Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Hansen

[release] Bond of hatred

1 hour ago, tourniquet said:

if you run into the corner where the green armor rises out of the floor you can get stuck behind it, potential softlock

Yeah. It was mentioned earlier, but thanks for letting me know anyway :) I have already made a simple fix in the version that will be uploaded to /idgames and my website.

Anyway, I felt like mentioning that I feel overwhelmed by the reception of this map! It really warms my old ticker that people seem to really enjoy it! I don't have much time to play other people's levels, so everytime I release a new level I'm always afraid that it and I will seem completely out of the loop. I just do what I've always done but adding a few new tricks I've learned here and there. I guess there's still room for quality, standalone SP maps that doesn't necessarily try and re-invent everything, but perhaps offers something recognizable to the old-schoolers while at the same time being different from what the new-schoolers are used to. Or something like that. I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking this. But judging from the reactions I've gotten this far it seems like it's different from what people are used to and that's kinda suprising to me. Or maybe it is different... I don't know. Someone stop my ramblings, please! :D

Let the apocalypse begin. Have a nice watch! 100% kills and secrets in just 3:50 =)

BoHmx350.zip

YouTube video:

Edited by Dimon12321

On 10/31/2020 at 7:45 PM, Chris Hansen said:

I hope you enjoy playing it and as always feel free to leave a comment or some feedback!

i really enjoyed it. full of surprises how these caves intertwine, twist and go back to some point where you have been before. also loved the music, dark and foreboding, fits the map perfectly. suspense from start to end despite the more limited ultimate doom enemy roster.

the only point where i didn't quite know how to go on was the part before getting the red key. you can see it in @Biodegradable's video at about 15-20 min, if you miss the drop to the little cave with the red key, you'll run in circles for some time.

the most impressive part was right before the boss fight, where you see the alien ship (right?) with the boss  hovering in front of a sea of fire.

the boss itself didn't do much (as you can see from the screenshot, i was quite loaded), but still a memorable map. thanks.

iAKt65A.png

3 hours ago, Pirx said:

the only point where i didn't quite know how to go on was the part before getting the red key. you can see it in @Biodegradable's video at about 15-20 min, if you miss the drop to the little cave with the red key, you'll run in circles for some time.

Thank you for the feedback. Glad you liked the level! It seems you're not the only one that gets a little lost in that area. At one point it was even more obscure so I made those bright, red pillars to make it clear that you have to go down there. I don't know what else I can do without changing the progression too much, but I will try and see if I can make a little more obvious that you have to jump down there.

My playthrough on HMP (video is cut slightly short because I ran out of space):

A classic Chris Hansen map. Has the expected quality and pushes all the right buttons.

Having to drop into the lava to get the red key was pretty clear to me, since those bars were very obvious, and after dropping down to the switch that lowers the bar the sound cue was enough the make it clear that the switch lowered the bars. However, after getting the red key I was a bit stumped, since I completely missed that part of the catwalk lowered. Maybe teleport an enemy or two into that area so that the player's attention is drawn to it?

The barrels on the pillars at the boss fight are a nice touch. When going to the teleporter of the boss fight I was thinking "oh, now comes the obligatory cyberdemon fight" and was honestly surprised when it was a spider mastermind.

Thanks for the video, @boris and for the comments. Will finish watching the video soon. I don't always have the time to do it in one sitting. I'm taking your suggestions into consideration for the final version of the level as they make perfect sense.

2 hours ago, Chris Hansen said:

How strange, @saski. I need a bit more info from you. What kind of error are you getting?

*EDIT*

Never mind. Seems my VPN connection was the culprit. Downlaod works now :)

Nothing happens actually when trying to download the zip with chrome.

So I used wget in order to get more information on what went wrong:

wget http://www.windward.dk/Doomstuff/bondhate.zip
--2020-11-05 19:44:05-- http://www.windward.dk/Doomstuff/bondhate.zip
Resolving www.windward.dk... 94.231.108.252
Connecting to www.windward.dk|94.231.108.252|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 406 Not Acceptable
2020-11-05 19:44:05 ERROR 406: Not Acceptable.

Seems that the http download request is denied for some reason :(

Managed to figure out all secrets on first playthrough. I really like how Chris Hansen able to find that balance between gunplay and exploration in his maps.

On 11/2/2020 at 8:15 AM, tourniquet said:

if you run into the corner where the green armor rises out of the floor you can get stuck behind it, potential softlock

I encountered the green armor softlock too.

Other than this, and some minor shit, this level is superb. There's something so visually striking to it for me. To me it's the best They Flesh Consumed style level I've ever played. The challenge was real, but defeatable, and the layout was intricate. I like the look and feel of the level for sure, but I got lost about halfway through. I don't know how much of that is on me, but I did spend a good few minutes wondering where the hell to go, and then finding some back path that I'd missed earlier.

Overall, I loved this level, keep up the good work.

Finally had a chance to play this properly and it is outstanding.   I loved the secrets (100% on first try since they are logical and well hinted at but not given away freely).   Favorite fight was probably the area before the red door, as you were never completely safe in any given location; that or the introduction of the barons as that worked out well.   What I really liked though, was the sense of place you created here; it felt like a real structure carved within the mountain besides a sea of lava.   The dungeony elements were done especially well and your tech usage just made the whole place feel like a new episode to Doom.   (Your texture combinations and usage have always been impressive to me).  The level is outstanding Chris with superb pacing, excellent visuals and a soundtrack that drives you further into this fantastic adventure.   Well done!