Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
finnks13

Some Shenanigans - A Boom-Compatible Megawad made for NaNoWadMo 2020

picy.png.55c0890ecdecafd9b172df2291958c3b.png

Hi,

This is the project that I've been working on for this year's NaNoWadMo.

I've made 25 maps over the course of October (didn't quite manage to get 32 done but ah well), ranging from short techbases to large hellish slaughtermaps! They were made in between around 2 and 8 hours.

The main idea behind this was to do my first attempt at using OTEX and also my first attempt at properly speedmapping, which sounds like a horrible idea in hindsight, but I think it's come together pretty well.

These are speedmaps so bugs will almost certainly present however they shouldn't break the level (Let me know if you find any though!)

Hope you enjoy!

SCREENIES:

PIC1.png.68da752273d131bb55b92ac6c260d18b.png

PIC2.png.cab0f0aaa432b6b0be4e5c0f2cfb624a.png

PIC3.png.c4b1f232ae80ca09e46ce77a1381132c.png

INFO:

Maps: Map01-Map25 (+Map31)

IWAD: DOOM2.wad

Format: Boom (-cl9)

Tested With: prboom+ 2.5.1.5, GZDoom 4.1.0 (might have some issues on Map23 and 24 due to the large amount of monsters)

Difficulty Settings: There aren't any currently. Sorry.

Co-Op Starts: No (Decided not to risk it)

CREDITS:

Spoiler

ukiro - for creating the excellent OTEX texture pack
Jimmy - MIDIs (Maps 8, 13, 17)
Stewboy - MIDIs (Maps 4, 7, 11, 12, 16, 22, 23)
mouldy - MIDIs (Maps 18, 19)
Phil Gardner - MIDI (Map 5)
King Meteor - MIDIs (Maps 3, 20)
Mark Klem - MIDIs (Maps 9, 14, 15)
Jorge D. Fuentes - MIDI (Map 21)
Ian Rentz - MIDI (Map 10)
Jamie Robertson - MIDI (Map 24)
Blood - MIDIs (Maps 6, 31)
Jayster - Intermission Midi
esselfortium - Colour Palette (from 32in24 series)

DOWNLOAD:

>>HERE<<

Any feedback would be much appreciated because I will absolutely change around some fights a bit if they're awful (and I'd like to make a credits map too before uploading to /idgames)

Edited by finnks13 : Updated wad to v0.3 incase anyone stumbles on the post before I upload it to /idgames

Gave it a spin just for shits and giggles, so far i like the overall 'not that serious' approach. Demo's for 1-7 shen1-7_TNq.zip

Stuff:

1&2: fairly low health for such hitscan heavy maps but that's more of a observation but a complaint, the exit door trap in 2 is just brutal, my luck i found the secret blueberry

3: nice gimmick, perhaps add a few more shells to the switch at the end of the platforming section, it's not fun to kill viles with a pistol, is this map even maxable?

4: found a non damaging spot between 2 buildings, maybe there's more better double check

5: unless i've missed something there's not enough ammo to kill all mobs at the exit ambush, you've to consider the 2 viles and all the stuff they might revive on their path

6: short crunchy, sorta swift death lite edition, no complaints, there's a missing texture on the side of a small staircase, tried to make it obvious in the demo

7: maybe a bit too hitscan heavy in combination with all the cyb turrets, idk...

just doubled checked the map to see if there's a way to telefrag the cybies, in fact there is one so all is good

gonna play some more maps later

1 hour ago, tourniquet said:

Gave it a spin just for shits and giggles, so far i like the overall 'not that serious' approach. Demo's for 1-7 shen1-7_TNq.zip

Stuff:

1&2: fairly low health for such hitscan heavy maps but that's more of a observation but a complaint, the exit door trap in 2 is just brutal, my luck i found the secret blueberry

3: nice gimmick, perhaps add a few more shells to the switch at the end of the platforming section, it's not fun to kill viles with a pistol, is this map even maxable?

4: found a non damaging spot between 2 buildings, maybe there's more better double check

5: unless i've missed something there's not enough ammo to kill all mobs at the exit ambush, you've to consider the 2 viles and all the stuff they might revive on their path

6: short crunchy, sorta swift death lite edition, no complaints, there's a missing texture on the side of a small staircase, tried to make it obvious in the demo

7: maybe a bit too hitscan heavy in combination with all the cyb turrets, idk...

just doubled checked the map to see if there's a way to telefrag the cybies, in fact there is one so all is good

gonna play some more maps later

Thanks for giving my wad a go! Glad you liked it so far. I think your comments are right, though I will say for Map5 you did miss the SSG (you even managed to counterstrafe at the last moment before you grabbed it when an archvile boosted you towards it!) so I think that might have something to do with the ammo shortage - though I'll add some more anyway (probably in the form of a backup SSG). You're also right in that Map3 can't be max'd (max kills is 9/21, I think I said in the text file) but it's more ammo deficient than I intended.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the maps, watching the demos has been really entertaining so far!

59 minutes ago, MidnightMage said:

I absolutely love the cityscape screenshot. The new textures, and stbar really look pretty interesting. Great work here.

