Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DevilMyEyes

GEHENNA.wad (some info about my new d2 level)

As the name says..GEHENNA in the hebrew's Bible, is the purgatory or entryway for all souls.

This is the sequel that follows what BLIND.wad lefts off. Imagery, Quake gimmicks, A bit of darkness but no hurtable blood, nonstop action

and for the first time, on my mapping history, i will make 11 explorable secrets. GEHENNA also includes a breathtaking and grungy sky!

There's so much stuff to discover and kill..i really hope this succedes..

Can't wait until you play it!

(Due some confusion with the WAD's name i decided to change it to Gehenna as the wad approaches more to Hebrew than Arabic)

W.I.P First area of the level:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20201025_161557.png.90f69aba099fcd13e9cdb9bbc9fcfe27.png

Edited by DevilMyEyes

11 explorable secrets is just up my alley, do let me know when it's released!

This guy is just making up stuff about Judaism as he goes along. Jewish hell?

Jews don't really believe in hell or heaven for that matter. those are Christian constructs which you are inaccurately applying to Judaism (and it is problematic to do so willy-nilly because "you can"). Judaism focuses on the earthly existence of people and warns away from useless speculations of detail for the afterlife (which is exactly what you are doing in essence). 

Judging by your approach, I'd say you aren't Jewish, and in fact have a very limited understanding of what Judaism is or how it functions. which leads me to believe that you probably have a bunch of anti-Semitic doctrine backing your ideas and you should interrogate where these are coming from. for instance, the Star of David, is not religious. it's a symbol for the state of Israel, and has become synonymous with Jewish nationalism. which is entirely different to how Christians use symbolism and the subversion of symbolism that occurs in biblical hell (a subversion which is made by the Christians themselves not an outsider.). another example of how uninformed all of this is, is the name. which is actually Islamic for hell. and we are now really doing ourselves a trouble by conflating those two.

all in all this feels like the work of a Christian who wants to try poke fun at other religions the same way id did to Christianity back in the 90's and the biggest problem with that is the heaving misunderstanding around the realities of the religions at hand. Judaism is not comparable to Christianity and thus cannot be subverted in the same way.

I know you are young, (16) I believe, so I'm not trying to attack you. but I think you should spend more time developing your ideas with research, and not just hearsay or opinion. everything about this is misinformed, and as a result screams anti-Semitism.  

Art is cool, art that is shocking is also cool, but art that tries to be shocking while being entirely uninformed, is pretty pointless and comes off as ignorant. 

The work looks good by the way, it's a pity you are marring it with bad philosophy. 

And I will end off by saying, Anti-semitism isn't edgy or cool don't waste your time with folks who think otherwise. 

#FreePalestine 

4 hours ago, Dylan Omen said:

This guy is just making up stuff about Judaism as he goes along. Jewish hell?

Jews don't really believe in hell or heaven for that matter. those are Christian constructs which you are inaccurately applying to Judaism (and it is problematic to do so willy-nilly because "you can"). Judaism focuses on the earthly existence of people and warns away from useless speculations of detail for the afterlife (which is exactly what you are doing in essence). 

Judging by your approach, I'd say you aren't Jewish, and in fact have a very limited understanding of what Judaism is or how it functions. which leads me to believe that you probably have a bunch of anti-Semitic doctrine backing your ideas and you should interrogate where these are coming from. for instance, the Star of David, is not religious. it's a symbol for the state of Israel, and has become synonymous with Jewish nationalism. which is entirely different to how Christians use symbolism and the subversion of symbolism that occurs in biblical hell (a subversion which is made by the Christians themselves not an outsider.). another example of how uninformed all of this is, is the name. which is actually Islamic for hell. and we are now really doing ourselves a trouble by conflating those two.

all in all this feels like the work of a Christian who wants to try poke fun at other religions the same way id did to Christianity back in the 90's and the biggest problem with that is the heaving misunderstanding around the realities of the religions at hand. Judaism is not comparable to Christianity and thus cannot be subverted in the same way.

I know you are young, (16) I believe, so I'm not trying to attack you. but I think you should spend more time developing your ideas with research, and not just hearsay or opinion. everything about this is misinformed, and as a result screams anti-Semitism.  

Art is cool, art that is shocking is also cool, but art that tries to be shocking while being entirely uninformed, is pretty pointless and comes off as ignorant. 

The work looks good by the way, it's a pity you are marring it with bad philosophy. 

And I will end off by saying, Anti-semitism isn't edgy or cool don't waste your time with folks who think otherwise. 

#FreePalestine 

I apologize for this and yes, you are right. Didn't make research about this and i just wanted to tryna do a shock factor making the star of david red and calling it a unholy version of the pentagram, that was dumb as a shock factor. I shouldn't have added Judaism in the first place. And no, im not Jewish or anti-semitic. i have no idea how their religion works. Thanks for opening my eyes, i really should look back and develop a better idea for this wad because it is misinformed and just doesn't make sense.  

Just now, Dylan Omen said:

No worries dude, we all make mistakes! keep on mapping, you have a good eye for aesthetics!

Thanks man

I forgot to mention that the floor symbols on the screenshot mean "I will kill you" in hebrew. I dunno, it's a weird touch i wanted to put on the first area.

Edited by DevilMyEyes

Just now, NoahRules said:

Man this looks cool, can't wait to see more

Glad you like it! There will be more of this for sure.

15 hours ago, DevilMyEyes said:

Thanks man

Great example of how to amicably resolve a dispute, well done.

Subsequent trolling by third parties has been removed and I hope it can be forgotten.

The name actually resembles the Arabic name (Jahannam) more tham the Hebrew name (Gehinnom/Gehenna). Otherwise, I didn't expect such a discussion to happen to begin with.

1 hour ago, InDOOMnesia said:

The name actually resembles the Arabic name (Jahannam) more tham the Hebrew name (Gehinnom/Gehenna). Otherwise, I didn't expect such a discussion to happen to begin with.

Oh, that is what i'm looking for..I'll be changing it to Gehenna because it makes more sense, thanks InDOOMnesia.