Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CBM

doom movies

what do people think of the doom movies?

the term loosly based on doom 3 seems accurate

Edited by CBM

4 hours ago, CBM said:

what do people think of the doom movies?

the term loosly based on doom 3 seems accurate

I won’t lie I LOVE the 2005 Doom movie. To me it was just so cool to see Doom on the big screen, even if it was loosely based on Doom 3. I liked the movie so much I read the Novel adaption which added more backstory to the characters and a really trippy part where Reaper goes through the Ark and is talking to all the dead marines. I think the movie does get too much hate and I would have loved a sequel.

Annihilation is a very tough movie to really get my feelings of it on. It feels a LITTLE closer to the games, but somehow it does everything worse!!! The effects are horrible, the acting is pretty bad, there’s nothing too memorable about it and still it’s biggest mistake if you ask me was again being loosely based on Doom 3. Hell there’s even a character named Dr.Betruger.

The only good things I can say about the movie is Hell was in it even if it was there for like almost 3 minutes maybe. The back story to the main character is actually Doom Guy’s backstory, there were imps throwing fireballs and the ship’s computer was named Daisy.

I hope honestly after Annihilation they stop though. I didn’t really want another Doom movie after the 2005 movie, but I’m not surprised we ended up getting one.

I mostly agree but I would have loved a bigger dosis of doom in the 2005 movie

While I haven't seen either yet, I have seen reviews of both and can conclude this.

Doom 3 movie:

Cheesy but charming in a way.

Tries its best to stay connected to the game.

More on the "so bad it's good" side of the spectrum.

A novelty more than anything.

Doom Annihilation:

Cash grab based on success of Doom 2016.

Tries too hard to stay connected to the game resulting in stupid scenes.

Another movie trying to rip off the Alien trope.

More on the "so bad that it's just bad" side of the spectrum.

Over all I'd like to watch the Doom 3 movie at some point. I've always been a fan of weird and cheesy reimaginings of games or book, if only to see how they turned out. The newer movie doesn't seem to be worth my time at all on the other hand. Just another movie that'll go down in the "Movies based on games that fans try to forget about" list. Not really sure how they can make a game based on Doom if I'm being honest. If you lean towards the violence and action of Doom, then you're left with a long and boring film with nothing but blood and guts. If you focus on story, then you'll be straying away from the games too much and make the fans feel like it's unfaithful to the series. Doom 2016 strikes a balance of providing just enough story to make players feel like they're doing something without just running through rooms with demons. Striking this kind of balance in film form just seems nearly impossible, and we can only hope someone can hit it.

1 hour ago, N1ck said:

Not really sure how they can make a game based on Doom if I'm being honest. If you lean towards the violence and action of Doom, then you're left with a long and boring film with nothing but blood and guts. If you focus on story, then you'll be straying away from the games too much and make the fans feel like it's unfaithful to the series.

Given how much they expanded on Doom's story and lore in Doom Eternal with plenty of room to expand further, I don't see why they couldn't utilise that narrative into a movie form. 4 years ago, I would've agreed with you, but there's a lot more an enterprising filmmaker could play around with now.

I quite like the DooM movie (the one with The Rock) and always thought the 1st person segment is one of the most creative and coolest thing I’ve seen :-D I didn’t know there was a whole community hatting on it till years latter and never really understood why :-P

Haven’t seen the new one (Doom Annihilation) but from everything I’ve heard, it is hot garbage. I mean, even the Id guys distanced themselves from it :-P If it ever ends up on Netflix and we end up locked down again I might give it a watch though:-P

Predictably, people are starting to favor the original movie over Annihilation and become nostalgic for it, as it's the fate of most things.

Annihilation is a better movie insofar as at least it tries to stay connected to Doom, but with a nonexistent budget it simply fell flat. People love giving it shit for being a cynical cash grab but at least it tried, despite not doing a great job due to its financial difficulties.

The original movie had its good parts, but it wasn't good, and was a far cry from the original games, with a braindead story and premise. Annihilation was at least better written.

3 hours ago, DooM Bear said:

I quite like the DooM movie (the one with The Rock) and always thought the 1st person segment is one of the most creative and coolest thing I’ve seen :-D

If you enjoyed that, then you will enjoy this. The whole movie is in first person. Despite it low budget, it definitely convinces. Good action flick. Plus it has Sharlto Copley from Chappie.

I watched the 2005 Doom movie last night. I may have seen it before but cannot recall, as its not a very memorable film. I did not like that they changed the back-story - not a bad thing in itself - but that the alternate story given is dull and uncreative.

I was also disappointed there was not more monster action. I expected way more encounters. I stopped the film three-quarters of the way to watch some Doom II gameplay videos on YouTube instead, feeling the need to supplement the lack of action in the movie, just to give me a motivation to try and finish the damn thing.

I like gratuitous action just as much as the next person, but this movie is a let-down. I will probably watch it again in ten years, having forgotten that I watched it before, and sit through all 104 painful minutes of it - again.

On 10/27/2020 at 6:25 AM, N1ck said:

Another movie trying to rip off the Alien trope.

If you're making a movie about Doom, you're damn near married to ripping off Aliens, because the original idea back in the day was the iD guys combining two of their favorite movies, Evil Dead 2 and Aliens, then building a premise from there.

Anyway, I think the first one has some glimmers of fun and cool action (the first person segment stands out), but it largely isn't a satisfying movie. I haven't seen the second one, but it doesn't sound or look like it is either.

In my opinion, the best Doom movie is Ghosts Of Mars