Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Martin-CAI

Would you pay for a classic Doom remake?

I was just wondering, would you guys like a remake of Doom 1 or 2? If so, would you like it to be with the old or the new Doom games mechanics? What things would you like and what others you'd be completely displeased to see? How would you do it?

I personally really like the idea of remakes, but I'd surely mix some elements of both Doom eras. 

Just now, Martin-CAI said:

.... a remake of Doom 1 or 2 ...

Several excellent remakes have already been made. And many of them are free.

If redone from the ground up?

Certainly, if good. Otherwise, this has already been attempted before.

It honestly seems kind of pointless when there is a modern reboot and a classic modding scene still going strong.

Give me something new instead, new levels, new ideas, new locations....etc, the new games already have this covered.

I wouldn't mind seeing a proper remake though. Prettier graphics, more polished gameplay, and perhaps a couple more neat ideas and reworks here and there. most of the remakes that already exist are either unfinished (Classic Doom 3) not super good (KDiZD) or simply port the levels in a crude way (Doom Reborn). something like Black Mesa would be interesting to see, recreate the levels from scratch, add a bunch more interesting tricks to them...etc

2 hours ago, Martin-CAI said:

I was just wondering, would you guys like a remake of Doom 1 or 2? If so, would you like it to be with the old or the new Doom games mechanics? What things would you like and what others you'd be completely displeased to see? How would you do it?

I personally really like the idea of remakes, but I'd surely mix some elements of both Doom eras. 

while they dont have the pills for health, its a 4/10 just for knowing that, if it has more of a classic render type, ill surely buy that.

if we're talking about a good remake with nice graphics, bit improved gameplay, a remastered soundtrack and all that stuff, then hell yea i'd pay for that.

now if we're talking about a remake in the style of that shitstain called "doom remake 4" (im talking about that mod btw not doom 4) , then no, i wouldn't even touch it with a stick.

I will not buy any kind of remake until it has a mod support as good as we already have.

for me, classic doom is fine the way it is. and if i don't feel like playing vanilla there are multiple source ports to choose from as well as countless mods, the original game does not need to be remade in my opinion when there is practically unlimited content for the original.

I might pay for a remake of Doom 1 as Doom Eternal DLC, but I doubt they'll go down that route.  Otherwise the answer is "probably not".

A remake of Classic Doom seems completely pointless, you would need to change everything from the original game to make it work, which has already been done with Doom 3 and NuDoom. 

And, frankly, the gameplay and level design of the original games are almost impossible to recreate in a modern game without it feeling off.

Depends on what type of remake
If it's a Mario 3D All-Stars remake (upscaled textures with nothing new) then no
If it's a Crash N. Sane Trilogy remake (Remade from scratch with new content) then yes

Only if they bring back the Dream Team one more time to make it. 

There's nothing a remake could offer that the base game plus a source port couldn't already do, so a remake would be pointless. It's simply too perfect that anything that would be altered in a remake runs the risk of ruining it.

On the one hand, I'm a classic fanboy that thinks everything about the series is perfect as is.

But on the other hand, I really like the gameplay of modern Doom.

So maybe if it had modern gameplay but kept the aesthetic intact? Doom Eternal gets it a lot closer than Doom 4, but I'm thinking a more direct interpretation than even that.

Would be of no interest to me, but it would bring more people into the fold and be a positive influence on contemporary game design, so I'm a-fer it.

I would, only if it's a restyling of the engine (improved design, a smoother tech and possibly a reboot of the original episodes, maybe with a little expanding on the game plot), but keeping the game as simple as an old game from the 90's could be, because there are alot of games that'd rather like things to remain "old school" and because that's what they did when they released Doom II, or Quake 2, when the gaming industry didn't have the urge to reset all gaming rules to keep competitive with each other.

I don't really need a 20 hours game with new gaming techniques that requires me to get new computer equipment to run.

I can just go with the new era Doom games if that's the case.

Like others have said, a fancy-schmancy HD remake of the Classic Doom games seems rather pointless in eyes of this community. To us, Doom 1 and 2 have aged like fine wine and our mappers, modders and sourceport programmers continue to breathe new life into and transcend Doom far beyond its original borders into something far greater in scope and possibility thanks to their innovations and creativity. Mind you, one benefit I can see is, much like the nuDoom games, it'd certainly keep bringing in newcomers to the community. Though much like Gez, I too prefer that people make new games rather than constantly remake or make countless spin-offs and sequels and prequels of the same handful of old games and stagnate the medium. So I'd honestly be encouraging id Software to keep exploring nuDoom rather than remake the old ones if there is to be more Doom games in the future.

Edited by Biodegradable

Yes, if it were done in the style of this artwork.... 

That would be really damn impressive to see & play.

image.png.e828121a3392258abfc958acee9f9a2a.png

1 hour ago, AinuTheTaken said:

I wouldn't mind seeing exactly the same graphics (or sprites) from back then, if that's what ya mean, in a new Doom game!

