Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

Doomworld International thread

I've only been to the southern parts of Ireland, but it's my home away from home and I go every chance I get.

I'm (another) portuguese, from Lisbon to be more specific although I have lived in the north of the country for a few years during my childhood. 

Besides Cristiano Ronaldo we are also famous for good food, nice weather, lots of beaches, colonizing half the world in the 1500s, being one of the oldest nations in Europe (according to some ways of seeing it), speaking the 6th most spoken language on the world despite being only like 900km from point to point (native speakers that is) and more! 

Also, funny enough, Romanian and Portuguese sound a lot alike, so I'm guessing maybe Albanian does to?

7 minutes ago, kalaeth said:

Also, funny enough, Romanian and Portuguese sound a lot alike, so I'm guessing maybe Albanian does to?

Albanian is not a romance language.

Just now, Gez said:

Albanian is not a romance language.

Oh, I know, it was a half-joke because of the link @SOSU posted on the previous page.

Albanian doesn't really sound like any other language, it's an indo-european language but it's a language isolate like greek and armenian :D

On 10/25/2020 at 7:15 PM, TenenteZashu said:

I'm from Italy and in all honesty I've never saw anybody eating spaghetti with meatballs

Neither do i, if weren't talk about ragù sauce, but that's a different thing actually.

And yes, i'm from Italy too, from a small town in North Italy that is mostly known for it's cross country, if you are into that.

I've lived in a few places around England, and once near Edinburgh. I'm back near where I started, though, in Greater London. It's a pretty mixed experience, and housing/rent is way overpriced, but the logic used to be that this is where the money is made.

Malaysia, where Al-Jazeera can't differentiate between "legal immigrants" and "illegal immigrants" and thus gets a lot of flak for it, deservedly so.

I'm from California (USA). We have beaches! We have mountains! We have deserts! We have forests! We're also on fire way too much, and if you're from SoCal like me summer overstays its welcome. Fall always arrives late, winter is short, and spring arrives early. 

122996717_4226161907410591_6078407200117

Taken in Cave Creek AZ. The weather is gorgeous here at this time of year, 80+ degree days and 60-65 degree nights. 

I'm from Argentina too. Not sure what else to say about it since I don't really care that much, I just kinda live here and that's it. We did have millions of modded GTA:SA discs for PS2, can't forget about those.

We don't have Argent Energy tho. What a scam.

I live in the UK in a small market town called Beccles; it dates from Saxon times but only became a town in the middle ages when Queen Elizabeth I granted it the town charter - in return for 1000 barrels of herring a year! Cargo ships used the river until the mid 1800s, but it's silted up now and only used for leisure; we have several thriving boat yards and a couple of big industrial estates on the edge of town. The town center is a mix of historic and modern buildings, we even have a gunsmiths run by the same family since 1860 for wildfowlers and the like (unusual for the UK, as the Law is very strict on gun ownership). There is much nice scenery as there are marshes on the North side - the edge of the common, near where I live, is 10 miles from the coast now, but in Roman times was a beach! Fortunately I'm 100m from the nearest fibre terminal box on the PSTN, so the internet is fast here; just as well as we're 20 miles from the nearest city.

On the Common with Luna, my cat:

common.jpg

Dead Cyrix MII (cheap Pentium/486 clone) PC - why did they ditch it here?

comp.jpg

Grey Heron fishing for dinner:

heron.jpg

The River Waveney - tranquility personified:

marsh.jpg

Bah, rank amateurs - as the heron would no doubt regard them :p

quay.jpg

Incubating the eggs, I think there were three at the time:

swan.jpg

Edited by Martin Howe

Finland is also known for Perkele. At least I've been occasionally asked to say Perkele in Quake Live voice chat. Although usually people say Vittu when they swear. You can hear it very often from groups of teenagers.

Finnish people also drink more coffee per person than anyone else. Sauna is also very much part of finnish culture.

I hail from South Africa, born in the Kwa-Zulu Natal (KZN) province. SA is an odd country, with a wide variety of ethnic groups, and a rather tragic history. In terms of climate, the country contains a broad range of biomes, among them snowy mountain peaks, Mediterranean coastal regions, seas of swaying grass, humid sub-tropical rainforests, vast deserts and rugged scrubland.

South Africans are a varied bunch, including the Durban Indians (of primarily south indian descent), the Afrikaners (european settlers of dutch extraction), the Cape Coloureds (primarily of Malay, Black and Khoisan descent), the British South Africans (including both English and Scots) and of course the major black african tribes, like the Xhosa and Zulu. I myself am of English, German, Scottish, Irish and Afrikaner descent, with maybe a touch of French.

In some ways, SA feels like a first world country, at least if you live in the suburbs of a wealthy city. We have our own supermarket chains, move theaters, fast-food chains, tech stores, all the trappings of a consumer society. But you don't have to go far beyond the small middle-class areas to realize it is all a bubble. SA has some of the worst wealth inequality in the world, and a lot of that divide falls along racial lines, which builds tension and animosity between ethnicities, at least on a broader level (I have never personally been the target of that sort of resentment, mercifully, but the threat is always there).

I would recommend visiting SA despite that, especially Cape Town (the wealthiest and most scenic city in the country, and my former home). There is much beauty to behold, many things to experience, and the people are very friendly.

I am from China.

In all seriousness, I am from (and live in) Sevilla, Andalucía, España, Europa. Excellent climate, but summers are slightly (not sure if I should put scare quotes) harsh. And no, I do not care at all for el Betis contra el Sevilla, los toros, la feria or su puta madre en almíbar.

