Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roebloz

I found my dad's 1994 WAD

How did you open the floppy disk ? Do you just happen to have an old computer with a slot for floppies or did you get external floppy disc reader ?
Very nice find anyhow. My parents were too old for doom when it came out xP My cousin, however, played quake when it came out, so maybe he has some doom stuff on his old computer...

3 hours ago, Roebloz said:

He's in his 40s and I'm 16. (Main reason why I haven't played Eternal yet in fact :p)

Damn I Feel old now. Im pushing 41.

48 minutes ago, Trupiak said:

How did you open the floppy disk ? Do you just happen to have an old computer with a slot for floppies or did you get external floppy disc reader ?
Very nice find anyhow. My parents were too old for doom when it came out xP My cousin, however, played quake when it came out, so maybe he has some doom stuff on his old computer...

I do have an external floppy reader however I just borrowed it.

1 hour ago, Oldschoolgeek32 said:

A truly interesting and great find! :) 

Indeed. Also for those that wonder what Badv means I think its short for Ben's Adventure.

57 minutes ago, Roebloz said:

Ah okay. Well you're not that old.

thanks LOL

WOW I did not expect so much attention. I will be fixing the WAD's bugs and release it to idgames.

Did a fun short commentary playthough of your Dad's wad using deathz0r's OMG Weapons! (and Monsters) mod on Zdoom for funs :)

For maps that were made in May of 1994, these are decently good at that time before better editors & people got better at mapping before Doom 2 came out later that year. 

3 hours ago, Roebloz said:

WOW I did not expect so much attention. I will be fixing the WAD's bugs and release it to idgames.

Make a new copy of it though! don't edit the original WAD. (for archival purposes.)

Would also suggest adding both files to the zip. (edited and unedited wads) 

50 minutes ago, Dylan Omen said:

Make a new copy of it though! don't edit the original WAD. (for archival purposes.)

Seconded this.

4 hours ago, Roebloz said:

I would not fix the bugs! Keep them as is, the whole point of it is that it's a 90s relic :)

Fuck it.

If this comment gets two invulnerability likes I will remake this guy's dad's wad in UDMF format.

That'll make an interesting story to tell your dad.

EDIT: Cool I know what I'm doing tomorrow

Edited by HQDefault

6 hours ago, Dylan Omen said:

That was my plan, and I am keeping the original little floppy

8 hours ago, Philnemba said:

Did a fun short commentary playthough of your Dad's wad using deathz0r's OMG Weapons! (and Monsters) mod on Zdoom for funs :)

For maps that were made in May of 1994, these are decently good at that time before better editors & people got better at mapping before Doom 2 came out later that year. 

Nice playthrough :) And yeah from what I've seen its a pretty decent WAD for the time.

7 hours ago, HQDefault said:

Fuck it.

If this comment gets two invulnerability likes I will remake this guy's dad's wad in UDMF format.

Go for it, but send me the files so I can upload it to idgames, along with the original (I will credit you of course)

Dad's 1994 WAD

Ultra-Violence mode || GZDoom || Ang_Doom || No Damage

Note: The maps are really short and with an extremely simple structure, so I only focus on the difficulty that each map represents.

E1M1:

*Deaths: 0

*Saves: none

Screenshot-Doom-20201028-104730.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201028-104751.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201028-104801.png

A really short, fast map, without many obstacles and extremely linear, the enemies are quick to finish, with the shotgun you can clean the initial area that has simple enemies, when you arrive with the Cacodemon you will see a Chaingun, which when you grab it, it will do that the rest of the levels are even easier to finish, in addition, in the last part of this map, I liked the small path that is surrounded by toxic green liquid, it was really a good detail to add so as not to see the level very simple in general.

E1M2:

Screenshot-Doom-20201028-104941.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201028-104953.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201028-104842.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201028-105006.png

Really simple map, without much decoration, apart from the big red letters found in one of the rooms of the place, the enemies present here only consist of Hitscanners, Imps and Pinkys, nothing out of the ordinary, and with the weapons already obtained above, the map clears in seconds.

E1M3:

Screenshot-Doom-20201028-105112.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201028-105136.png

The simplest map that I have come across, but it is also the map with a really interesting difficulty, I mean, placing two barons of hell, in a very small area, is a problem, without taking into account the Lost Soul who was in front of the Barons, at first I thought I was going to lose here, because I had both barons very close to me, until I saw that both had moved to the sides, allowing me to get out of that narrow path and then fight them in the open space Without touching the teleporter that sends you to the next level, after a few seconds, I managed to kill both barons without much problem, grabbing the teleporter backpack and ending the level.

E1M4:

Screenshot-Doom-20201028-105203.png

THE END

Edited by ElPadrecitoCholo

On 10/28/2020 at 1:10 AM, HQDefault said:

Fuck it.

I am a man of my word 

I will shortly upload this to idgames because I finally finished setting up my new computer.

On 10/26/2020 at 8:44 PM, Egg Boy said:

Wow, that's pretty neat, its nothing crazy unique or different for the time, but it makes me wonder how many masterpieces we've lost because no one ever bothered to post them.

Same with me. I've made lots of maps dating backing to late 90s, and still haven't posted a single one. I've lost some too due to file corruption or deletion and now are just vague memories in my head.

I just recently discovered I had an account for this page almost 20 years later. lol

On 1/5/2021 at 5:42 PM, JamesBone said:

I just recently discovered I had an account for this page almost 20 years later. lol

Hah that's funny.

Me and @Roebloz have finished remastering this small PWAD I made back in the day. I'm really surprised that my WAD got this much attention. She will be releasing it along with the original WAD I made almost 30 years ago on the idgames archive. (I had thought of uploading the WAD to some BBS sites but I never actually did it. Apologies.)

Here is some screenshots of the remastered level made through that Chocolate Doom source port.

recognize1.PNG

recognize2.PNG

recognize3.PNG

recognize4.PNG