Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artman2004

Your opinion on Twitter?

Twitter is fine if you know what you're doing and what you're following, it has been quite helpful for staying up to date with game and tech news and following some youtubers, mods and project pages where they share interesting previews of their upcoming works, development details, screenshots....etc. Though I rarely (if ever) check comments by other users there, only when the tweet looks interesting enough for me to see what others think about it, but even then I take everything I read there with a grains of salt.

Edited by sluggard

Tread carefully on Twitter is all I can say.

I avoided getting one for the longest time, but for the sake of promoting my projects, I got one. However, for ONE ENTIRE YEAR I have not looked at my timeline because it got so toxic (and that's due to Kpop stuff, if fans can be that vile toward each other, imagine other topics). I literally just go straight to my page, and if I want to look at stuff, I just go directly to the page. I should probably start using the list feature again but I'm too lazy right now. There are some pretty cool people on Twitter, but sadly, the toxic ones bad for your mental health seem to be the loudest. My biggest beef is the "mutual" stuff getting into your timeline feed.... you can see what people you follow likes (and can't turn it off), you can see occasional posts from people FOLLOWED NOT BY YOU BUT BY SOMEONE YOU FOLLOW in your feed (and you can't turn it off), you can't hide the trending window on the side so I try not to look at it majority of the time but that's damn hard (some hashtags are sick why is that even allowed), *sigh* 

So if I had anything nice to say about the site, it is very useful for giving jam updates, finding cool voice actors for my projects, etc etc. I even made a couple friends, so I can't hate it too badly, especially since there are really nice and positive users trying to cleanse the timeline with their cool stuff, encouraging words, or fun raging (not toxic raging, just like "WHY IS IT SO HARD TO DRAW HAAAANDS" kinda raging lol). 

Mostly reiterating what I said in the "Opinions on Social Media" thread, but- my biggest resentments with Twitter are that most of the people I knew who stayed on it were seemingly radicalized into nonsense positions over the past few years, the "discourses" I enjoyed engaging with have grown stupid and vicious, and trying to wade through all the noise for decent content always leaves me feeling like a lunatic afterwards.

Kind of wish I hadn't started using it again, but I've found a few decent Doom/Quake mods and podcasts through it at least.

Edited by Smouths

On 11/3/2020 at 8:41 PM, The Bug said:

two words:

cancel culture

Mind sharing what got you cancelled in particular? Don't worry, we'll all laugh at the silly sjews overreacting, surely you're not a shit person deserving to get ostracized.

All non-forum social media is cursed, especially twitter.

(i know this thread has been dormant for awhile but I think this is relevant enough)

i recently decided to quit twitter and if anyone reading this still uses that site i'd recommend at least taking a break from it for about a week

main reason for quitting it for me was the fact twitter is just a waste of time

twitter pretty much shuts your brain off and your left scrolling for hours (even though it feels like you've been scrolling for 3 minutes)

Twitter is often advertised as a place to start conversations, but if one should try to create a meaningful exchange of views on issues, then frequently the debate turns sour and/or strays into a digression because of seemingly low attention spans.

Be brave enough to have a contradictory opinion with someone having hundreds or even thousands of followers and sometimes get blocked/get targeted for negative attention that may involve those followers.  The attempt to open a dialogue about complex issues often is not rewarded and/or is ignored as if some distraction presented itself.

Why do I say such things like this about Twitter?  I know because I have a Twitter site.  I won't link its URL here, but it's possible to find it; If you want to see the Twitter site in question, try searching for what exists in front of you. . . . back on point, I avoid "drama" but see it play out against popular Twitter users who become victims of what is called "cancel culture".

In the grand scheme of things, I use Twitter knowing I could become "cancelled" for just a single mistake in a post.  I also, from experience, know Twitter is losing popularity and it is not as easy to attract  followers for your Twitter site.  Those boasting followers in large quantities  tend to have a successful presence from a different social media site, and/or have an official celebrity status before joining the site.

