Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomduck12367

What is most annoying doom mappers do?

Nothing. You get doom levels for free. If you don't like a project, don't play it. There's plenty of variety and quantity to go about to satiate pretty much any niche taste out there.

22 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

ugh when mappers put two archviles in the same megawad ugh they think so hardcore stop doing this u tr0lls 

how in the same? i thought he's the end boss.

2 hours ago, Firedust said:

Nothing. You get doom levels for free. If you don't like a project, don't play it. There's plenty of variety and quantity to go about to satiate pretty much any niche taste out there.

Ok that's perfectly fine!

Finally making my way through the Doom II Master Levels after all these years. Not bad so far generally but then I came to Fistula. Fuck me senseless, what an ATROCIOUS map. I cannot remember the last time a map made me actively angry like this one did. Every other aspect of it's design is specifically done to DISRUPT gameplay flow. Right out of the starting blocks you get a bit where you cannot pass cleanly from one room to the next. You have to carefully maneuver. But worst of all, two of the three keys were completely pointless. You get one key, go to the relevant locked area and immediately get another key with no resistance. Second verse, same as the first. Only the third key actually did something useful. That is a definite design no no. Do not waste the player's time.

EDIT: I should mention, I had already passed the two locked areas in getting to the first initial key. So it was just pointless backtracking.

Edited by Murdoch

On 11/2/2020 at 3:15 AM, AtticTelephone said:

Why hasn't this thread been locked yet? Anyways, I don't like it when mappers completely avoid FIREBLU just because "it looks ugly". No it does not! FIREBLU is actually a representation of 90's special effects. You ever seen that scene in Children of the Corn where a weird light crawls over the ground and onto the cross that Isaac is tied to, and then the cross blasts into the sky? The special effects were primitive, but also, well, special. That's what FIREBLU is, 90's special effects.

custom texture sets exists because textures like fireblue exists as part of the default doom texture set

fireblue et. al. was ugly in the 90s and it is ugly now, 30 years later...

same with atleast half the voxels in blood and shadow warrior.

I have the same problem with freedoom textures, except the quality of those are worse on average

Not in the map itself, but in the release. I just absolutely love going into Doomworld and seeing "My first wad" followed by "My new wad" proceeded by "First wad." Just fills me with joy to see everyone putting in minimum effort. Just call it something stupid like Onslaught From the Base or something.

(Onslaught From the Base was the name of my first map and I still hate myself over it)

8 minutes ago, N1ck said:

Not in the map itself, but in the release. I just absolutely love going into Doomworld and seeing "My first wad" followed by "My new wad" proceeded by "First wad." Just fills me with joy to see everyone putting in minimum effort. Just call it something stupid like Onslaught From the Base or something.

(Onslaught From the Base was the name of my first map and I still hate myself over it)

I don't have a problem with people calling their first wad "my first wad" because I like giving feedback on "my first wad" wads. But everything after that needs to have a title. Preferably, even the first wad should have a title, but naming the actual thread "my first wad" isn't an issue to me.

On 11/1/2020 at 11:35 PM, GarrettChan said:

Do you mean Plutonia has an absurd quantity of monsters or it's a good example for NOT having many monsters?

Only one map in Plutonia has more than 200 monsters, and many maps feature only two digits monster counts.

Wat, for me always I played it I died 2,000 times by an army of demons LOL!

On 11/2/2020 at 1:33 AM, Raleigh said:

For me is have an absurd quantity of monsters (Plutonia is a good example) but I saw that on a ton of pwads.

my mom told me to use IDDQD

Badly implemented ambushes. Although it's not easy to make an ambush that doesn't look like the author just wanted to be a dick for the sake of being a dick.

Making a switch badly placed, like some switch opening a door a mile away and now you have to fight your way if you even wanna backtrack to find said opened door. Ugh.

Using the blue water texture on a painful floor with no explanation

Edited by Untamed64

Making a game-breaking map bug that may lock you forever and make you completely unable to progress and finish the map (without cheating).

An example of such bug I experienced myself: in one map, there is an arena-like place and when you enter it, a door closes behind you and traps you in arena, which you must leave the other way. However, just while entering the arena, I was able to quickly step backwards just before the entrance door closed and leave the arena, but I could not enter the arena back again, because the entrance door was not openable again from the outside. I was locked off and completely stuck and unable to finish the map. I was forced to use cheats to finish the map, which I really HATE to do.

45 minutes ago, Hisymak said:

Making a game-breaking map bug that may lock you forever and make you completely unable to progress and finish the map (without cheating).

An example of such bug I experienced myself: in one map, there is an arena-like place and when you enter it, a door closes behind you and traps you in arena, which you must leave the other way. However, just while entering the arena, I was able to quickly step backwards just before the entrance door closed and leave the arena, but I could not enter the arena back again, because the entrance door was not openable again from the outside. I was locked off and completely stuck and unable to finish the map. I was forced to use cheats to finish the map, which I really HATE to do.

That's called a softlock, it happens sometimes. It's annoying for sure, but it's just an oversight by the mapper(s), they don't do it on purpose. One of the most common issue found during testing, or even after a wad is finished and uploaded to the archive.

1 hour ago, Hisymak said:

It's even more fun in co-op or solo-net, where the map doesn't reset if you die and restart. No cheats to get you past it, either.

48 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

but it's just an oversight by the mapper(s), they don't do it on purpose

I understand that, but an advanced and experienced mapper should be aware of similar locks and barriers in the map progression and always add an option to reopen a door or other kind of way-blockage from the outside, for the case a cooperative or different game mode is played, where for example when players die they respawn on map start and can continue playthrough on current map state.

I have experience with this myself - I created my map where I did something similar, and when it was released, I tried to host in on Skulltag online server and play with people, and this kind of problem happened. I needed to fix my map, so since that I'm trying to be aware of this.

55 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

softlock

Why "soft" lock? Isn't this supposed to be called hardlock?

By softlock, I always understood the situation when my way is not physically blocked by map geometry, but when for example I'm facing lot of hard monsters without enough weapons, health, ammo or anything and the situation is practically unbeatable without cheating or trying 1000 times and relying on extreme luck.

1 hour ago, Hisymak said:

Why "soft" lock? Isn't this supposed to be called hardlock?

My understanding is that a hardlock is when the game completely crashes or otherwise becomes literally unplayable (eg, when an allegedly vanilla-compatible WAD was never actually tested in vanilla and exceeds the engine's static limits). A softlock is when normal gameplay remains possible, but pointless, due to meaningful progress or even survival being rendered impossible.

On 11/2/2020 at 12:52 PM, Super Mighty G said:

Given your recent behavior it's apparent that you made this thread to see what annoying garbage you could stuff into maps. Begone.

So what if he does?

He could make it a useful informative map to highlight the do's and don'ts of Doom mapping.

15 minutes ago, Untamed64 said:

So what if he does?

He could make it a useful informative map to highlight the do's and don'ts of Doom mapping.

The og Mock.wad served that purpose. Its sequel was more about jokes, though.

Would be neat to see more maps built with bad level design in mind.

Not making maps because of overthinking.

I'm a very annoying mapper.

Inescapable pits, that don't even have the courtesy of being damaging.

Getting shot in the back as soon as you start a level.

"Frugal" ammo balancing, AKA "two shells for three imps".

Gameplay centered on starving the player of ammo and health and forcing him to trade one for the other.

One-time activated doors and switches that cut off progression or even just secrets.

As someone else already mentioned, anything that only makes sense/is survivable with hindsight.