Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smeghammer

"Crush Depth" - Beta release

** Edit  3 **

It's now a beta release. Thanks to @ElPadrecitoCholo and @Soulless for playing and giving feedback.

** Edit 2 **

Play notes:

- GZDoom 4.4

- freelook recommended

- As deep liquid, swimming recommended (you'll drown otherwise...)

** Edit **

Updated lighting in yellow key area. Neat reveal lighting on opening door!

Alpha release. All keys and traps built now. It *should* all hang together. 

** End **

** Tested in GZDoom 4.4.x **

A work in progress Hexen format thing with central theme as randomly moving platforms in slime. 

I wanted to do another map with a bit of scripting in, and I wanted to make the script more efficient. The 81 platforms are driven by about a dozen lines of code, which is nice.

Also been playing with untextured 3D sectors to do vertical lighting and shadow - seems to have worked:

Spoiler

15%20(1).png

and

15%20(2).png

I also used stacked 3D sectors without textures (apart from the top one) to do the fading depth and depth dependent damage for the slime.

Early days yet, but have 2 out of three keys done and some monster/thing placement done.

Here are a few more screenies:

Spoiler

3.png

4.png

13.png

Check it out here.

More to come...

Edited by smeghammer

@ElPadrecitoCholo, thanks for giving it a try. It is in progress and will be in a finishable state probably this week. Just sorting the exit and key switches etc. Difficult with a family and kids on half-term...

4 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

@ElPadrecitoCholo, thanks for giving it a try. It is in progress and will be in a finishable state probably this week. Just sorting the exit and key switches etc. Difficult with a family and kids on half-term...

@smeghammer I totally understand, I will be patient until you bring the finalized version of your map, partner, by the way, one last little thing, as I saw, the map has no secrets, but at the beginning, when you walk back and grab the shotgun, you see a teleporter unused, and in front of this, you see a strange wall that when shot, raises a secret door that reveals more shotgun ammunition, which left me a bit confused, was it the prototype for a future secret room that you were going to add to map?

1 hour ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

was it the prototype for a future secret room that you were going to add to map

Indeedy! Yes there are several places that I will turn into secrets, and I will probably add more. Also, I'll update the thread title to emphasize that this is a work in progress.

OK finished the exit area logic. Need to add decent lighting and the actual yellow key. Getting there...

Spoiler

exit%20(2).png

exit%20(3).png

exit%20(1).png

8 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

OK finished the exit area logic. Need to add decent lighting and the actual yellow key. Getting there...

Hide contents

exit%20(2).png

exit%20(3).png

exit%20(1).png

That is very good, now there is a purpose to collect the keys from those areas.

Pinging @Soulless and @ElPadrecitoCholo. Alpha release, all keys and traps should now work. I might extend the second part of the yellow trap to include a monster closet on the other side. You will see what I mean.

I've got a bit play-blind so I'd really appreciate fresh eyes on this, so any feedback would be most welcome.

Hmmm.... Found a bug. Some of the main platforms sometimes seem to stop moving after a while. Possibly related to some of the imps being killed. No idea actually... The code looks to be OK in that it doesn't set the moving speed to zero. Fairly sure there is no issue with tags on the sectors either.

It seems that one of the three exit platforms is also triggered to rise and fall. Not quite sure how, but that seems to be screwing it up somehow.

Let me know if you see the same thing.

Edited by smeghammer

OK its because imps get stuck between rising and falling plats. Because several plats share a tag, they all stop.... Time to look at block monsters or crush damage.

Go for it. Any feedback welcome of course.

The bug you will likely come across is the platforms getting stuck. The imps can get wedged between adjacent platforms. Need to figure out a way to prevent this (block monster lines?, add a scripted crush logic?). For now, manually killing them sorts it out. 

3 minutes ago, Soulless said:

It works nicely! The new "lava trap" is great, I was so close to fall down!

Nice one! Glad you like it. I have a minor fix that stops the platform blocking, but that doesn't affect much except the platform imp fight.

Crush Depth

Ultra-Violence mode || GZDoom || EVP

*Deaths: 0

*Saves: none

Screenshot-Doom-20201101-211913.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201101-211904.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201101-212000.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201101-212148.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201101-212154.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201101-212304.png

As in its release date, the map preserves what is very good architecture, I really liked what you have done with the structure of the place, preserving some things and improving others, such as the room that has the yellow key for example, everything really that I found very cool and impressive. With the difficulty it does not fail either, since being up and down, killing Imps as if this were a fair game was fun, although a bit annoying, like shooting a duck in constant movement, and at the entrances of the 3 keys also have a good difficulty, with the acquired weapons they are no longer a problem on a large scale, which is much appreciated.

I had a great time on this map, it was really fun and entertaining, although a pity I did not find the last remaining enemies on the map, I had a great time finding all the secrets and items that there were, very good work here partner.

@ElPadrecitoCholo, thanks for playing - glad you liked it :-). Very much appreciate the feedback.

6 hours ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

like shooting a duck in constant movement

Yeah, it is like a fairground game isn't it. This whole level was originally just a test to see if I could do an efficient ACS script to drive the platforms, as I noted in the OP. I was pleased with the effect so I added the playable bits.

If you liked this, I have another project that you might like. It's an in-progress miniwad called Hellbreach, which I started in March when lockdown happened. It was the first Doom map/project in about 25 years, so the first level is sort-of basic... The others are essentially me learning to map.

Three maps are done and the fourth map, which is still in progress, is another scripty/puzzle-based type thing (again, based on an idea about script-driven randomised teleport destinations). I will go back to this one now, probably when the kids go back to school after half-term later in the week.

(btw, I am in the process of moving the maps to a different host, so the links in my posts might be temporarily broken - they'll all get corrected though.)

@smeghammer Thank you very much for the recognition of the post that I dedicate to your map, partner, of course I would be interested in trying the other one that you have recommended, and yes, it seemed a lot like a fair game, like "Mario Party" to be exact, haha , but yes, it was really great, and to be a test, I don't look so bad, I really will wait for your other projects that you get to have in the future, partner