Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UnholyShadows

Doom64 Demonic Covenant (FOR GZDOOM)---- 7 Map Demo (WIP)

Happy Halloween everyone!  I would like to share with you all a Doom64 themed GZDOOM wad that I have been making for a few months now.

Finally Figured out a name for this project, it shall be named "Demonic Covenant"
My goal with this project is to create a wad that feels like Doom64 while at the same time being unique in its own right.

Current Testable version 1.0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/21t6k8ki2bjmde1/UntitledD64Wad1.0.zip?dl=0

(((((INSTRUCTIONS)))))

=================================================================================================

This Wad uses Gzdoom(Tested with Version g4.4.2) or anything similar to Gzdoom(QZDoom can work as well) and the Doom2 Iwad(shouldnt really matter but thats what I use)  Make sure you Load both D64maps.wad and Untitleddoom64_wad_0.1.wad or else you wont be able to play this wad.

=================================================================================================

I would suggest using MouseLook however you might be able to get by without it(Tested with MouseLook)  Also you will have to adjust your sector light settings to Bright or Standard as this wad gets pretty dark.  This wad doesn't use Jumping or crouching however I forgot to disable it(will in future release)

I'm looking for some testers who would like to help me test my upcoming maps before I release them publicly, also if you guys can help me figure out a name for this project that will also be nice.

Credits

Spoiler

- Based off Doom64stuff.pk3 by Footman -

Midway - Doom 64 itself
DrDoctor - Some new sprites
Cage - Some new textures

DrPyspy - Spider Mastermind sprites

Arch-Vile sprite was from sprites assembled by the ZDoom forum user Footman for d64stuffgz: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=24952

StrikerMan780 - I think I got some textures from him but not entirely sure

////////////////DOOM 64 FADE SPAWN SCRIPTS CREDITS
Doom 64 style thing fade in code originally written by Kaiser and AgentSpork,
fade out code written by Nevander, improved code written and modified by
KeksDose and Nevander

If you see something that you made in this and don't see credits for it then please let me know so I can add you here.

List of changes

Spoiler

-Nightmare Imps shoot 3 projectiles at random angles instead of one
-Plasma Rifle is stronger and shoots slightly faster
-Mancubus shoot projectiles at random angles
-Unmaker uses souls as ammo instead of Cells
-Added Archvile and Spidermastermind
-Added a new enemy the Chaingun Arachnotron to fill the chaingunner spot

So far this wad has 7 completed maps which need to be tested and 4 scrapped maps that are in their own special episode.  I do plan on adding "fun" maps to this wad which will be in their own episode and can only be accessed through that episode and not the main campaign.(similar to maps like Cat and Mouse)

This Project will be balanced around UV difficulty however lower difficulties are available as well.

List of maps

Spoiler

Map01 - Hell Portal

Map02 - Depraved Abode

Map03 - Cinder Point

Map04 - Simply Dead

Map05 - Slaughter House

Map06 - Vile Fane

Map07 - Accursed

Map08 - Subnormal

Screenshots

Spoiler

DOOM644.png.4f370fe7c376056eb7b930f9b59f79c1.pngDOOM643.png.efc82b06b05d18c51748bee045573435.pngDOOM642.png.eaac230f533949570c34c8bf35efc3a8.pngDOOM641.png.8aadc45f250d0dd54dfcc96bddf43c76.png

Edited by UnholyShadows

Something went wrong...

2020-10-31_204457.jpg.e3f36d61af1ed798a3e403ccc802a424.jpg

EDIT:

Everything is fine - I only ran one file UntitledDoom64_Wad_0.1_.pk3 and therefore there was an error. It is necessary to ran the second file D64maps.wad too, it is a pity that this is not indicated in the installation instructions.

Edited by 86232and

Make sure you load the the maps as well because this isn't a mod, the D64maps.wad are required as well as the UntitledDoom64_Wad_0.1_.pk3

I'm using the same version of Gzdoom as you so it should work for you when you load both wads.

I highly doubt this would run on the steam port even if you just loaded the the D64maps.wad.

I'm going to update the OP to be more specific on what this wad requires to run.

Sorry that you guys had trouble loading the wad.

Hey! just tested the whole thing and i recorded myself, i'll upload videos on youtube in couple minutes.
Despite a couple things that are mostly of my personal taste this is a really good set of maps.

Here's what i noted:

Good:

-Maping is extremely beautiful and well made
-Music is awesome, i dont know if they are from Doom 64 or is it all new tracks?
-The new boss (Spider mastermind) is awesomely done
-It really have the ambience of Doom 64 ... with the traps and all...

Bad:
-Too much enemies for my taste (especially in the later maps, 06 and 07) 

-The balance is quite unfair, i was out of ammo most the time at the end of maps

-The maps all feel a little bit the same, mainly because there is always a big giant room full of monsters in each map and it gets repetitive in my opinion
-Hitscans arachnotrons are just evil... and they did makes me quit in the last map. I hate hitscan especially in the kind of map where they can hit you from thousand feet away
-I could not find any chainsaw :(
-Pinkies are a little bit slower than in original Doom 64

8 hours ago, Mostcus said:

Any way to lauch it on Steam Port? :O

This is for GZDoom, not for EX and/or the 2020 remaster.

