Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sunnyfruit

The Dean of Doom series (companion thread)

1 hour ago, i suck at nicknames said:

Which one am I missing? (I assume its Going Down?)

Heartland, valiant, ancient aliens, and eviternity are the other A+ ones, at least according to the grade book.

On 11/4/2020 at 9:22 PM, GraphicBleeder said:

Hm, I've never actually heard of this guy, gonna give a few of his "Dean of Doom" vids a watch. He looks pretty cool.

Update: Just got done watching his "Going Down" video. He's a very interesting youtuber, gonna subscribe to him, I'm interested in this "Dean of Doom" series he has going.

Resurrecting this thread to say that holy shit, I underestimated MtPain.

He ain't wrong about Hell Revealed for sure, that is maybe the worst aged duology in the history of the game (especially HR2)

Chad Memento Mori vs. virgin Hell Revealed

Dean of Doom have strangely become comfort videos for me. I love throwing them on and watching even the ones I've seen a number of times before. I appreciate how succinct and well-spoken he is. Its also nice to tell he is not just regurgitating popular talking points in his reviews and get to hear fresh perspectives. Always find his opinion insightful, even when I don't agree.

Also, anyone else never skip the intro?

9 minutes ago, King Know-Nothing said:

Dean of Doom have strangely become comfort videos for me.

i was having a particularly rough time in life when he started the series and it very quickly became a comfort thing for sure. he's laid back, has a good sense of humor, and really seems to care about the more personal and expressive aspects of doomstuffs, which means a lot to me.

23 minutes ago, King Know-Nothing said:

Dean of Doom have strangely become comfort videos for me. I love throwing them on and watching even the ones I've seen a number of times before.

Yeah, me too. I seem to disagree with him many times (especially regarding Evilution), but it doesn't matter, "disagreeing is part of the fun". Sometimes when I have trouble sleeping, I might just put the Dean on my mobile phone and place it on the nightstand and watch some old episode. And more often than not, I don't fall asleep 'cause I wanna watch more :(

1 minute ago, RHhe82 said:

And more often than not, I don't fall asleep 'cause I wanna watch more :(

Big ole' same right here haha. Its the constant, 'just one more episode...' syndrome.

I agree so much with all of you, Dean of Doom is a really REALLY good series that always keeps company, no matter the moment, and it's great to binge too.

Pain is an excellent writer who can articulate his feelings on WADs extremely well. Always exciting to see a new video in my subscriptions. :^)

Well, he hasn't uploaded regularly since summer of last year. He wrote a statement on his Youtube community page last autumn that he's pretty burnt out on Doom right now and needs a break. So it remains to be seen if the series actually continues.

Edited by Gregor

it will. he said on his patreon that he's working on the new episode but is just being a bit of a perfectionist over stuff, that's all.

For the sake of making life easy, here's another Dean of Doom related thread that has many posters:

27 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Well, he hasn't uploaded regularly since summer of last year. He wrote a statement on his Youtube community page last autumn that he's pretty burnt out on Doom right now and needs a break. So it remains to be seen if the series actually continues.

Honestly I wouldn't be that mad if he was finished for good. He's more then earned my respect for his channel.

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

For the sake of making life easy, here's another Dean of Doom related thread that has many posters:

Oh dude, this is the most mega awesome thing ever

3 hours ago, Klaesick said:

Yeah, I love MtnPain27! The only real question is when he'll make a Doomworld Account.

He’s already here, and has been for a while.

I just found MtPain's channel recently, and I've been binging his vids. Often times I wont agree with his ratings, but like he says, it's all part of the fun :)

Pain's dipping into the burnt offerings from our French friends in the community, eh? I do hope he looks into 180 Minutes Pour Vivre at a later date. That'd work as an interesting complementary piece to 3 heures d'agonie seeing how it's a different French speedmapping megaWAD.

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

Pain's dipping into the burnt offerings from our French friends in the community, eh? I do hope he looks into 180 Minutes Pour Vivre at a later date. That'd work as an interesting complementary piece to 3 heures d'agonie seeing how it's a different French speedmapping megaWAD.

He did play it with us for the MegaWAD club that one month, so hopefully we get an ep out of it!

A real monster of an episode. I do enjoy the fact that it isn't just a series of going after the most talked about WADs, but stuff that might not get the attention it deserves. I love hearing his take on stuff I played, but I get way more enjoyment out of watching an episode and getting excited to check it out.

Considering the inconsistent and distant times that the videos are releasing most of the time now, I was pleasantly surprised how soon this one was.

Edited by Jacek Bourne

It's been at least a year since I played this wad but I've played it probably 5 times. I didn't recognize any of the first 6 or 7 maps and only started remembering rooms here and there until it got to map 29. I remember every little detail of that map and I'm going to play it again this weekend. I don't have a problem with long, difficult maps and I’ve never really paid much attention to how long it takes to get through a map. But then again I don’t make YT vids  where I have to squeeze 32 maps into 30 minutes. I love this map for all the same reasons MtPain hates it. I’m with him on the overall grade but my guess is that map 29 drug down the average. For me it’s the only map that raised it above a D-. I barely remember the rest of them.