Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

New Clippy map with all kinds of backpacks and stuff come on by!

This is a clever high concept. It will likely take me a lot of attempts. I think the best strategy will probably be to alternate between high stopping power and rapid fire.

Yo clippy, nice concept here. Knowing the backpack locations helps a lot, as well as knowing the route/progression. But probably the best thing is replayability.

Im trying to get my precious 100%, but that soulsphere+mega-armor combo is beyond my brains, plus other secret that I have no idea where is it, cant get clues even on the auto-map, I think.... Will see if I can get a good and fast run buddy, I know theres something around...

Edit: You tricked my mind with those wooden building man, just need that blue power-up duo.

Edited by Soulless

Very nice. Played with GZDooM and HMP. I feared there would not be enough backpacks but I can tell you that there were enough backpacks for your whole family and friends. I think I chose the easy way: first plasma, then rocket launcher, double-barreled shotgun, chaingun, BFG9k and shotgun. My only issue was that there was no Cheez-It nor chicken wings in my backpacks. Where can I file an official complaint?

dude, why the fuck didn't you tell me about this!!!!!

I expect at least a private message with some nudes in it...

i know i didn't answer last one but i was full of shit to do and i completely forgot :( sorry man.

I will always find time to play and record your maps, and to insult a bit whenever it's possible :)

I ll play this tonight!

Heres the video!

In the details I credited also Arqueto since Im using that gret pic as thumbnail, and the real map name, too long for youtube man!

I finished the level with two secrets unfound and 30 items unpicked. I thought I missed something with the fakeout area with the teleport in the stairs, but apparently not.

Two pointless remarks:

-If you fall from the platform right at the start, before taking a weapon, you get stuck. Of course since by definition you have not done anything yet, you do not lose any progress for just restarting the level.

- If you take the rocket launcher, you can rocket jump to get another weapon before you are supposed to. Of course that also means you have to do the first fight with like less than ten health so that cheese is bitter.

I played this last night and had a blast.  I really enjoy how creative you are with your level concepts.  I got all kills and 4/7 secrets on UV.  My weapon order was SSG, Plasma, Rocket Launcher, Chaingun, BFG, Shotgun.

• I got lost a few times (which I thought was funny since you got lost in my map) but never for too long.  I did have to do some backtracking and looking around but that was fine since it let me look more for secrets.
  • I'm glad I didn't hold off on the BFG longer--I got it right in time for the cacoswarm.  Probably my favorite fight, I think.  You have room to maneuver but the cacos can still sneak up on you by flying over the buildings.
  • It's probably hard to balance but maybe there were too many backpacks by the midpoint or so?  Of course, I still died a few times, so maybe it's fine for health pickups to be the main limiting factor.

I quite enjoy your maps and will be happy to play them in the future even if you need to take a break.

I HAVE REPLACED THE SOURCE FILE WITH MINOR UPDATES

Wow! Thanks for the replies everyone - keep em coming :)

@Stabbey Hope you're having fun let me know how you make out!

@Soulless Wow your vids are amazing as always - 13 or so mins damn I can't even beat it that fast and I spent some time building this. Arqueto will be happy you shared his pic. I made some changes and moved the 6 backpacks at the end to a brand new secret. Now 8 secrets! Also reworked rev ledge thing giving 2 ways to access it. If you have a gander let me know what you think

@Zolgia108 I only released it recently so I would have let you know soon! BE sure to get the latest file as I added a secret and reworked some things - minor

@Gez If you neglect to take a weapon you only have a pistol and are pretty screwed anyway. Regardless if you click on the wall that looks different you will lower it so I did think of this. But to make it even more obvious I set walk over lines in the water to lower it as well. PS try to rocket jump to the weapons now ;)

@Salmon It makes me very happy to hear you had fun. Thanks for telling me the weapon order I am curious how ppl will approach this. As for getting lost yeah hopefully not too bad, I was worried about this - I tried very unique progression here and didn't use keys, each new area opens new areas. I had to keep reworking things in my map, earlier versions had just waaay to many cacos. I had the hardest time ever balancing this map, I know there is probably too many backpacks but I was worried ppl may miss some or not find the secrets, so I said screw it I would rather ppl have too much resources than my original version that didn't have enough at all lol

5 hours ago, SP_FACE1 said:

Very nice. Played with GZDooM and HMP. I feared there would not be enough backpacks but I can tell you that there were enough backpacks for your whole family and friends. I think I chose the easy way: first plasma, then rocket launcher, double-barreled shotgun, chaingun, BFG9k and shotgun. My only issue was that there was no Cheez-It nor chicken wings in my backpacks. Where can I file an official complaint?

