Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

The DWMiniwad Club Plays: [various things]

Steep Town

The title is not coy. Steep Town is both really steep and really town. 

...time to hire new writers.

Okay... after a fun ascent that has resonances of Dead Simple -- a spider "mini-boss" in one arena fight and a crew of mancubi in another -- you're flung into the bustle of downtown. Above loom skyscrapers as tall as any in the Doom engine. There are no cars hurtling around (I can't imagine insurance would be all that affordable with that giant pit in the center). Making up for it is air traffic: many cacodemons (window cleaning must be cheap though), and projectiles of every type, including cyb rockets. 

qAMkiPQ.png

This city is a melting pot, with almost every monster in the mix. I like to get the cyberdemon trained on the crowds (strategy: exist), and then make my way into some of the buildings and explore back alleys while it is busy mooing. There, you can pick up weapons like a plasma rifle and gear up on armor, and come back out and elect yourself mayor. Half of the map's near-400 monsters are likely to fall in the first few minutes. 

From there, the action unfolds largely indoors. Track down the red key and this super high switch, in your order of preference. Inside, the author Rottking, who you might know from Double Impact and BTSX, shows a strong feel for pace and variety; no string of consecutive fights emphasizes one monster type or one scenario repeatedly. Bigger brawls are contrasted by moments where you kill, like, one zombieman. Everything feels thought out without being overextended. I was pretty delighted by a pincer where two doors are flung open on opposite sides of a small elevator room, an archvile behind one, a mob of pinkies behind another -- a real panicky "pick your poison" setup. The outdoors, with their breathtaking scale, are definitely the most memorable part of Steep Town's look, but the interiors are stylish too.

sDq0YZD.png QDxORJ2.png

Make your way to the end and get your reward. How nice of them to provide this big cache of supplies before absolutely no fighting happens and you exit /s.

Really good map.

Edited by ‹rd›

Steep Town

Ultra-Violence mode || GZDoom || Doom64

*Deaths: 0

*Saves: none

Screenshot-Doom-20201030-183940.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201030-184043.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201030-184000.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201030-184102.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201030-184151.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201030-184211.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201030-184227.png

A really interesting wad, the architecture with which it is composed is really incredible, I mean, large buildings, constructions that looked good, a demolition at the beginning of the map, which reminds me a lot of what happens in Duke Nukem 3D, and the interior of the places were extremely cool, wanting to assimilate buildings and structures similar to those in real life, everything really seemed great, including that mysterious room with quite a bit of darkness.

Now the difficulty that this wad has is because of what makes it stand out, it has quite a few enemies, appearing all of the Doom II, except for the Spider MasterMind, otherwise, we have all the normal enemies, and one of the bosses of the original game, so, how was the reception that all those demons gave me when I arrived with them? Very simple, a creepy hail of bullets as if instead of playing an FPS, I was playing some kind of Bullet Hell in the first person... I fully understand that there are areas to cover you from the attacks of several of the monsters present outside, but being frank, it is very difficult to keep yourself safe when you have several Revenant missiles aimed at the marine, not to mention the attacks of the Arachnatrons and also of the Cyberdemon missiles, but this is only on the outside, and what about the inside of the places?... well, the inside of each place is not that you will be very fond of, the truth is that it is a horror to be killing demons in small spaces, and in other areas there are quite a few Hitscanners or strong and resistant enemies that use a lot of ammunition, which is quite bad if we take into account that we are hardly doing our best to have the better weapons for combat, but hey, at the end of the day it was finally possible to finish off all those monsters in the entire Wad, even from the fucking surprise of the red keyed door that showed many Revenants and an Archvile, and even after that , to a Hell Knight, but in general, I had a great time, despite the difficulties I had in some parts, in the end everything went well, at least I survived all that catastrophe that undoubtedly caused many economic expenses in the repair of the entire city.