I'm from the Philippines.

Not much to see here from where I am, I live in a quiet subdivision located on a hill with one big mall downhill. Not much to see to here in my place other than typhoons, a few months ago there was like five typhoons that hit the country and it was a pain. The first one was perhaps the worst, the night that it hit I heard a bunch of roofs fly around. Kind of kept me from sleeping. When I woke up, I saw a piece on them in my mom's garden. We also had no electricity for weeks. (I'll use spoilers to keep things organized)

Spoiler

130852797_1093404437766389_3695727581617222496_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=2&_nc_sid=58c789&_nc_ohc=dXIpOFWQo1sAX86Gszq&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&oh=4f672e69973f330aacff83cba4cb2293&oe=5FF9F158

One of our neighbors also got a something like this but even bigger. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of it.

Here's a bunch of random pics I took:

Spoiler

A night in the city

130980791_385534832712842_7109887610769603568_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=58c789&_nc_ohc=vQOUJnqIdGkAX9UVyIA&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&oh=ee9ed7b429013d24c62fec54b2352c5c&oe=5FF8836C

Sunset

130833410_712392373003941_4614080721480429490_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=58c789&_nc_ohc=8h0-udRPXjQAX9aLEi7&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&oh=275b5773388c5fc164fdfffd3e15f3b2&oe=5FF99541

A view of the city

131024926_2824067684506797_432365118149594203_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=58c789&_nc_ohc=n0wJG-iYRoMAX9TVgcf&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&oh=35af686c940d87c8bf29ca8de6947510&oe=5FF6F244

On 10/25/2020 at 5:57 AM, ReeseJamPiece said:

"...I'm a huge geography geek"

"...to the right"

hmmm

jokes aside, great thing there's people fascinated with stuff like that. Also, love the damned british isles, wish I could live there some day

On 10/25/2020 at 1:23 PM, Matias said:

Finland. Mostly known for not existing

Had a sibling living in Finland. I know that ludicrous conspiracy theory

On 10/25/2020 at 10:43 AM, bobstremglav said:

But you need to believe. Also, not everybody here drink vodka and play balalaika everyday

Few russians I knew (some even relatives of mine) did drink a lot, so I thought the legend was true. My family visited St Petersburg, I didn't. I'd like to visit

On 10/26/2020 at 6:39 AM, seed said:

Romania here, we've got nice landscapes, castles, and tend to be fairly conservative sometimes.

And no, we're not vampires, for the most part :p .

I worked with guys from electronic arts romania for a while. They had the most awesome names. Romanian names are super cool

No I'm not going to say what country I'm from yet. It's been mentioned several times already in this thread so there's a lot of data right there

Edited by jupiter_ex

On 10/25/2020 at 6:23 PM, Matias said:

Finland. Mostly known for not existing

Markus Grölholm? 
Mika Hakkinen? 

Sami Hyypiä? 

Joona Kiiski? 

Pekka Rinne? 

Sakku Kooivu?  

Nightwish? 

Sonata Arctica? 

Apocalyptica? 

Children Of Bodom? 

One of the supposed places where Santa lives? 

The golf lawn divided in two time zones? 

Don't tell me Finland doesn't exist. 

27 minutes ago, spd7693 said:

Markus Grölholm? 
Mika Hakkinen? 

Sami Hyypiä? 

Joona Kiiski? 

Pekka Rinne? 

Sakku Kooivu?  

Nightwish? 

Sonata Arctica? 

Apocalyptica? 

Children Of Bodom? 

One of the supposed places where Santa lives? 

The golf lawn divided in two time zones? 

Don't tell me Finland doesn't exist. 

Well, he did already say it's based on an old internet joke when he replied to me months ago. :P

1 hour ago, jupiter_ex said:

I worked with guys from electronic arts romania for a while. They had the most awesome names. Romanian names are super cool

No I'm not going to say what country I'm from yet. It's been mentioned several times already in this thread so there's a lot of data right there

Glad to hear you've had pleasant experiences with us, we're pretty chill most of the time, but random things can bring out the worst in us.

Funnily I also have some friends who work at EA for some time now.

Cape Town, South Africa. A beautiful country known for wildlife, Braai’s (a braai is essentially a barbecue, just an Afrikaner people’s version) incompetent politicians and racial strains. Despite the problems relating to unemployment, race and finances, I can’t imagine living anywhere else.

And no, I don’t own a pet giraffe(in case that stereotype that people in South Africa have pet giraffes and rhino’s is still prevalent.

Also Charlese Theron and J.R.R Tolkien were born here.

On 10/26/2020 at 1:09 PM, Martin-CAI said:

I wouldn't have imagined that we were so many Argentinians.

I pretty much agree with what they mentioned. I could add that we have both Spanish and Italian roots, which means that we keep some intonations, expressions and habits from the latter (at least, in Buenos Aires and in many other provinces).

For example this:
website_thumbnail.00_00_00_00.Still001-3-1.jpg.38fc55f294fad0fbf6b3a5d3b083e5d8.jpg

This is a real thing in Argentina. I didn't know this was an italian gesture until it started circulating as "the italian gesture" all around the internet lately. Guess it's one more thing argentinians inherited from italians

On 12/11/2020 at 11:39 AM, seed said:

Glad to hear you've had pleasant experiences with us, we're pretty chill most of the time, but random things can bring out the worst in us.

Funnily I also have some friends who work at EA for some time now.

Well the poor guys I worked with were there all around the clock. You would ping the chat at any time day or night and they would be there, fixing bugs or doing features. Hope that changed a little now