Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DownloadTheseSweetViruses

How to make Fist-only starts on your map?

Question

10 answers to this question

There is a wad called Strain that has fist only starts through DeHacked methods, but all the wad author did was set your starting bullet count to 0 (you spawn with the gun equipped, but with zero bullets, which means that if you hit the fire button - Doomguy will just lower his pistol and switch to fist).

Also, if you want to FORCE the player to pistol-start (or if you combine Strains method with fist-starting) every or almost every other map - you're gonna have to kill the player and afterwards trigger a level exit (sliding player corpses onto level exit lines, killing the icon of sin, using that e1m8 death floor [not sure if that one will work tho] etc.).

If you combine Strains 0 ammo method with one of those level exit methods - you can force the player to fist-start every map or any specific map of your choice.

Scythe 2 has some level exit methods.

9 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

Also, if you want to FORCE the player to pistol-start (or if you combine Strains method with fist-starting) every or almost every other map - you're gonna have to kill the player and afterwards trigger a level exit (sliding player corpses onto level exit lines, killing the icon of sin, using that e1m8 death floor [not sure if that one will work tho] etc.).

If you combine Strains 0 ammo method with one of those level exit methods - you can force the player to fist-start every map or any specific map of your choice.

Scythe 2 has some level exit methods.

Oh, I've heard of this method

2 hours ago, DownloadTheseSweetViruses said:

How do you make Fist-only starts on your map?

You didn't specify if you're creating a map for doom/2.exe or for one of the source ports. @Ar_e_en pointed out some methods for doom/2.exe, but if you want to use a source port that supports scripting you can set up each map to be pistol-start only.

6 minutes ago, ReX said:

You didn't specify if you're creating a map for doom/2.exe or for one of the source ports. @Ar_e_en pointed out some methods for doom/2.exe, but if you want to use a source port that supports scripting you can set up each map to be pistol-start only.

I just edited it thank you, but I meant a a vanilla IWAD running with GZDOOM.

Just now, DownloadTheseSweetViruses said:

... I meant a vanilla IWAD running with GZDOOM.

If your map is intended to be used with GZDooM, you should use ACS scripting to set up fist-only starts. However, it sounds like you might be creating a map for vanilla DooM and simply playing it in GZDooM. If that's the case, then use the other methods outlined above.

Just now, ReX said:

If your map is intended to be used with GZDooM, you should use ACS scripting to set up fist-only starts. However, it sounds like you might be creating a map for vanilla DooM and simply playing it in GZDooM. If that's the case, then use the other methods outlined above.

Does DECORATE work or no?

1 minute ago, DownloadTheseSweetViruses said:

Yes, DECORATE may be used to create a new player class that starts off with a fist. [Of course, you will need to map for ZDooM or one of its derivatives that support ACS.] However, I believe that the new player class will start with a fist only at the beginning of the first map. You would need to use ACS scripting to take away all weapons at the start of each new map.

1 minute ago, DownloadTheseSweetViruses said:

You can use DECORATE to create a different player class that starts with only the fist, and then use MAPINFO to replace the normal Doom player class with this one.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Creating new playe classes

It'd look like this in DECORATE:

Actor FistStartPlayer : DoomPlayer
{
	Player.StartItem "Fist"
}

Also if you want every level to start with just the fist, you can put the keyword ResetInventory in a defaultmap section at the start of the MAPINFO lump. Or just put it in the map definition of the levels where you want inventory to be reset. Don't forget about ResetHealth if you want to also reset it to 100% at level start.

On 11/1/2020 at 4:53 PM, Gez said:

You can use DECORATE to create a different player class that starts with only the fist, and then use MAPINFO to replace the normal Doom player class with this one.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Creating new playe classes

It'd look like this in DECORATE:

Actor FistStartPlayer : DoomPlayer
{
	Player.StartItem "Fist"
}

Also if you want every level to start with just the fist, you can put the keyword ResetInventory in a defaultmap section at the start of the MAPINFO lump. Or just put it in the map definition of the levels where you want inventory to be reset. Don't forget about ResetHealth if you want to also reset it to 100% at level start.

I used this technique for my Randomiser Mod that I'm doing. I done it so the player starts with 65 armour, 100 health, a few inventory items, and a pistol with 50 rounds, then it's find whatever you can to survive. I had to look at the CF files to find out how to do it properly. Didn't think to look on the zdoom wiki lol