Concrete Rage

Ultra-Violence mode || GZDoom || EVP

*UPGRADE

Screenshot-Doom-20201102-120926.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201102-120934.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201102-120941.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201102-120947.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201102-121001.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201102-121016.png

This map was quite interesting to me, it seems that the marine is in a place that looks like a strange building in full construction, or in a factory that is just being built, I really do not have a correct concept for the structure presented here, although something is true, the architecture used in this map I liked a lot. And as for the difficulty, it is regular for me, it has moments that become tense, and others not so much, the fact of including enough Hitscanners as surprise elements, is something that annoys me a bit, mainly because they are enemies like Shotgunners and Chaingunners, while enemies like the Imps, Pinkys or even the Hell Knights were not as much annoyance to me unlike the Hitscanners that they were an ugly problem for me, both in the beginning and in the middle of the progress, but in the end I managed to finish them all, even if it cost me an attempt to get through the map without dying, but in the end, I had a lot of fun, and I survived Round 2, so I guess I feel satisfied about it.

MAP 02:

Screenshot-Doom-20201102-132231.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201102-132236.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201102-132250.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201102-132254.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201102-133128.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201102-133143.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201102-133157.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201102-133258.png

This second map was very interesting, not only because you were in a high-tech site, but it also had quite a few open spaces, there were areas that had a lot of freedom and a very decent architecture, in this case, talking about the structures made with stones and rocks, in almost any area with open space it has a bit of these structures that give a very good detail to the environment, also mentioning the fact of having some orange brick walls and a lot of water everywhere, really cool and amazing Although with the internal aspect of the site, there really is not much to say, it is more than what was already seen in the first map, so, I just wanted to highlight certain "new" things that the second map had.

The difficulty here is apparently increased, since, on this map, all the normal enemies of Doom 2 appear, even if it is in some cases, very brief appearances of certain monsters that we will find in the area, but in general, I will only say that I liked the fact of including only one Archviles in the entire map, as well as the minimal presence of the Arachnatron, the Mancubus and the Barons of Hell. Really very good map, and certainly very entertaining.

Edited by ElPadrecitoCholo

Heard of a parody of McDonalds? Im sucker for parody maps, will get map 1 on 2 in a moments!

1 hour ago, Capellan said:

Demonastery

HMP.

Gorgeous visuals.  Good fun, too.

Thanks man! It's always lovely to watch someone playing a map I made, and I'm super glad you had fun.

Demonastery was the first map I ever shared with the internet, after a 20 year gap between making loads of terrible half-formed levels in the late 90s which I never showed to anyone, and realising recently that the community is still going strong. In hindsight there are a million things about it that I'd change if I had a time machine - difficulty balancing is one of them - But: eh, I'm just proud I made a map.

Demonastery

Utra-Violence mode || GZDoom || Guns_Dre

*Deaths: 1 (I accidentally fired a rocket into a pillar where I was nearby in the final fight that resulted in my death...)

*Saves: 1

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-085800.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-085813.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-085823.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-085846.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-085901.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-090045.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-090103.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-090135.png

(A really beautiful sight, don't you think?)

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-090252.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-090335.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-090410.png

A really interesting map, quite large and not linear at all, these kinds of maps are my attention, in addition to that, the setting together with the structure that the entire map has in general, makes us think that we are in some kind of temple or huge cathedral that was invaded by demonic entities, the truth that all the structure used in this wad was really good, it was not so necessary to use DEHAKED or OTEX textures to create a good map with a decent variety and very pleasant to the eye, from from the beginning to the areas with a lot of leather, flesh and blood where the keys were, everything seemed correct and well achieved. Now with the difficulty, because the map does not fall short in this aspect either, since throughout the Wad, there are quite a variety of enemies waiting for the Marine to arrive so they can act, in this map we have all the enemies present normal Doom 2, without exception, so, you have to have an idea of what awaits the Marine in this place, also, the areas where the keys are, have an interesting way of doing fights, already that, you can enter the portal, attack and then escape the area and then re-enter, and so on, at no time are there Slaughter combat areas, except for the end, which in this kind of maps is something common to see , but in everything else, they are acceptable fights and without greater risk. I really had fun here, I had a great time, and I enjoyed the fighting a lot, including the ending, a bit, but overall, it was a very good experience, even more so with some secrets that the map had to offer.

