Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HQDefault

Do you feel the Doom Eternal community is becoming toxic?

14 hours ago, Chezza said:

I actually agree with this term. The game is very challenging but when you master its gameplay you do end up feeling like a powerful bad arse. Furthermore, Eternal's cutscenes has people shaking in their boots when the Slayer is around and some voice logs claiming he is a God.

It was during my first playthrough of ARC Complex, when I had built up confidence in my playstyle and "The Only Thing They Fear Is You" kicked in, that I first felt like that. It was fucking epic and those few minutes alone justified the money I paid for the game, as far as I'm concerned. Cutscenes and logs add to it, but what I think really cements it is the gameplay+music.

@AtimZarr1

Thank you for taking the time to make that post!  It makes me happy to see my impression of the DOOM subreddit is wrong.  I stopped frequenting r/DOOM and the official forums because I assumed any criticism of the Ancient Gods DLC would be met with the same kind of vitriol I saw at launch.  (And it's entirely possible that I just frequented both of those places at the same time as the assholes did.)

As for the game's difficulty, I still stand by my statement.  You can't unlock everything without completing the game on the hardest difficulty.  The DLC is even more difficult than the main game.  Weekly event challenges now require you to win multiplayer matches rather than just participate in them.  (Sometimes you have to complete levels on Ultra Nightmare too.)  id plans to introduce new rewards for completing Master Levels, including rewards specifically for UN.  Lastly, nearly every patch has tweaked the Marauder in some way so as to remove alternate ways to deal with him.  That definitely seems like gate-keeping to me.

Honestly it's mostly nerds from the Souls community from what I've seen. Never got the elitism of beating hard games and the weird thing is you never see anyone bragging about how they beat Ninja Gaiden or any of the classicvanias. It's exclusively souls games

On 11/1/2020 at 12:30 PM, Doom64hunter said:

r/Doom in general is just absolute trash. Nothing but meme shitposts, zero intelligent discussion going on.

that's nearly all of reddit and all of twitter. Youtube comments and 4chan are unironically better

the world has more insecure people every day. im pretty sure thats the root of having to be right. or needing people to agree with you in order to feel ok with yourself.

̶I̶ ̶ ̶h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶f̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶c̶u̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶D̶E̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶x̶i̶c̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶d̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶D̶o̶o̶m̶w̶o̶r̶l̶d̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶f̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶a̶l̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶D̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶E̶t̶e̶r̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶c̶u̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶c̶l̶a̶s̶s̶i̶c̶ ̶d̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶c̶u̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶S̶u̶b̶-̶r̶e̶d̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶b̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶o̶o̶m̶e̶r̶-̶s̶h̶o̶o̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶f̶f̶

nvm what I said 

Edited by BetaMarine : I changed my mind

1 hour ago, BetaMarine said:

I honestly feel like the discussion on DE is less toxic on reddit than it is on Doomworld. I am specifically talking about Doom Eternal discussion, not classic doom discussion. The doom Sub-reddit doesn’t know anything abt the boomer-shooter stuff.

I would be interested if you could provide examples of said toxic discussions here? I don't think I have witnessed much toxicity here, just people having strong feelings towards the game.

Edited by sluggard

4 minutes ago, sluggard said:

I would be interested if you could provide examples of said toxic discussions here? besides the occasional oddball that tries his damnest to make sure every criticism directed towards DE is seen as subjective, I can't say I have witnessed much toxicity, just people having strong feelings towards the game.

IMG_8425.jpg.986e1735d41db79d2476651d4405b80e.jpgIMG_8426.jpg.918018030755d9cf87edadf67dc42a46.jpg

15 hours ago, BetaMarine said:

(pictures)

All I'm seeing is someone who's upset they didn't get the game they wanted, you get those even in reddit sometimes.

Edited by sluggard

2 minutes ago, sluggard said:

That's just one of those occasional oddballs, all I'm seeing is someone who's upset they didn't get the game they wanted, you get those even in reddit sometimes.

Agreed.

3 hours ago, BetaMarine said:

images

WTF am I reading and why does it sound like mindless drivel

2 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Bahaha the "humour is objective" guy, what a character.

Yeah, he's been floating around this sub-forum for quite some time now.

Shakespeare is still funny, right? I mean without having to read a bunch of footnotes in order to understand the allusions, slang and references that were en vogue in 16th century England. After all, humour is objective right?