• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJVCardMaster

Your choice for GOTY

Your choice for GOTY  

55 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which game is the Game of the Year 2020?

• Half Life: Alyx
    • Doom Eternal
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
    • The Last of Us 2
    • Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
    • Ghost of Tsushima
    • Genshin Impact
    • Watch Dogs: Legion
    • Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
    • Another one (Discuss in thread)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/09/20 at 03:37 AM

I really liked Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2, played it more than anything else released this year.

Doom Eternal could be a close second, though the only way I could play it without rolling my eyes too much was to turn the dialogue off and the music up, and even then the amount of upgrades and collectibles wore me out. The core gameplay was really fun and I really liked most of the environments, and with no dialogue the atmosphere was almost palpable.

In terms of roguelikes both Hades and Risk of Rain 2 got full releases this year and both are fantastic.

Deep Rock Galactic also got its full release this year and im enjoying the Mafia Remake, if i had to choose 1 game from the poll though it would be Doom Eternal.

Edited by vinnie245

On 10/31/2020 at 9:54 PM, Doominator2 said:

How can a game that hasn't come out yet be GOTY?

'Cuz these awards live and die by hype. Wish gaming had something like the Oscars -- a place to find the best and not necessarily the most popular.

6 hours ago, Antkibo said:

'Cuz these awards live and die by hype. Wish gaming had something like the Oscars -- a place to find the best and not necessarily the most popular.

Then you're not wanting the gaming equivalent of the Oscars either because that's merely another kind of popularity contest.

I don't think something like that is needed anyway, if you really want to find things you've got to actually do the searching yourself, it's more rewarding that way anyway. 

2 hours ago, hybridial said:

Then you're not wanting the gaming equivalent of the Oscars either because that's merely another kind of popularity contest.

I don't think something like that is needed anyway, if you really want to find things you've got to actually do the searching yourself, it's more rewarding that way anyway. 

Look at the poll; AC: Valhalla hasn't even been released, neither C77, yet people in the media are claiming GOTY. That doesn't happen with the Oscars, ever. I don't watch movies too much, maybe you do, so they always introduce me to titles I haven't seen before, even some foreign ones.

Oscars treat movies as an art form: it doesn't matter from which country it came from nor if the production value is up in the skies. You don't see titles from the MCU winning Best Movie. Best Indie of the Year is a better award in that aspect.

20 hours ago, hybridial said:

Indeed, but also a lot more frustrating.

It makes me lose motivation for some things honestly, like, recently searching for new bands, and I found fewer than the days I spent searching and listening :( . It doesn't help that you're going to end up giving some of them multiple tries if the quality eludes you at first...

My honest opinion is the following.

I've seen an entire playthrough of Ghost of Tsushima from a female YTber called Gab Smolders and I can say from an overall perspective that it's easily a GOTY. 

It has all the necessary conditions to be the winner, at least from several points, like story, ambience and other technical features.

Now, Doom Eternal....I hope that I play the game soon but, it's a strong candidate to be GOTY and, I'd be satisfied enough if this game or GoT wins. I mean, DE has it all too....fun moments with large adrenaline doses, nonstop gameplay, story that makes people talk about it for weeks....obviously the community that helps the game to stay strong....

Lastly but not least, I'm playing this recent money-successful game called Genshin Impact. Personally, it's a good game but I don't think it deserves the maximum prize. Maybe some minor nominations but not to be GOTY.

About the other games on the list, I can't comment those because I haven't seen or play them. Only heard by name....

On 11/2/2020 at 10:17 PM, Lippeth said:

I really liked Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2, played it more than anything else released this year.

Crazy how both my GOTY for 1999 and 2000 are still strong contenders for GOTY in 2020, 20 years later. Tony Hawk games are that fucking good

Animal Crossing was the only thing between me and complete madness last March, I can't not vote for it.

I'd love if Doom Eternal wins the award but there's an evil part of me who'd love to see TLOU 2 win it to see the shit-storm on Reddit and 4chan.

At the end of the day I really don't care about awards tho.

Reviving this thread again to rant about The Last of Us 2.

Aparently at the top of the charts, wtf?

Also no Half Life: Alyx

Press wins again?