Saturnine Chapel

Ultra-Violence mode || GZDoom || WeaponsU_Power

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-093749.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-093806.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-093941.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-093858.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-094023.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-094146.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-094201.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-094443.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-094724.png

Bonus:

(The only secret that this map has in total, a shotgun, that to top it off, there is not enough ammunition for this weapon, and it is not that the weapon is not really necessary either, since everything on the map is mostly just ammunition for a weapon Cell, and to make matters worse, it is very well hidden here, since the weapon is invisible, and it is in a zone of toxic liquid, can someone tell me if this secret is worth it?...)

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-094546.png

(The following map is really strange, because it looks like an area with a timer, that when finished, the dead body of a Marine that is seen in the middle of this map, disappears completely...)

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-094852.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-094922.png

This map is completely strange but at the same time interesting, only that there is a small problem here, and it turns out that... the map is practically unplayable for me, it has too much decoration on it, I think it abuses the use of DEHAKED to make the map quite great and visually impressive, and boy does it achieve it, but that also results, in my case, that the map becomes very unplayable because it cannot support so much decoration, effects of all kinds, and certain platforms that use well 3D, so I'll talk a little about the decoration and structure of the map. This place has a rather strange beginning, in which practically everything is submerged in green liquid that is supposedly toxic, but in reality it is not, although if you approach the dark trees there there will be radiation and toxicity that will hurt the Marine, And in the center of all this we will find a kind of strange structure that is barely under construction but that apparently, someone was already living there, there are many areas with book shelves, wood everywhere, a Crusher where the door is that It requires a blue / red key, a completely dark room with a floor that lights up in a very interesting way, and a lot, a lot of green substance in certain parts of that place, also when you get to the exit it works like an elevator, and ends up making the Marine reach a single area in a straight line, with certain lights on the ground and with a very narrow space. Now moving to the difficulty, the truth... is that this map has a very unbalanced difficulty, apart from having to have been fighting with the constant lag that gave my GZDoom / Zandronum (I had also tried it with this port) to For me to run well, the enemies on this map that were placed made the experience a bit unfair, and that is, apart from having almost all the enemies of Doom 2, except for the ghost Pinkys, and the Spider MasterMind, The way in which each one of them were placed was not the most pleasant at all, you could not even count on better weapons or a slightly more open space for fighting, everything was always in closed spaces, for which, the fights became frustrating and forced you to use a lot of the "trial and error" factor to be able to overcome these encounters based on repeating over and over again, another thing that also falls badly on this map is the excessive use of Archviles, what in everywhere you come to find them which no longer makes the game feel enjoyable, more like it seems to be a test for fury, to see in how many attempts you will get a lot upset with these bastards, and if that were not Enough, the end of the map is even worse, as I said before, it is just a straight, narrow line, and with very annoying enemies, being among them the Revenants, Archviles and 1 Cybedemon, I mean, this is really horrible, maybe some users disagree with me, or maybe not, but with this ending, I sent everything to hell and just wanted to finish the map as soon as possible. In short, I did not enjoy the map at all, even with enemies that do not even reach number 100 in total, the map feels somewhat unfair, and it is not fun at all, maybe this was only made for masochistic players, but for me, This map is crap, only playable, the visual is really good, although it was not necessary to abuse the DEHAKED textures to make a visually interesting map.

3 hours ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

maybe this was only made for masochistic players

All of Dobu's maps are pretty much intended only for people who enjoy dying a lot.

It's the 7th here, so here's my HMP playthrough of McDoomald's 2.

6 minutes ago, Capellan said:

All of Dobu's maps are pretty much intended only for people who enjoy dying a lot.

@Capellan That may explain why you didn't post a video regarding that wad, you knew it would only bring imminent pain to the player from the start.

