Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Robot J

Your greatest achievement?

What was your greatest achievement ever. Doesn’t matter what it’s related to. Doom, Speedrunning, Sports, Etc. Mine would be my DM Mappack since it’s actually going pretty good albeit it’s on pause. What is yours? I would love to hear them

Graduating recording school with a 4.0 GPA in my early 30s and landing a steady job in the music industry a month after graduating. I don't work at the same place now due to current world events, but the connections I made along the way have helped to sustain a career doing what I love.

I barely got by in high school, had already dropped out of college once, and resented the idea of paying more than I could ever earn to go back to school. I used to have a bad problem about not finishing what I started. But after hitting a particularly low point in life I decided to act without thinking and worry about the consequences later, just taking everything one step at a time. Sure I'm in debt for the rest of my life, but looking back, the feeling of accomplishment is greater than anything I've done before. It's only an associates degree, but that doesn't change the fact that I overcame a great obstacle, faced my fears, gave my best attempt at something and succeeded.

I never thought in a million years I'd be so proud of earning a damn piece of paper with my name on it, but it somehow gave me the courage to put my all into everything I do and fully commit to any task until it's finished, or recognize when and how to switch gears if it's not working out. It's almost like I went to see the wizard of Oz.

Anyway, thanks for letting me get real for a second.

Probably being in the credits of Terraria and in a couple of Doom wads here and there. I'm otherwise a classic loser that'll be forgotten in time :D

Rescued a kitty that was abandoned at an old derelict hotel that was cordoned off due to asbestos and toxic mold. Got a big ass ladder from a nearby business I knew and a customer lady helped steady it for me while I lured it close to an opening in the wall on the second storey from which I could hear it crying by using chicken from a local cafe. And customer lady adopted him. Soon as the adrenaline subsided and I realized just how high up I was my hands started shaking like a big wuss.

I could mention others that I am equally proud of but don't want sound like an egotistical ass. This one was adorable at least.

Probably NOT having great achievements.

I'm an aggressively average person.

I have to admit, I feel along the same lines as seed. I got a degree when everybody was getting one, and I never make use of it. I've held various jobs and passed a range of courses and training things, but none of that seems to make much of a difference. I guess I'll have to take pride in my hobbies and interests instead, so we'll say releasing a full 32-map megaWAD is my biggest achievement. Second place is probably buying a dream (or "goal", if you will) car of mine - the Subaru Impreza WRX. It's a limited edition variant (GB270) that is probably a little easier to live with than an STi one would be, and probably has a little more in the way of mod cons, in exchange for not quite being as sporty.

Not sure what the big goal for the future would be. Being able to afford to buy a house or flat in the bullshit British housing market would be a big deal, so maybe that?

Edited by Phobus

I beat Halo Reach on Legendary? It's hard to say what my best gaming achievement is. It might be that. I beat doom 1 and 2 on the hardest (non nightmare) brutal doom difficulty, I forget what it's called. "Realistic Ultra Violence" or something?

Edited by EtherBot

I cannot really think of any achievements I could have done since the feeling of proudness is still hard for me to perceive at all on whatever I do.

12 minutes ago, DesecratorJ said:

I cannot really think of any achievements I could have done since the feeling of proudness is still hard for me to perceive at all on whatever I do.

Yeah same here, I am self-critical to an unhealthy degree.

Every time I feel proud about something, I immediately start noticing problems, and if I don't then someone else, and I go from "Man, I did a really f*cking excellent job here" to "This is an utter piece of WORTHLESS JUNK".

But it can't really be any different, sadly, after a life of telling that I suck at everything and am insufficient. Good news, however, is that over the last couple of months I've made some major improvements in my thinking overall, and I've not found myself in episodes of boiling in self-hatred since 1.0 .

53 minutes ago, seed said:

Yeah same here, I am self-critical to an unhealthy degree.

Every time I feel proud about something, I immediately start noticing problems, and if I don't then someone else, and I go from "Man, I did a really f*cking excellent job here" to "This is an utter piece of WORTHLESS JUNK".

But it can't really be any different, sadly, after a life of telling that I suck at everything and am insufficient. Good news, however, is that over the last couple of months I've made some major improvements in my thinking overall, and I've not found myself in episodes of boiling in self-hatred since 1.0 .

Yep, pretty much the same thing I would say. In my case, once I manage to complete or do something, I might feel happy about it for a couple of minutes, or maybe an hour if it really made me happy at the moment. Afterwards, I just end up being like "meh, whatever".

I don't think I ever bothered feeling self-hatred... I'm just like, it is what it is. Unless I did something fucking dumb that makes me thought i'm stupid, but again, it just ends up being whatever...

I probably don't care enough about things overall? I don't know man.

https://www.deviantart.com/hybridial/art/Devilman-Lady-Chapter-9-first-draft-856792235

I think individually just as a piece of writing this is the best thing I've done to date, regardless of the context of what it is or what it relates to. And it was also a good example of a very difficult creation process because it started out with a different premise and then changed mid writing more than once, and I felt completely lost and considered scrapping it, but in the end, I think it was a real step up in quality in terms of things I've written,  That journey however is always up a mountain with no summit. But I think here the pacing is strong, every scene has a very deliberate purpose, it manages to twist in different directions so the reader is till the end not easilly able to predict what is happening, it goes deep into the protagonist' psychology which is hitting the goal; the Devilman Lady anime summed up really bluntly is that it is a retelling of Devilman, mostly the plot is pretty similar, the key difference is it makes a character study of the protagonist and it spends a lot of its time on that and that's a big reason why I like it so much and why it endlessly fascinates me. 