The closest thing we got to that was NERVE.WAD/NRFTL and the semi-official SIGIL from Romero, albeit they were just new episodes, but still... unless they endorse a official DOOM 3 using the classic engine and unrelated to the DOOM 3 we got in 2004, that's probably as much as we will get in the sense of a new doom game based on the classic resources.  And Bethesda/id have pretty much endorsed SIGIL by including it in the recent classic DOOM re-releases approved addons.

Additionally, I beleive Romero made mention of more addendum episodes or maps to come, and since Zenimax seems to endorse his work on SIGIL and bundle it in with the recent rereleases, I'd say it's safe to consider it official new canon classic doom material.

We can always dream that they (id software of today) would negotiate some return for Carmack, Romero & some of the other OG id team to work on or partake in a cool officially id-backed side project to make a entirely new DOOM game based on the classic doom engine or let them remake them in a modern engine with graphics to similar to what I posted in my prior comment.... and that would generate likely a huge amount of attention and probably be a hit (or at least to us, the uber-obsessed classic doom fans). That's been the fantasy of a great many for a long time, so most of are us just happy to get *something* semi-official or endorsed by some of the id founders, so even if that never happens (though with their new leadership being under Microsoft, i guess anything is possible), we'll happily settle for more SIGIL-style releases from dooms original dev team for our classic nostalgia needs (and from community creations of course).

Edited by Buckshot

4 hours ago, NoahRules said:

Depends on what type of remake
If it's a Mario 3D All-Stars remake (upscaled textures with nothing new) then no
If it's a Crash N. Sane Trilogy remake (Remade from scratch with new content) then yes

Pretty much this. I think classic Doom's crazy-fast gameplay speed could work fine in a semi-modern engine, someone just has to bite the bullet and do it. I've heard lots of people saying a more modern iteration of the maps wouldn't work over the years but I think with a little imagination any apparent limitation can be overcome.

Reception of the idea seems to be somewhere between cold and ice cold though (and always has been pretty consistently when similar threads show up) so as much as I may want it, I doubt it will ever happen, and it's no great loss since there's an endless number of great mods for OG Doom and fun-to-play modern installments in the series. Just one little itch I've always had that won't ever be scratched :(

59 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Reception of the idea seems to be somewhere between cold and ice cold though 

Oh there's a lot of bark and very little bite from the fans/community on that matter. Everyone says one thing, but the minute they officially re-release classic DOOM in anyform (either as standalone rereleases or nested in modern DOOM releases as secret areas or extras), we buy it anyway... even if we rant about the changes or inaccuracies that alter the classics in any form, lol.

It's not a matter of that we won't bite.... it's HOW many will bite on a complete "HD" overhaul of a near-30 year old game. Sure, if they (id software ) put in the effort to make a 'classic DOOM HD remake' series, all of us here will buy it (even those here saying they wouldn't.... yeah, they're not fooling anyone, even if only to pick it apart).  But the juice has to be worth the squeeze. Whether we like it or not, it's a niche fanbase that is so attached to the classics and actively playing/modding them. For todays generation of gamers, it may be too much of a classic for any of them to remember if they ever played it at all (most of us who were old enough to play the classics at their time of release and during their heyday are probably almost 40 or well into it, if not 50's by now). Sure, there's younger gamers who knew what's good and got into the classics somewhere along the way, but even then, the majority of todays gamers missed the classic doom mania we all grew up with.

It's one thing to simply make a classic rerelease over and over... it's probably quick and easy and makes ok-at-best profit in doing so. But the resources and time to do a classic HD overhaul, thats a significant time and cost that may not recoup the effort involved from a business perspective. The window of time that would have been profitable has likely passed as the gamers growing up now likely wouldn't take much interest (unless its something far more modern like DOOM 2016/Eternal) and they'd be catering only to the niche crowd that would be, well, us... the remaining classic fanbase.

EDIT:  Of course... sometimes it's not always about being a financial success (at least not entirely). A company like id/bethesda/zenimax/microsoft has pretty much infinitely deep pockets. Maybe they don't care how much a project rakes in, but rather just wants to keep the interest in the series alive. And a official classic HD remake would certainly garner a lot of interest and raise some brows (not just here, but in the world of game journalism... it would be on fire as most journalist are either avid aging fanatics of DOOM like ourselves or they are well versed on DOOM's history and greatness from their time exploring everything gaming). The hype and buzz itself could be really good placement, and it may make it a big hit and get todays gamers to explore the classics.  Especially if they offer ability to mod it in some form just like the classics (though todays younger gamers probably could careless about source code, PC-only mod/mapping tools, etc; they want creator tools that can be used with ease). Again, studios sometimes just do things for fun and for fans... but also attached to promote their other/upcoming IP. Gotta subsidize even if subliminally to recoup efforts spent.

Edited by Buckshot

If ID themselves straight up made a HD remake of DooM/DooM II then I MIGHT play it, provided they stick to the classic style of gameplay and scrap the "Rip & Tear" mechanics of 4+5/eternal.

Hopefully they'd make Episode 4 tolerable. XD

Yeah, absolutely. Just no glory kills and more emphasis on movement, satisfying gunplay and gore. Those are all the things that make Doom great in my mind. The design is obviously important as well and if it were the case, I hope they stick as close to the originals as possible