3 hours ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

maybe this was only made for masochistic players

I had a good time on HMP, as if the warning in the OP wasn't obvious enough, it is also what the author of the map explicitly suggests in the text file. There're also ITYTD and HNTR, so maybe that's worth keeping in mind for the future.

4 hours ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

it was not necessary to abuse the DEHAKED textures to make a visually interesting map

I think what you're talking about is the "nontraditional" usage of stock textures what might seem like some are customized, it's a common motif from some mappers like Dobu or Mechadon, but this map is only stock assets excepting the status bar, titlepic and menu. Demonastery does include several custom textures though no OTEX.

Also, DEHACKED has actually nothing to do with texturing. It's used for modifying sprites' attributes, intermission text, ammo stats, etc, or another common use is for changing the title in the automap. 

McDoomald's 2.

Ultra-Violence mode || Zandronum || Vanilla_Redux

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-163931.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-163923.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-163938.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-163947.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-163957.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-164007.png

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-164250.png

(Lol!)

Screenshot-Doom-20201106-164409.png

A very fun map, without a doubt, I really liked the concept put here, since, despite not having unusual textures, it makes up for it with a good structure and architecture throughout the map, I mean, trying to Replicating the MacDonalds was really interesting, although of course, it was also seen that there were some things that made this very different from just going to the restaurant and now, at least there was enough space for fights, therefore, all the visual of this map I love it, it leaves the marine very satisfied both visually and digestively. Now with the difficulty, the difficulty is really normal, here there is not a large excess of enemies nor are there huge amounts of ammunition to waste, in fact, here everything is perfectly balanced, and that the level has almost all the normal enemies from Doom 2, except for the Arachnatrons, Ghost Pinkys and Mancubus, but anyway, that did not prevent the entertainment from being assured throughout the game, I really liked the map a lot, and I had a lot of fun, and the second map after of this one, it's just funny and cool.

9 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

I had a good time on HMP, as if the warning in the OP wasn't obvious enough, it is also what the author of the map explicitly suggests in the text file. There're also ITYTD and HNTR, so maybe that's worth keeping in mind for the future.

@galileo31dos01 Even if I reduced it in difficulty, it is impossible for me to play it because of how much it lapses during the game, to the point of looking like "Nuts"

12 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Also, DEHACKED has actually nothing to do with texturing. It's used for modifying sprites' attributes, intermission text, ammo stats, etc, or another common use is for changing the title in the automap.

In this case, I apologize for that, according to me, I thought that the "DEHACKED" thing was also related to the texturing of maps.

Ultra-high-detail maps can struggle in GZDoom, which has a lot more going on under the hood than oldschool source ports. That can be compounded by gameplay mods, which in this case is likely the issue (Saturnine Chapel runs okay in GZDoom for me without changes). 

McDoomalds 2: Burger Baron

Did an FDA since I hadn't played this before. 

This is cute. A lot of props, not much emphasis on the cleanliness of texturing and such, chirpy midi. It's not the usual sandbox type of city this time; you have lots of optional areas, but key progression is linear. It is mostly a leisure stroll, although that spectre trap was surprisingly harsh. I overlooked things a couple times but I am growing tired, so forgive me. 

13 minutes ago, ‹rd› said:

Los mapas de detalles ultra altos pueden tener problemas en GZDoom, que tiene mucho más que hacer debajo del capó que los puertos de origen de la vieja escuela. Eso puede agravarse con modificaciones de juego, que en este caso probablemente sea el problema (Saturnine Chapel funciona bien en GZDoom para mí sin cambios). 

Include in vanilla (0 mods) that map run very slow in my GZDoom

7 hours ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

the map feels somewhat unfair, and it is not fun at all, maybe this was only made for masochistic players, but for me, This map is crap, only playable, the visual is really good, although it was not necessary to abuse the DEHAKED textures to make a visually interesting map.