2 hours ago, BigProjectAlone said:

Hey! just tested the whole thing and i recorded myself, i'll upload videos on youtube in couple minutes.
Despite a couple things that are mostly of my personal taste this is a really good set of maps.

Here's what i noted:

Good:

-Maping is extremely beautiful and well made
-Music is awesome, i dont know if they are from Doom 64 or is it all new tracks?
-The new boss (Spider mastermind) is awesomely done
-It really have the ambience of Doom 64 ... with the traps and all...

Bad:
-Too much enemies for my taste (especially in the later maps, 06 and 07) 

-The balance is quite unfair, i was out of ammo most the time at the end of maps

-The maps all feel a little bit the same, mainly because there is always a big giant room full of monsters in each map and it gets repetitive in my opinion
-Hitscans arachnotrons are just evil... and they did makes me quit in the last map. I hate hitscan especially in the kind of map where they can hit you from thousand feet away
-I could not find any chainsaw :(
-Pinkies are a little bit slower than in original Doom 64

Two tracks are done by me, map07 and one unused track for a future map.
Thanks for the gameplay feedback, I think I'm just gonna remove the Hitscan Arachnotrons since they seem too powerful.  I'm glad you liked the mastermind she definitely is a worthy boss fight now.

I think I focused too much on making maps look nice rather than play nice, i'm gonna revisit each map and see if they can be saved or if I should just axe them.

This is a mapset good for if you quicksave. Too bad you cant put in checkpoints (like what Quake Copper does for Quake). But I think if people play it with quicksaving, the maps are really good. They are visually quite nice, and the battles were fun for me since you gave plenty of ammo. I particularly loved the arch-vile sequence. Used my own sprite against me! I think that was my two-armed arch vile right? haha

Here's a video of my playthrough so far. Not complete yet! https://www.twitch.tv/videos/788703519

8 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Too bad you cant put in checkpoints

Actually, you can. ACS supports an Autosave function. I was planning on adding in checkpoints to Retribution, however I would design it so it can be turned off and also would only save if your health is X amount or higher, which would also be user setting.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Autosave

18 hours ago, Nevander said:

Actually, you can. ACS supports an Autosave function. I was planning on adding in checkpoints to Retribution, however I would design it so it can be turned off and also would only save if your health is X amount or higher, which would also be user setting.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Autosave

Oh I didnt know that! Might be a good idea for a WAD like this.

3 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Oh I didnt know that! Might be a good idea for a WAD like this.

Thats a good idea! 

Heres some new screenshots of a new map i'm making.

image.png.bbcd37fb8efc6ba9f2adc6b23e9187d7.png

image.png.781060c5bcaa1b06f20c7c687631c019.png

So, I really enjoyed what's here so far! I had a fun romp through the maps and scrapped maps alike. :)

I also took a few minutes to make an optional add-on for this level pack, using songs from my Perdition Doom 64 tribute album as new music material for the levels, too. Thought it'd be fun to see which songs I felt fit which levels!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ouVU5c0oiKkx-BK9DdRfo2WCs2xEJEvE/view?usp=sharing

I've included it here for anyone who might be interested.

Keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to more of this. :D

I did also really enjoy your custom track for Accursed. I didn't realize it wasn't a proper track until I read your posts above!

Edited by Bouncy

Enjoying this so far. Catches the essence of DOOM 64 with several nice additions such as a few slopes.

Working on revamping all the maps after map03 to make them less massive/slaughtery and more compact and trap based(similar to doom64)

So far I added 1 new map and revamped map04.image.png.56c0dcdde7203684c944244a812aa70a.png

image.png.8bce5a052beb29d008e660ef73747fea.png

maps 4 and 5 have been completely redone and are basically brand new maps despite having 1 or 2 rooms reused but mostly repurposed.  Added a new map and revamped map 06 to be more balanced.  Now to tackle the ice map which will most likely be completely remade since some people said it was too slaughtery.

Map 07 "Accursed" will now be switched to slot 10 and will receive some gameplay rebalancing.

Once the ice map "Subnormal" gets redone and I add maps 8 and 9 I will be looking for testers for a closed 10 map test.  If your interesting in helping me test this wad please let me know.

Heres a slight teaser Screenshot to show that I have made progress on this wad.
image.png.6b1889ef2a785499afdddf17616f96be.png

All the original 7 maps have been finished and now I have begun work on map8(60% done) which will conclude this series of frozen hell maps.

I'm hoping to release another public test when I finish 10 maps.  On a side note i'm still trying to figure out a name for this wad.
image.png.9a87ca37425a74458b7c7e649ce6f4d8.png

On 1/25/2021 at 7:28 AM, UnholyShadows said:

All the original 7 maps have been finished and now I have begun work on map8(60% done) which will conclude this series of frozen hell maps.

I'm hoping to release another public test when I finish 10 maps.  On a side note i'm still trying to figure out a name for this wad.

Sorry for the necrobump, but what's the current state of this project?