Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
holaareola

Amazing texture pack - Makkon

Love this guy's work, I've seen a fair bit of it on twitter. Plus he's doing textures for the upcoming Graven, which I'm really pumped for!

these textures are so slick, it would be awesome to see more of them in doom!

fyi there are some updates to the pack beyond the tweet in the OP above. makkon1.wad itself has been updated, and there's a new makkon2.wad that has nice brand new textures too. see this twitter thread for download links:

apparently Makkon posts updates to the pack in the Quake mapping discord (in the resources channel) here: https://discord.com/invite/R3gypt

edit: also, for anyone looking for inspiration, the new Quake Halloween Jam 3 has a few maps (including one by Makkon himself) using the textures and the maps are absolutely gorgeous

Edited by Tango

Wow these are great! I reckon eviternity's liquids may work really well with these, I'll have to do some mixing, matching, and palette swapping.

On 11/1/2020 at 4:34 AM, Tango said:

these textures are so slick, it would be awesome to see more of them in doom!

fyi there are some updates to the pack beyond the tweet in the OP above. makkon1.wad itself has been updated, and there's a new makkon2.wad that has nice brand new textures too. see this twitter thread for download links:

apparently Makkon posts updates to the pack in the Quake mapping discord (in the resources channel) here: https://discord.com/invite/R3gypt

edit: also, for anyone looking for inspiration, the new Quake Halloween Jam 3 has a few maps (including one by Makkon himself) using the textures and the maps are absolutely gorgeous

Excellent, thanks for that, I hadn't seen the new packs. OP updated.

Man, the first shot you linked is awesome. Love the purple hue and the wood propped on rock combination and those wood textures look deliciously painterly. The Quake community's creating some utterly fantastic stuff at the moment, seems small but ultra-talented.

Anyway, I find repetitive, mindless work oddly therapeutic (perversely only when I'm not getting paid for it, hahah), so I'll start putting together a Doom palettised wad of these over the next couple of weeks for people to use. The mod I'm working on has a customised palette or I'd have shared the conversions I've already done.  

Woah, I just had a look in and there are 770 raw textures total between the two packs. A lot of them are colour variations, some groups of which can be ruled out as they won't convert well to the Doom palette, then there are others where I suspect the detail is too high to survive the downscale. I'm on holiday and not on the computer much atm, but back next week, maybe a way to split the work could be found and creating a wad for the community could be done collaboratively rather than duplicating conversion? Could be as simple as creating two shared folders on Google drive, an input folder containing the raw files and an output folder containing the wad and the texture conversions. After discussing naming conventions and processes (e.g. some of the more detailed cliff textures are shite at 128x128, but do work at 256x256 when converted to two 256x128 textures, one top, one bottom for use with 0-height sectors to fake tall textures in vanilla).

Edited by holaareola

I tried converting a lot of the stuff from the Quake .wad for more practical (and non-UMDF) use in Doom (by which i mean converting palettes, making flats, and generally making the textures more usable on their own rather than having to align them to a certain part for what you want), since i got really interested in experimenting with it after seeing what stunning work Tango has made with it, but unfortunately my hardware doesn't like it when Slade tries converting the palettes of over 800 textures (it straight up crashes instantly) so i can't really work with them in a versatile way that, say, OTEX allows for. I'd LOVE if someone could compile something like this (if the author would even allow such a thing, which i didn't consider up until now), but otherwise i'm just excited to see Doom maps made with it.