Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

Doomworld International thread

OK so I'm a huge geography geek and love countries. So here's a thread in which we can discuss each others countries/regions cultures. Doomworld has people from all across the world so it'll be interesting to see what people say.

I'm from Scotland, a country of 5 million above England and to the right of Ireland. It's known for bagpipes, whiskey, kilts and drunken Highlanders starting barfights. It's a brilliant place, going to the countryside is like going to a medieval fairy tale book. Every place has it's flaws though, I'm not all that fond of the cities or politicians. Still a great place though.

How about you?

I am from Australia. The land where everything wants to kill you. Best known for koalas, kangaroos, Crocodile Dundee and budgie smugglers.

It’s an alright place :-) If your a tourist, it is a beautiful place and you could easily spend 6 months trekking around without getting board but you wouldn’t wanna live here as the house prices are fricking insane!

Argentina. Big country, I have never go out Buenos Aires, I know we have a lot of diferrent ambience (mountains, deserts, ice, etc).

We are known by

Mate ( An infusion of herbs that you suck through a pipe.) 

Maradona ( Best futbol player?) Messi ( Best futbol player?)

Tango ( A sexy dance.)

Saludos! 

2 hours ago, bobstremglav said:

Russia.

I don't know what to say.
And no, we don't have bears everywhere.

Russia without bears, I don't believe it!!!

Edited by Argenteo

23 minutes ago, Argenteo said:

Russia without bears, I don't believe it!!!

But you need to believe. Also, not everybody here drink vodka and play balalaika everyday

I'm from Saudi Arabia, from the Arabian Peninsula. A conservative country where sand exist in every region and city. Our Camels are not hostile, but they tend to fight back by biting with their big mouths and throwing people in the air if they were harmed in anyway. "Petroleum Oil" is like a keyword to the country in cyberspace. Good and bad people exist everywhere, you just need to know where to look. Tourism is not big and loud as some of the other countries. I can keep typing a whole 10 papers according to my living experience, but I think this should cover the reply of this nice thread. [DOOMWORLD INTERNATIONAL].

13 minutes ago, bobstremglav said:

But you need to believe. Also, not everybody here drink vodka and play balalaika everyday

Not everyone! Ok cool so just most people then ;-P

Jks :-P Australians have a bit of a stereotype for being piss heads (aka heavy drinkers - is “piss head” Aussie slang or do other countries use it too?) too so know what you mean :-P

8 minutes ago, DooM Bear said:

Ok cool so just most people then ;-P

>:/

10 minutes ago, DooM Bear said:

Jks :-P

Okey

Australian spiders really as huge as houses and cars? And there Kraken somewhere near to Australia?

5 hours ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

Scotland... It's a brilliant place, going to the countryside is like going to a medieval fairy tale book.

Let's not forget the highlands.

3 hours ago, DooM Bear said:

Australia.... Best known for koalas, kangaroos ....

If your a tourist, it is a beautiful place ...

Kangaroos are not as prevalent as popular culture would have you believe. As a tourist who visited for 10 days, I saw only a handful. I did see a few koalas in a grove of eucalyptus trees, and some semi-tame kookaburras. Yes, the scenery is spectacular, from the hills/valleys of the East, to the central desert with the magnificent Uluru, to the dramatic 12 Apostles in the Great Southern Ocean.

@Oday: I had intended to visit Saudi Arabia a long time ago when a friend of mine lived & worked there, but never made it. [Back then, the government didn't issue tourist visas unless you were sponsored by someone living there.]

@bobstremglav: I would love to visit Russia, especially Saint Petersburg

@Argenteo: Get out of the city! Explore! Argentina is a diverse and interesting place.

Like Doom Bear, I'm also Australian. The only interesting thing I can think to say in this regard is, because my diction/dialect/accent isn't stereotypical, a lot of people mistake me for being from the UK instead. I reckon this might have something to do with the fact that I grew up watching a lot of British comedy films and children's programs back in the day.

I'm from Buenos aires, the great Babylonia of Argentina and the big city with the main port to the sea.
Much like Argenteo said, our country is more know by people and things that are not much representative from us. So our identity is diverse and not unified as a whole.

There are a lot political struggles in here, most of them centered on the terrible social and economic difference between the different parts of the country.

And most could be explained with one good coined term: Fascism.
And yes, it is reaching nazism levels.

Once ago, i went away from the big whore city, and i was able to look at who diverse is everything out there. Outside of the city, the places are less urbanized and so, little resting towns appeard here and there. There are a lot of natural spaces where the hand of men didn't touch anything and is really cool to look at.

But as every coin, there is other side. The locals tells and know truth that us from the city, the Porteños, an slang to clasify portuary people, didn't know. Truth that just minorities know and no one care on the urbanized areas.

In short, most free space, its not really free in a national sense. And so, taking a walk in the wilderness could end with you shoot to death by an angry landlord. And they will be out of charge, as you were transpassing another people property, even when there is no mark of it nowhere.

So yeah, there is a really big difference between the people on the country side, that is almost all the country, and Buenos Aires, the tiny big city that rules all over the place.

Its kinda sad having a vast and resourceful country in almost every area and it being wasted on socio economic struggles in the hands of very few an inept landlords.

Edited by P41R47

I'm from Chile, the skinny bastard from South America that likes to shake the ground with earthquakes as much as Japan thanks to the ring of fire and has the most incomprehensive spanish EVER. Aside of some big political issues and a very important moment that's happening right now (a plebiscite to approve the change to the constitution), our country offers a variety of landscapes and weather. While the north is dry and more "desolated", the south is cold and rains a lot with lots of green landscape such as forests and big fields. Also has a lot of seafood and other typical stuff and you have more than 4000 kilometers to enjoy the sea. Sadly, there are many negative points than positive points and not gonna mention here because the list is LONG.