Thanks! I am very happy with how that map came out!

some more shen8-17_TNq.zip

8: good map, you can grab the secret berserk without opening the door

9: alright, died like 100 times to the cyb, should have released him earlier

10: the island hopping was certainly yoinked from eviternity, fun map however the boat part was a tedious clusterfuck considering your supposed to use the RL

11: obligatory tyson map, didn't bother maxing it but yeah good map

12: some neat gimmicks in here, probably tough to max due to the vile's at the end but no complaints

13: tough start, good map

14: a bit of a breather compared to previous ones, fairly spacious, i enjoyed it

15: perhaps a bit more ammo/shells to clear the whole catwalk section including the viles

31: not much to say here

16: the toughest nut so far, fortunately short enough to not get too frustrated, perhaps add a berserk unless there's a secret one. I had barely enough ammo to max it

17: it's possible to skip both key fights if you pacifist trough the cyb/pinkie section/not waking up other monsters, perhaps add a shoot switch to prevent that scenario.

Got a bit tired from playing all that maps in succession so i skipped the final battle, however it seems manageable with plenty of resources available

the rest shen18-24_TNq.zip

here comes the fun part, i think the last few maps are the one's i enjoyed the most

18: good midi choice, the start is brutal but the rest plays quite alright, barely had enough ammo to kill all viles but gladly there's a berserk

19: phew the start is a real stinker, i wish you'd hand out a shotgun right away, died countless times whist trying to get foothold and having just the pistol sucks.
      struggled a lot with ammo in the sewer section had to rely on infighting to progress, the cyb fight was fun. Also nice Going Down homage

20: cool RL centric map, i like it

21: looks tough at first glance but there are tons of resources, had a blast

either add a way to get out of the trenches down in the central area or make them damaging

sry double post

22: might need to add a mechanism to prevent players from not waking up enemies like a shoot switch, fun map

23: block lines for the RK fight, got blasted out of the map by a vile,
perhaps add a teleporter back up to the start for maxing purposes, i acidentally fell down and couldn't kill everything up there

24: fun finale, the cross shaped YK section literally cleared itself without me doing anything perhaps change some triggers

1 hour ago, tourniquet said:

the rest shen18-24_TNq.zip

here comes the fun part, i think the last few maps are the one's i enjoyed the most

18: good midi choice, the start is brutal but the rest plays quite alright, barely had enough ammo to kill all viles but gladly there's a berserk

19: phew the start is a real stinker, i wish you'd hand out a shotgun right away, died countless times whist trying to get foothold and having just the pistol sucks.
      struggled a lot with ammo in the sewer section had to rely on infighting to progress, the cyb fight was fun. Also nice Going Down homage

20: cool RL centric map, i like it

21: looks tough at first glance but there are tons of resources, had a blast

either add a way to get out of the trenches down in the central area or make them damaging

Thanks for all of these demos and your comments, they've been really useful with helping me figure out some slight changes that need to be made to the maps.

I'm glad you seemed to enjoy yourself overall here!

Map specific comments:

10 - Wanted to do a mario galaxy homage map since I saw the island hopping thing from Eviternity. Fair enough about the RL fight, this was the last map to get finished and I did rush it a bit.

14 - Suprised you liked this one, cause I kind of hate it (not really sure why)

17 - Didn't realise how easy it was to cheese (always sort of had it in my head of "oh yeah its fine if someone wants to pacifist the map" but it's less fun seeing it happen) so I'll probably fix that (and similar to the other maps which are very easy do that to)

19 - I'll add a shotgun to the start because while it played out how I intended, I can completely understand that it might not have been that fun. Probably also going to change the sewer section a bit (mostly adding more ammo so you dont have to rely on a mancubus clearing out the ambushes)

20 - Was fun to see someone activate all the switches at once, didn't really try to do that when I was making the map.

21 - Very glad you liked this map, I'd like to do more maps in this style in the future because I enjoy them. I meant to make the blood damaging, I just forgot I think.

24 - Was entertaining to see someone who's better at the game than me do this map, cause you had a much easier time than I was expecting (not sure how the archviles died so quickly in the final fight though!) Think you triggered the yellow key fight by mistake when looking at it, but I'll have to fix the triggers there because that's the most fun (and difficult) fight in the level and it'd be a shame if you can skip it by mistake!

I wasn't expecting to get a full playthrough so early after releasing this so thank you so much for that, it's really made my day watching all these demos and I'm working on a small update to address a lot of the problems you mention here.

26 minutes ago, finnks13 said:

not sure how the archviles died so quickly in the final fight though!

Double checked my demo and the map itself, i guess they were already dead when i got up there. Seems like the nearby cybie got aggroed by a random lost soul or caco and killed them all, long before i got up there.

Glad i could help, thematically a bit all over the place but it's a really decent effort for being made in just a month, was fun to play through it, good job =)

Thanks to @tourniquet's feedback and demos, I've updated the wad a bit. Not made any massive changes to the maps, mostly just small things like a bit of extra ammo and health where it was necessary and fixing any inescapable pits or other major bugs which I was able to find. A full changelog is in the zip file for the wad if you want to have a look.

The maps which are changed the most are 19 and 24 (19 has a lot more ammo and some of the fights have been changed a bit and 24 has some fights changed as well as making the BFG less stupid to get). 

If you've got the old version and are mid-playthrough, I'd recommend using this version because it's a bit better.

I'm going to work on a more major update at some point soon so I can change some of the fights I'm less happy with and to take on board more feedback.

Download link is here and also in the OP.

Having a go at this, even though it's a bit above my station :) I love the OTEX use (of course!) and so far the maps are all unique and creative!