits.

DoomNew wiki page is here.

I've been interested in this port because it has built-in DEH support and is very close to vanilla, but the inclusion of the original DMX library makes it non-free. However, I just thought that perhaps it would be possible to build a version that uses APODMX instead? (I was previously not aware if the source code of DoomNew was available anywhere).

Hopefully it's okay I bumped this, I was reluctant to make a new topic for this one question.

Do you know if there is any modification of heretic with previous weapon, next weapons, the ports are slow for me and I need it to be in the original

8 hours ago, heretixnext said:

Do you know if there is any modification of heretic with previous weapon, next weapons, the ports are slow for me and I need it to be in the original

What does ''modification of heretic with previous weapon, next weapons'' even mean? Like a weapon slider, or??

9 hours ago, heretixnext said:

There haven't been, sorry. Are you trying to run on a DOS computer, or through dosbox?

@Redneckerz they want a port with buttons for next and previous weapon (I assume).

The original heretic did not have the previous weapon, next weapon options that all the ports later put in. I have a portable console in which all the ports are slow and the only way to install heretic is in dosbox, so I would like to know if a version was made with this option, hopefully someone can help me with this.

On 2/13/2024 at 12:12 PM, heretixnext said:

The original heretic did not have the previous weapon, next weapon options that all the ports later put in. I have a portable console in which all the ports are slow and the only way to install heretic is in dosbox, so I would like to know if a version was made with this option, hopefully someone can help me with this.

Honestly if your portable console is so slow it can't run Heretic, I think that might be a hardware problem. Does Chocolate Heretic really not work well on it?

On 2/15/2024 at 8:46 AM, heretixnext said:

some modification of the original file

The only "modification" that will add this feature you desire would be a DOS binary built from the original code with the function to cycle through weapons added.

I only know of this custom DOS version of Heretic, but I'm not sure if it has the feature you seek. A newer version should be available from somewhere at BitBucket (?), but I can't find the link right now.

I have tried to download but it won't let me, it is strange that there is no vanilla version with this feature

12 minutes ago, heretixnext said:

I have tried to download but it won't let me, it is strange that there is no vanilla version with this feature

I still have this post up:

On 2/16/2024 at 10:49 PM, heretixnext said:

none of them have the wheel weapon option, I give up

Yep. Its CY. (Compile yourself.)

1 hour ago, heretixnext said:

but compile which

As in, if you want the change, make so yourself. Its a QoL addition.

It's strange that this topic went all the way from Vanilla Doom to Heretic, so let me try to get it back on track. Reading the OP's post on vogons originally got me picture playing the original id tech games with a 4 physical action buttons... and it looked attractive, you know, in the minimalist design choice way.

So what I came up with were 4 rather dumb patches for Heretic, Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom, that take away weapon changing buttons (and mouse move button for that matter) and replace [1] and [2] with weapon carousel effect - only (here's where the dumbness kicks in) each carousel series takes exactly 8 presses in Doom 1 and Heretic and exactly 9 in Doom II and Final Doom. If there's interest, the patches are on the same vogons thread now.

While I now think I should have probably done a "real" prev/next thing instead, I wanted to start with something simpler. In fact I started with a TSR that replaces continuous B and N key presses with one of numeric key presses in a sequence - only to find out it did not work with Protected Mode games (i.e. most reasonably sophisticated DOS games shipped in 1993 and later ;) ). So while with the TSR I can have the (similarly dumb) carousel in, say, Wolfenstein 3D, I just went ahead and added this effect also directly to the Doom engine games.

EDIT: less dumb patches are available at the same page which cycle through what player actually carries

Edited by ludicrous_peridot : less dumb