Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artman2004

Your opinion on Twitter?

I myself have never used Twitter, but I've heard other people talk about it. They usually say how toxic it is, and how awful it's users are.

What do you guys think of Twitter?

I found it to be an extremely toxic work environment since you can block people that you'd normally do business with. Highly discourage business minded people from using it.

It's good for following content creators and stuff, but come on, we all know its hot traaash.

It's a big trashcan that the president and other famous celebrities get inside of in order to argue about things they know nothing about instead of just punching each other in the balls like normal people do in real life.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

"Doom Twitter" (The Doom community part of Twitter) is no better than r/doom in my opinion.
It's just people repeating the same jokes over and over again.

An entertaining dumpster fire of a website. There's never a dull moment. Also, it's a great place to keep track of and even interact with your favourite internet-based creators. It can also be really useful if you're a freelancer who works in some form of digital media, like what I do with my editing work. It can be a nightmare sometimes, but much like Doom, it provides plenty of tools to help you create the best experience you want out of it personally. It very much deserves the shit people give it sometimes and can be really overwhelming now and then because it'll give you a lot of news even if you don't follow any news sources thanks to the trending tab that sits in the corner staring at you.

I've been largely ignoring my timeline this entire year because, well y'know, it being 2020 and everything is on fire figuratively and literally. But it can also be a lot of fun shitposting with friends, getting updates on creator's work you love and finding really silly stuff to laugh at be it from the news or a funny tweet you stumbled across. But it can be pretty poisonous and can fuck up your brain, especially if you happen to deal with paranoia, depression or anxiety. My best friend made a solid video  about how it affects him on a personal level.

At the end of the day, it's very much a mixed bag and if it wasn't so damn useful for my business, I honestly would have deleted my account by now.

Edited by Biodegradable

It's..... Fine, I guess, I use it to follow some dudes and talk, but always, ALWAYS, stay away from political twitter. That's a can of worms I don't really wanna open.

I used to be pretty active on it but I strongly advise that you don't. It's nice for connecting with people and sharing content, and also finding memes, but at the end of the day it's just criminally toxic. Everyone on the platform is mad about something all the time, and it just beats you down mentally after a while. It sucks. I disabled my account this past march.

Twitter gives you tools to customize your timeline the way you see fit, which is one of the reasons I still have a Twitter account.

That being said, my timeline is full of good vidya stuff.

But yes, the site can be very toxic, especially on a political side. It feels like people finally have something to vent their frustration & sound like they have an authority over everything because they received over 1k of likes/retweets. It can get into your head easily.

I suggest to the new comers that you join a community you see fit & filter garbage away. And don't let it overwhelm you mentally. I know this from the experience.

Twitter is one of the most horrid inventions of the modern age. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it was invented by Satan himself. It's a malignant environment that encourages hot takes, echo chambers, mindless bandwagoning, drive-by jabs and insults, and generally everything that's the opposite of thoughtful discourse.

As is the case with any social media, if you're good enough at curating the kind of content you want to see, it can be usually a pleasant experience. If you're asking about what kind of people are prevalent in that platform though, yeah... they're scary, to say the least. lmao

Sucks, this must be the 1000th topic on this subject.

Twitter exists, like social media in general, to breed toxic hives, collect and sell your data, and cancel you.

I got into Twitter because of doom_txt, I'll admit, but haven't logged on in years now. But you'd best steer clear of the site in general if you wanna avoid idiocy and selfishness, among other bad qualities.

9 hours ago, Sunnyfruit said:

It's 4chan international, but worse and it's engineered to eat your braincells through notifications. Stay away.

I genuinely think that Twitter is more of an 'Internet Hate Machine' than 4chan could ever hope to be, the amount of bitter vitriol, petty spite, and pure hatred, that's on constant 24/7 display, it's beyond the pale.

I genuinely think people under 18 shouldn't be allowed on Twitter, because it's crowded with hatemongers looking for kids to groom into their world view. Problem is there's no simple way of keeping kids out, and neglected teens (which there are many of on the web), gravitate to spaces like those.

Twitter is not optimized for creating a pleasant social space, but instead towards "engagement" with the platform - whatever will make its users look at more advertisements.  Based on results, it's clear that conflict breeds more clicks than pleasantness.  It's also almost impossible to properly moderate a social space that large, and it shows with the amount of vitriol and fake/bot accounts that seems to only exist to anonymously stir the pot and provoke reactions.

If you really need a micro-blogging social network in your life, go with Mastodon.  I've popped my head in and out for years, and while I can't say it's great with a straight face since drama still occasionally work its way into my feed, the instances are owned and moderated by real people, not a faceless amoral corporation trying to drive traffic.  It's great for what it is, and it's worlds better than Twitter.

Twitter is fucking amazing, I love it, gosh it’s wonderful...

Actually I’m indifferent toward it but this circle jerk is just getting out of hand, there are kids here man, keep it behind closed doors... 

Twitter can be entertaining and is only as toxic as you are susceptible to toxicity. In other words, use of critical thinking makes encountering opinions you may disagree with a breeze. I really don’t care about it and go long times without using it but the pearl clutching about it is just getting nauseating!

It's okay if you curate who you follow, and to some extent who follows you. I still read it but no one responds to anything I post so I don't post anymore; it's read-only. But can still be valuable to read; it covers news stuff the News doesn't, for example.

Twitter is a dumpster fire. It's engineered for "engagement", e.g., amplifying people who piss you off. Any platform that gamifies human interaction is trash, but Twitter has, in my experience, gone above and beyond in amplifying the worst people on the internet. I use it because, sadly, its the only place for fighting game tech anymore, but I'd dump it in a heartbeat if I could.

It's very easy to get swept up into all the garbage and drama so I have to actively remind myself "No, don't go down this hole". If you get into that mindset it's more manageable. 

17 hours ago, TenenteZashu said:

A picture's worth a thousand words.

Dumpster-Fire-1.jpg.a60c15cc1d66af672dc18a5307a9db37.jpg

Yes that about sums it up.