I'm from Slovenia. (hence the name Slovinator cuz I'm an unoriginal twat) Small country formerly part of Yugoslavia that borders with Italy, Austria, Hungary & Croatia. Looks like a chicken on a map according to some people.

Well known for Triglav (highest mountain), lake Bled & its cream cake (insanely overrated dessert but not bad). Oh & pop-folk music.

Crime & natural disasters here are kind of low. The worst natural disaster we get is flooded areas & very strong winds. One tornado appeared in 1986 but didn't last long.

As for crimes, no serial killers since last one committed suicide 13 years ago & no mass shooters. Though, there are homicides but they are usually family related & some robberies, usually ATM related.

Other than that, nothing really special. Peaceful country for the most part.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

Its kinda sad having a vast and resourceful country in almost every area and it being wasted on socio economic struggles in the hands of very few an inept landlords.

This reminds me of my country as of 90s. But it looks like now the things are going better or I just think so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm from Southwestern Ontario, Canada. Although it's basically just America with free health care. It dosen't really feel like Canada because we dont get nearly as much snow as Alberta or Quebec, but it still gets pretty chilly down here. Not a whole lot of crime happens where I live, but I'm sure places like London and Toronto are far worse. There's some nice towns and country houses around here. I love my town, even though it's pretty small. 

14 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

This reminds me of my country as of 90s. But it looks like now the things are going better or I just think so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thats good to know!
Probably a change let your country go in a different way :)

6 minutes ago, Matias said:

Finland. Mostly known for not existing

Its funny that you say that.
When i was a kid, Cheetos, fried chips and different snacks come with some little circular shaped collectable things, know around here as Tazos, that depicted the adventures of Cheester Cheeta around the world.
Well the last Tazo was in Finland, and i interpret it as ENDland as Fin means End on my language, and so i thought it was an imaginary place called that way because it was the last place of his adventures.

EDIT:
Found it!
Take a look :D
ENDland.png.61e4cbda205457a73e652d66a5bce215.png

Edited by P41R47

Originally I am from the middle/north-ish of England, a place known for pubs, closed mines, lost industry, pretty walks and more pubs. It's simultaneously that stereotypical quaint English village and that stereotypical rough, dirty northern industrial town.

I've since lived a few places, but for the last seven years I've lived in the far northwest corner of America, in a city called Seattle. It's got mountains on three sides, endless forests, glacial rivers and lakes, and one of the worst wealth divides in the country. It's a city where many homeless people have jobs, to put that into perspective.  But it is probably my favorite city in the US (perhaps behind only New Orleans and its amazingly lax drinking laws).

4 minutes ago, Bauul said:

middle/north-ish of England, a place known for ... closed mines, lost industry... stereotypical rough, dirty northern industrial town.

Sadly, this has been the price of progress.

7 minutes ago, Bauul said:

... Seattle. It's got mountains on three sides, endless forests, glacial rivers and lakes, and one of the worst wealth divides in the country. It's a city where many homeless people have jobs ....

"Homeless people with jobs" is an oxymoron, if I ever heard one, and it's a terrible situation. Yes, some cities in the US have the previously-unheard of problem of solidly middle-income workers who can't afford rent. San Francisco is another example.

[Incidentally, if you haven't done so already, check out the magnificent temperate rain forest in the Olympic National Park.]

13 minutes ago, Bauul said:

.... New Orleans and its amazingly lax drinking laws ....

Not to mention the near-constant smell of urine and vomit at night. [The gnomes magically clean it all up by morning.] But, on the plus side, there's the mighty Mississippi River that flows through the city, and the abundance of free music (from Country, to jazz & blues, and mainstream rock & roll).

I'm from Karakalpakstan which is so-called an "autonomous" republic within Uzbekistan which is in Central Asia and was the part of USSR. My country is only "known" for its environmental disaster.

Spoiler

The shrinking of the Aral Sea has been called "one of the planet's worst environmental disasters".[10] The region's once-prosperous fishing industry has been devastated, bringing unemployment and economic hardship. The water from the diverted Syr Darya river is used to irrigate about two million hectares (5,000,000 acres) of farmland in the Ferghana Valley.[11] The Aral Sea region is also heavily polluted, with consequential serious public health problems. UNESCO added the historical documents concerning the development of the Aral Sea to its Memory of the World Register as a unique resource to study this "environmental tragedy".

I live in Saint Augustine, FL. The oldest (and probably) most gothic city in the country. Here are some pictures I took. :)

A while back, I created a thread where you can share pictures of your city. Not trying to pimp out my own posts, but you can check it out if you want!

13934882_1155078641226524_4107030625537916475_n.jpg

21768775_1571453216255729_5563783235163219439_o.jpg

13920492_1156691751065213_2307544492610367805_o.jpg

I am from Denmark. We are known for design,  pastry(danish), Lego, H.C Anderson and Furniture.

Suffolk, Virginia (USA) is where I currently reside, but I was born in Savannah Georgia, and have lived in various cities in Virginia and North Carolina. I am always near the border between these two states. I love it here and have no intentions on ever moving out of this general area. Life is good. 

there’s a lot of early US history in the state I live in. Just driving around you’ll find something historical to look into spanning the first colony to events relating to the Second World War.