Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grain of Salt

Wormwood: Expanded Universe (boom comp halloween maps by Ribbiks and Me)

Halloween's dynamic duo knocks it out of the park again.

Spoiler

I've been watching Ribbiks's blog, and the bouncy Cyberdemon fight in Map 01 still shocked me. So much technical genius in this WAD.

OK, with ribbiks as author there's a reason to recommend hmp. :) 

Love his map names. 

Well haven't heard from you in a while as I'm not much of a boom player but I feel good memories when first coming to doomworld interesting wad I will see about playing it

I've recorded some low effort UV-Max demos for the first three maps since they're short and not hard. wemaxes.zip

Map01: UV-Max in 0:54 (also reality)

I wasn't even aiming for reality, most of my attempts ended in death, so I was quite lucky here. Aside from the main gimmick, I also like how the switches in the cyberdemon fight can give you some temporary peace from the bouncing rockets.

Map02: UV-Max in 1:22

The main fight is quite lethal if you don't make the right decisions quickly, but it's not too hard, especially if you avoid wasting shells (but I did waste them on my first exit, so I had to finish the hell knights with the pistol and fist.) I'm not sure if SR50 is mandatory for the platforming at the end, but I ended up using it.

Map03: UV-Max in 4:38

Really cool puzzle-y map that makes very clever use of the bouncy walls. I think the rocket launcher area is my favorite.

Map04 is way harder than the first three maps, so I played it on HMP with saves. That tightly confined fight with the cyberdemon and horde of imps/cacos followed by PEs/revs was what made me stop playing UV. I was warned.

I'll play the other maps later.

Map 03 first stage looks like a firing squad executing a master jedi. The third place when you "put on" the rockets reminds me of agricultural labors, I don't know why.

Great wad! Sad ending :(

PD.: map 33 can't be run in PrBoom+?

I've played the remaining maps with saves on HMP (and UV for 33). Basically, they're great, and evil.

10 minutes ago, Rednov said:

Map 03 first stage looks like a firing squad executing a master jedi. The third place when you "put on" the rockets reminds me of agricultural labors, I don't know why.

Great wad! Sad ending :(

PD.: map 33 can't be run in PrBoom+?

Map33 can be run in PrBoom+, but you need the command line. -warp 33

17 hours ago, YeOldeFellerNoob said:

I don't want the stinky EU version, I want the better NTSC Version, as that has 60 FPS.

Tsk. We all know Japan (rev 1) is the definitive version, provided you set the difficulty dip switches to "normal".

Brilliant maps, thanks for posting.

the bouncy walls in map 3 are really cool.

in map 4, i tried to figure out how to use the bouncy walls in the middle advantageously, but could not.   at the end too, they just same to make your life hard; i wish there was a trick to get infighting, but it is just so dangerous there. oh well.

map31 is a lot of fun.  32 and 33 quite tricky.

also: apparently i created this account in 2004 and posted no messages.  i guess there was a db wipe at some point?  surely i posted something ...

20 hours ago, CrazyDoomguy said:

looks like magnolia style

map 4 has similarities to magnolia but is different in various ways.  while it is not as hand-crafted and ornate as parts of magnolia, i feel that ribbiks has further refined his lua or whatever magic he does to get all these characteristic details.  e.g., the floor pattern in the final cyb fight of map 4 is really beautiful.

also it is like 100x easier than magnolia map 3.  still a very challenging map, but magnolia map 3 is totally bonkers.

also, glorious "minor" cyberdemons.  what a great enemy.