Oh shoot I missed ya. I probably should have taken some backpacks out of lower settings, I typically map in UV and remove some for lower settings, changing the monster count only. 

Sorry for any confusion my backpack has the chicken wings and cheez-its and I ate them all 

New version, found all secrets and items this time! And got the first wave of archvile before they resurrected too many boors! And knew to leave the harmless lost souls alone so that they can serve as ablative shield against the chaingunners. And didn't rocket jump! And it only took me 38 minutes!

It's a pretty fun map. I went with RL first, mostly avoided/lured away the first wave of monsters, rushed to the teleporter to get SSG next instead of avoiding the teleporter until everything was cleaned out like in my first attempt (well I don't trust teleporters, okay?), then cleaned up the accumulated jabronis, took the BFG next, so as to say hello to the first archvile with my favorite way of greeting them, grabbed the secret chainsaw, and so on. Chaingun next, then shotgun, and finally plasma rifle which I didn't actually use at any point.

12 minutes ago, Gez said:

New version, found all secrets and items this time! And got the first wave of archvile before they resurrected too many boors! And knew to leave the harmless lost souls alone so that they can serve as ablative shield against the chaingunners. And didn't rocket jump! And it only took me 38 minutes!

It's a pretty fun map. I went with RL first, mostly avoided/lured away the first wave of monsters, rushed to the teleporter to get SSG next instead of avoiding the teleporter until everything was cleaned out like in my first attempt (well I don't trust teleporters, okay?), then cleaned up the accumulated jabronis, took the BFG next, so as to say hello to the first archvile with my favorite way of greeting them, grabbed the secret chainsaw, and so on. Chaingun next, then shotgun, and finally plasma rifle which I didn't actually use at any point.

Thanks buddy! New version has minor changes, all mostly at the start. I took @Soulless advice and added bars so now nobody can trip and be clumsy and miss an opening weapon. Also disabled jump/crouch. To prevent rocket jumping to weapons I added a linedef facing you to teleport you away if you get up there. Moved 6 backpacks from exit to the new 8th secret. 

My intention with Lost Souls was if you left them alive they would all escape and get all over the place but they never seem to make it far... I kinda gave up trying to make that work the way I wanted but I never considered them as meat shields against against chaingunners. They are the only monsters that can drop weapons because I couldn't use them sooner or it would break my choose your weapon gimmick

I don't even know the amount of combos when it comes to weapon grabbing. Very interested you grabbed rocket rocket launcher first, I would not dare try lol. MY preference mostly ended up being plasma, SSG, chaingun, RL, BFG, single sg

This feedback was very interesting and I am glad you had fun!

PS I never trust teleports or lowering lifts to unknown areas either, always press save when I do others maps at this point lol

this is actually the best map you ever made.

i ve got a video of me single segmenting it after some tries. Had a great time. love.

ALSO: music is perfect, cover is perfect. you should make a megawad with all your maps until now

24 minutes ago, Zolgia108 said:

this is actually the best map you ever made.

i ve got a video of me single segmenting it after some tries. Had a great time. love.

ALSO: music is perfect, cover is perfect. you should make a megawad with all your maps until now

Thanks buddy - I should figure out how to do this and force pistol starts on the maps

Keeping them in a megawad would be a good idea

Glad you had fun!