To be fair, I used qualifiers such as "frequently" and "sometimes" because I was presenting downsides of Twitter's collective users, but not all Twitter users are negative and vengeful of what may be considered insults.  Good-natured and kind people do use Twitter, and may surprise others by even taking a stand against "cancel culture" or even just being available to support those seeking a positive and respectful Twitter experience.  I want to clearly communicate that indeed it is possible to have fun and be respected as a Twitter user by certain other Twitter users.

As I finish stating my message, I want it to be expressed that I keep using Twitter because despite the dwindling audience for the site and certain portions of negative Twitter users, I have fun attempting to keep a focused and structured theme for one of my hobbies.

Once in a while I hear about some ridiculous Twitter drama that happened, and I'm like... wow, how can a site be so bad at fostering good-faith discussions? See the whole "proshipper" debacle, where you can get accused of "being okay with murder" for saying you dislike a ship, or most attempts to "cancel" online celebrities (which I want to stress often contain legitimate criticisms of a figure, but you seemingly can't have that without all the conspiracy theories and nitpicking of things posted a decade ago).

Then again, although they might not admit to it, fostering conversation matters a lot less to Twitter than engagement, and toxicity creates a lot more engagement than calm, good-faith debate, so I suppose capitalism is once again at fault here.

I use it because I follow the news, and I think the commentary around the news is just as important as the news itself. Twitter users are always very quick to supply missing contextual information that a news article will leave out.

It's also useful to follow artists I like.

I don't enjoy interacting with most users though. A lot of people on Twitter are absolutely chomping at the bit to nail you down as left/right and then unleash their preferred insults. The amount of sarcastic venom and backhanded comments is infuriating sometimes.

More like "fart-in-a-desert-er". The character count limit is very symbolic

Back in school, a few times people leaked screenshots of my personal messages and some compromising / misinterpreted gossip there. Their twitter was "hidden" and wasn't linked on other social media pages, but i was a curious kid, so found it all and confronted them. I also informed other people that were compromised there, so it ended up more embarrassing for the posters. What a shithole, it literally feeds off lies and conflicts. If one actively maintains a twitter and is not a media person, better not trust.

Edited by ClumsyDoomer

I hate Twitter but it's a website I can't get enough of. I just browse on a private account and use a public account whenever I feel like posting something to it. 

Never really understood the appeal, probably my least favorite of the 'big' social media sites.  It even looks bland...

I only use Doomworld, Discord, Youtube, and Reddit (if you even count it, just to ask questions for the most part). 

Also LinkedIn for business stuff once in a blue moon.

I do pretty well at just following artists i like and not interacting at all with anyone in tweets, so i feel a bit left out of most bullshit happening there. I'd rather not use it, but it's where most creators are...

It is a skip on fire but one with valuable nuggets of gold, jewels and other valuables that can with care be saved from the wreckage. You just need to know which burning skips to trawl and what PPE to wear on the day :)

skipfire.jpg

There are three main attractions for me:

1. Katie the Jouranlist, a satirical account that defends hitting women or something. Her account has been terminated multiple times, so I have no idea what her handle is at the moment.

2. PETA is fucking hilarious to watch.

3. Hentai.

Stick to friends and stuff you like, don't go down rabbit holes, and you'll be fine. Standard protocol for nearly all social media.

Except, of course, for the ones who trumpet far and wide they're for "freedom." Then you know you're really there to look at all the bigots.

I'd rather be on Twitter than Facebook. Facebook is a nightmare zone of racists and lunatics that actively silences progressive voices in favor of reactionaries.

It’s a massive dumpster fire as said before, but at the very least you have the option of filtering out the bullshit by muting certain words and phrases.

Now my Twitter feed is just full of memes, vidya gaem news, cute animals, sometimes stuff retweeted by some of you guys that I follow, and posts from my friend circle that I am no longer in touch w/ as much but I get to see what they’re up to.