I appreciate the playthrough and write-up—you're not alone in having a negative experience whilst playing it. I typically design Ultra-Violence to be "tough" even when you know the map front to back, and this goes doubly so for Saturnine Chapel, which was made largely in part because I wanted to make a map I didn't have to "water down". I consistently hold the belief that most of my maps are at their "funnest" on HMP, offering a good challenge without beating you over the head. Saturnine, of course, is a big exception, as it's meant to be rude and claustrophobic and very punishing to the tiniest of slip-ups.

Sorry to hear that the map runs slow for you. It's not the DEHACKED that's the problem, it's that the map is really large and full of linedefs, which can slow the gameplay to a crawl depending on your port & graphics card.

@dobu gabu maru Well, that would clarify certain things regarding the map and everything that it brought with it, and sorry if I was a bit harsh with the map, but I really couldn't tolerate it the way it was being run, but hey, thanks there for clarifying me certain doubts, and for having come to comment, partner.

55 minutes ago, Capellan said:

Drought - MAP01

I will post MAP02 tomorrow and MAP03 the day after (they're recorded already)

@Capellan One question, um ... does the wad already include the Doom Mod 2016? Or... should that be downloaded separately?

1 hour ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

@Capellan One question, um ... does the wad already include the Doom Mod 2016? Or... should that be downloaded separately?

I downloaded the bulk pack in the OP and ran t-drought-RC2.wad by itself, which seems to be all inclusive.

6 minutes ago, Capellan said:

I downloaded the bulk pack in the OP and ran t-drought-RC2.wad by itself, which seems to be all inclusive.

Ah, I understand, well dude, thanks for the helping

It's 14th already here (:

+++ Icebound, is a Heretic map by Lutz for boom compatible source ports, so, zdoom.

+++ Mothership, a map for eternity engine by Albatross with aa-tex 

Maybe I shouldn't say anything since I haven't actually participated in this month's (or any other month's) DWMiniwad Club yet, but I've been keeping up with the map selections and thinking about a few obscure PWADs that deserve some love and I believe I may have some potentially interesting suggestions.

In no particular order, then...

+++ Ultramarine, a single-map 2003 Doom 2 PWAD by Fausto David Salazar Mora that is apparently for Zdoom, although I have my doubts whether it isn't really a limit-removing map. I don't think anyone could defend the claim that this is a *good* map in the conventional sense, but I do find it strangely atmospheric and haunting, and it's one that I look back on fondly many years later.

+++ Deus Vult, the one and only. A quite famous Doom 2 PWAD for limit-removing ports and containing several maps, authored by Huy Pham. Whether you want to consider it as four medium-sized exercises in pugilism or one extended odyssey to overthrow Sauron himself, apparently, I think it probably qualifies as a miniwad. And though it obviously isn't obscure by any stretch of the imagination, it has so far not appeared here or in the DWMegawad or DWIronman Clubs unlike its sequel, so it might merit some consideration for that reason.

+++BIG GUNS,  a single-map 2002 Doom 2 PWAD by Gregory Dick which stands out for its restricted arsenal, necessitating almost exclusively rocket-based approach. I'm a bit surprised not to see forced RL usage in more maps, actually, since close-range rocketing can be quite exhilarating.

+++Rocketeer, a single-map 2004 Doom 2 PWAD (presumably vanilla?) by piXel reX which I remember as also forcing the RL onto you, although it's been a long time. Anyway, it's short and sweet.

+++Hoover Dam, a single-map Doom 2 vanilla-compatible PWAD from 1996 by Michael Reed, memorable for its sweeping outdoors areas and a very decent for the time stab at having the player ascend an actual dam.

+++Helpyourselfish, a single-map Doom 2 PWAD (I want to say limit-removing?) by Chris Hansen. An intricate and interconnected base/city map with amazing music but also inescapable pits.

I'm not familiar with most of the maps suggested thus far, but have played Icebound and think it would make an excellent choice.

I hope I haven't overstepped my bounds in making these suggestions out of the blue, and do apologise if that should be the case.