33 minutes ago, Zolgia108 said:

ALSO: you should make a megawad with all your maps until now

"Fried Chicken 87" could be the opener, no ammo left for second map. "Fortress of Secrecy" should be the secret map haha

2 minutes ago, Soulless said:

"Fried Chicken 87" could be the opener, no ammo left for second map. "Fortress of Secrecy" should be the secret map haha

I like that idea but all my maps were designed for pistol start and I typically give all weapons at one point or another

IT might be too easy on continuous but ppl can play how they want

I got to learn how to do this, hopefully I can just dump them all into Slade somehow

1 hour ago, Clippy said:

I like that idea but all my maps were designed for pistol start and I typically give all weapons at one point or another

IT might be too easy on continuous but ppl can play how they want

I got to learn how to do this, hopefully I can just dump them all into Slade somehow

If you compile them in slade, you can force pistol start for every map.

I can tell you how if you're interested.

3 minutes ago, BluePineapple72 said:

If you compile them in slade, you can force pistol start for every map.

I can tell you how if you're interested.

Thanks I believe I need the MapInfo command 

Nojump 

Nocrouch 

Pistolstart 

?

Just now, BluePineapple72 said:

Naw, here is how Steve88 did Pandemonium:

defaultmap
{
nojump
nocrouch

resetinventory

resethealth

resetitems
}

Thanks so much !!! 

I got the compilation started seems to be quite easy

Just now, Clippy said:

Thanks so much !!! 

I got the compilation started seems to be quite easy

Hell yeah! Compiling isn't all that difficult, but it can be rather tedious. I'd suggest you open up Pandemonium Speedcontest in Slade to see how it's done (that's how I figured out to compile September Under the Sea)

I'm no good at this. I just cannot break the mindset of conserving ammo, so I try and do infighting, and that means I save-scum like crazy and reload constantly.

EDIT: All right, trying again, I think I have a foothold now. Choices are SSG, Plasma, BFG, Chaingun, and RL is next.

Okay, I beat the map, and I got 6 out of 8 secrets. Interesting concept, the start is really rough on ammo, but get enough progress to reach 3-ish weapons and it just steamrolls from there on out.

The purpose of the teleport on the stairs to a strange off-the-map area with a switch and other things you can't get eludes me. There didn't seem to be anything I could do on the first visit.

Edited by Stabbey

9 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

I'm no good at this. I just cannot break the mindset of conserving ammo, so I try and do infighting, and that means I save-scum like crazy and reload constantly.

tell me, I'm just testing the map, and I can only stay in one place to kill the enemies that come my way without leaving that small room, getting the demons to infight from time to time, but getting do not accumulate so many to advance progress.

Sweet buttery Christ, and I thought 2 Cyberdemons was difficult. You've outdone yourself yet again, mate. Mind you, I found this one less fun and more of just an endurance test, if I'm being honest. Your creativity and out-of-the-box methods remains strong and I really love the concept, but the combat was just really overwhelming and draining for me personally.

That all being said, no doubt plenty of our hardcore Doomers will love it. In fact, oi @Bridgeburner56 stick this in your pipe and smoke it, you handsome renegade.

It was funny to see you humping every single wall except the ones that can be triggered.

Spoiler

The metal pillars.

Also teleporters are your friend in that map, always hurry to the teleporter instead of fighting the monsters. (All teleporter pads bring you back to the "choose a weapon" platform.)

The map is pretty easy once you know its tricks.

Hey Clippy, fun map. Didn't find it too hard on UV once I got to the 2nd weapon choice. Like @Gez said, once you know what's up with the teleports it's not too hard. I was curious how well this gimmick would work and I think you pulled it off well here. Visuals look better here than the last one too, so well done there.

You can SR50 into the soulsphere + blue armour secret, though you lose out on the chained secret from the switch behind the lift unless you know it's there, so maybe not a big deal.

IDK if you're interested in making this map work with other ports, if you were it's probably not too hard. Mostly just need tags on all the linedefs, and the sky would look worse. NBD if not, looks like this one got some good interest anyhow.

BTW what's the music? Sounds like a MIDI file but surprisingly it was an mp3.

@plums music was cry of desperation for plutonia map 31 it's like my favorite music ever

I have too hard of a time trying to make maps compatible with anything besides gzDoom so I'm just going to stick with that to prevent giving myself a headache haha. 

I'm glad you like the map it was a pretty wacky concept and I wasn't sure how it would work 

Also the original secret was intended to do that special maneuver but I thought maybe it's too hard so I'm giving players both options. The switch to the other secret was something I added in Post release