If anyone's curious and willing to give it time to read, I'd be very appreciative. I have had people read it who haven't read earlier chapters nor know much about the source other than its premise and they were still able to follow it from what they told me pretty well and judge it as a stand alone piece. Any critique's always welcome. 

I can’t have but think of this damn video every time I hear “my greatest achievement” now..

I’ve done a lot of interesting things in my life, been to many different places around the world, but I really don’t think of them as “achievements”. I guess getting married could be considered, even if it only lasted 5 years. I played some live concerts in front of 100-200 people about a dozen times or so back when I was in TheDevilzWork so that was cool I guess. I’ve made some videos on YT that have gotten decent views, that always feels nice. Not really sure what I’d pick, I don’t really weigh these things against each other, I consider them more as experiences than achievements, even though they sound less triumphant that way.

here's a couple ones I'm proud of:

Spoiler

IWIN.png.e9816f30fc0d1bc404e5f349ca2874fb.png

Serious Sam: The First Encounter - I managed to complete TFE in one continuous run without a break and completing each map under their par times.

swaggie.png.e7a581e29da4de73844f2d3ebb048f3e.png

Postal 2: Yes. You read both of those correctly. I finished Postal 2 pacifist and accidentally completed it under 1h30m... even I was shocked when I saw this. O_o

20201026095134_1.jpg.a5824dfcf28e8cc64cb8427afe6a7444.jpg

Muse Dash: This A-Ranking was a PAIN for me to get as not only was this an FC (Full Combo) run, it was also played on master difficulty... Jesus this took me forever to do. @_@

Ending in the 3rd position at a national competition (archery). I also broke my PB by 37 points this day. It was 2 years ago. Last year I couldn't participate, I broke a rib diving on the ground during a game. And this year, no championships because of covid. Hope I'll do it again in 2021.

Being Where I am Today

despite having various illnesses and a Very bad childhood in Many ways

acquiring some proficiency in Japanese, entirely self-taught.

getting into graduate study.

being a massive autodidact and knowing about lots of stuff

as silly as it sounds, recently finishing the Hexen walkthrough content on the doom wiki (as well as other vidya related things)

but my main achievement is still forthcoming. it's been long delayed due to life disruption that happened years ago, but it'll get there. I won't say what it is just yet, but it's tangential to the above.

7 hours ago, Robot J said:

What was your greatest achievement ever. Doesn’t matter what it’s related to. Doom, Speedrunning, Sports, Etc. Mine would be my DM Mappack since it’s actually going pretty good albeit it’s on pause. What is yours? I would love to hear them

my greatest achievement(s) are: 1) being the school technician for 3 years and 2) the realization of a game with a team (you should know since you are involved in lol) 3) being the covid tech assistant this and last year in my school
honorable mentions being able to get a platinum in lego batman and do Doom shareware on nightmare! at school

At work each week, we are given two fruit & veggie items to "speed up" the sale. They have full prices.

So, basically my coworker who is in charge of the fruit & veggie section, was on a summer vacation. I took over his position for two weeks.

In order to speed up the sale, we need to expand these two items any way possible, so that it brings attention to the customers.

I did my best to make sure that those sales were as big as possible for those two weeks.

- Make sure it's fresh or at least looks fresh

- If it's an item you can cut in half, cut it as much as possible. Not all customers want an entire melon or cabbage for example.

- Make sure it doesn't have dirt in it (watermelons usually do)

- If customers see the items at the entrance to fruit & veggie section, there is a higher chance for them to purchase it.

So, I got results at the start of the new week & my hypermarket (in my town) was number one in the entire country (out of more than 100 stores of the same brand) to sell the most of those four items we were given those two weeks I was in charge with.

Needless to say, it was one of the greatest feeling I've had. Still proud of that.

As for gaming, I think Serious Sam Revolution 'Sam I am' achievement is something I felt so good getting it after near 2 month grind. 100,001 kills might look fast to get in a Sam game but it's not.

Had to replay SSR on Serious difficulty about 7 times.

I dunno. Maybe being born? Thought that may have been my greatest mistake.

I did come in third place in a Super Mario Bros 3 contest when I was a kid. I still have the trophy and I bought a stuffed dog using my prize money.

At this point of my life, probably passing as neurotypical, and also being one of two co-valedictorians with a 4.0 in high school.

Also completed Postal 2 on Impossible without taking any damage about three years ago. That took weeks.

Killing my first enemy in E1M1 in Doom (1993). Thats were basically it all started :) A truly simple yet memorable moment that got me hooked into Doom forever :) 

One time my psychology teacher gave my friend a green bell pepper, he later took a bite out of it in philosophy class,he was kicked out after that.

This is not a joke btw it actually  just happened a few hours ago.

Meeting my girlfriend, having the guts to invite her to a date, and after that she made me realize that i'm better human being than i always thought. So i'm veey grateful to the univers for this love.

I always felt like Wreck-It Ralph, and now, seriously, how bad can i be if that sweet girl loves me?

Also, thanks to her i found my own dream, and just walking slowly but surely in it direction made me feel good every day.