Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Exskelethor

Favourite fire/lighting effect?

I've spent a couple of hours today building a new and dark map which has lead to some interesting ideas for lighting in different areas (some good, some bad).

I was wondering what everyones preferred method of lighting effect was. If you use a fire stick, do you tier sections and change the lighting to make a gradient? do you use the stock fire flicker or even both?

I know a lot of you are really experienced in this kind of stuff so I'm hoping to get some good ideas from you to help myself and anyone else who gets stuck on lighting.

(leftmost is tiered, centre is flickering and right-most is both)

Thanks again!

Screenshot_Doom_20201026_134105.png

I recommend against using plain/gradient lights for torches. Torches have flickering lights, so it makes sense to always use the effect. Use plain/gradient lights when you are making lamps.

Also this may be a personal preference, but I also recommend against using it to make small light details like that, seems quite pointless. Sector torches are best used in complex geometry to simulate shadows, like this:image.png.d2f65c9f030f55c0c953b3d6708784c2.png

2 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I recommend against using plain/gradient lights for torches. Torches have flickering lights, so it makes sense to always use the effect. Use plain/gradient lights when you are making lamps.

Also this may be a personal preference, but I also recommend against using it to make small light details like that, seems quite pointless. Sector torches are best used in complex geometry to simulate shadows, like this:image.png.d2f65c9f030f55c0c953b3d6708784c2.png

After checking out your example, I can totally agree with you on those points. I'll most likely start replacing the torches with lamps and see how things go asthetically, though i'm sure they'll look good and save me heaps of time on making gradients all over the place lol.

It means a lot to have some ideas thrown my way by a mod-machine like yourself, so thanks heaps for that!

I may have more questions for you at some point, if you have spare time *thumbs up*

On 10/25/2020 at 10:42 PM, Exskelethor said:

I've spent a couple of hours today building a new and dark map which has lead to some interesting ideas for lighting in different areas .... I was wondering what everyones preferred method of lighting effect was.

You didn't specify in what source port (if any) you are building your map. If you are using doom.exe or doom2.exe, your options are quite different than if you are using a source port that allows different ways to create in-game lighting. In "vanilla" DooM, using gradient sector lighting for torches can create particularly jarring visual effects, because the torch will be flickering and the sector lighting will not be.

On 10/26/2020 at 9:07 AM, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Honestly this looks a bit too exaggerated with the torch somehow lighting up such a huge area, Torches work fine in lighting up small spaces like corridors and small rooms like that but in the case of having to light up such large areas I think i'd be better if the light at least faded with distance or was replaced with something such as a fireplace using a fire texture for the light to be "emitted" from or even better by doing both to justify it lighting up such a huge area, and using the fade away to make it look better/more "realistic", like this:

GERu7iO.png
2XvWCXW.png

Spoiler

Or you could just use a dynamic lights instead lol, in fact I originally made this specific example as a joke but while doing so I realized that you COULD actually use dynamic lights in GZDoom at first to get a more accurate idea of how the sector lighting should look in whatever section of the map you want to have sector lightining with obstacles blocking the way, then basically draw over the result to have sector lighting that's far more accurate to how it should look than if you just tried to guess.

SMMzOIQ.png

Edited by inkoalawetrust

Lighting is something that's often not given much thought to in Doom levels, unfortunately. Contrast can add a lot to a level. It's an easy way to add a lot more atmosphere, visual variety, and life to any room.

My favorite type of lighting is a bright light that goes over several sectors of different height from each other, with a very dark brightness level in the areas uncovered by light.

Here's a quick room I made. It obviously doesn't look that good, but it definitely looks a bit better on the screenshot featuring a large lighting contrast, in my opinion.

NVIDIA_Share_MeoQmEdZqB.png.7ed8c244686ac3778604b166c6d6061d.pngcrispy-doom_oaJgChyDOW.png.63d7695be98dae192a92df1c0303ca1b.png