Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ricki

Generations Arena

I don't know if anyone has posted info on this before, so i'll post it anyway. It is a newish mod for Quake 3 Arena in which you can use the Original Doom space marine, weapons and all in an online battle. You can also use quake 1, 2, etc weapons but since I'm a huge doom fan like most of you, I mainly use the Doom Marine.
You can download Generations Arena from: http://www.planetquake.com/wirehead/generations/index.shtml
And you can download Doom 1 and Doom 2 maps for it from: http://www.deja-review.com/reviews/default.asp?gid=4
All of the original Doom 1 and 2 weapons are used and are beautifully modelled. Most of the Doom 1 and 2 levels that you can download are well designed, with only minor changes added to them. If you have Quake 3 then I suggest you download it ASAP, because it would have to be the best Quake 3 mod i have ever played. Check it out. :)

P.S. I had no idea which forum to post this in so flame away if need be, I just thought you guys would like this info.
Here are 2 screens:
http://www.planetquake.com/wirehead/generations/images/shot6.jpg
http://www.planetquake.com/wirehead/generations/images/shot3.jpg

Those storylines are SO cheesy and fucked up imo.
Btw, that wasn't a direct link to the place where the download link for the mod is, it's only a link to the site itself.
Now where the Hell can I download that mod? I checked the file section and as far as I can see there are only map packs and patches.
Where is the damn mod itself?

heheh, yeah i just read some posts from a while back about it. But it is still under development so i don't class it as old. I thought people who didn't know about it, like me would like it. I think it's great!

Bah, I can't run it. When I try to launch it I get this nice Wirehead logo cinematic before it crashes with the line in that blue windows console:FS_FOpenFileRead: NULL 'file' parameter passed

Now I may be stupid and it may just be some minor thing that I need to set up first, but as of now I haven't a clue what that thing's damn problem is. Could someone point that out to me?

Yes, I did follow the installation instructions and unpacked the contents of the archive into the Q3A folder and yes, it did make a nice Generations folder within my Q3A folder in which it put all the Generations files into and yes, I tried to start it up with a number of different methods (including the running it from the Windows 'run' menu, adding the command line parameters).

As of now, I haven't a single clue as to what the blinking red error message in the blue console actually means (the one I mentioned above), if I had I might not even be asking for help in this thread.

I'm running this under Win98

Sorry but i don't know what that problem would be, as i haven't had any trouble with it so far. Maybe if you ask on the Generations Arena forum, they could help you. :)

Ricki said:

Sorry but i don't know what that problem would be, as i haven't had any trouble with it so far. Maybe if you ask on the Generations Arena forum, they could help you. :)

I have found out, I think.
It's apparently because Gen arena requires one of the newest patches out there (1.30 - it feels like less than half a year has passed since I last downloaded a new patch, how come it's already obsolete!?).

Don't you just hate it when mods require a certain higher-than-release-version of a game? :-P

Hey.. this is a cool mod.. i have heard about it.. but never downloaded it.. but i finally doing it now.. 58% done

Essentially every mod for every game ever requires the latest version of the game to work properly. Good job. Anyway, get 1.31, it's the final release.

Katarhyne said:

Anyway, get 1.31, it's the final release.

Funny, I'm downloading 1.32 right now, so I'm not downloading the real final release? ;-)

Katarhyne said:

Ah, sorry. My memory fails it. :/ 1.32 is the final release.

Oh, no need to apologize, we all forget things and make silly errors, like a certain Doom 3 Forum Moderator did yesterday, *A-HEM*
/Me whistles and looks the other way.

Anyways, it was indeed because of version incompatibilities, I got it up and running. So far, I like the Q2 weapon models best - maybe they were the ones they did last?

The Doom db shotgun (and sb shotgun) are the shotguns I like the best, but only because of sound - 1) I don't like how they look like older-than-modern shotguns and 2) the sb Doom shotgun looks like a black stick in the first person (fp) view.

The Doom plasma gun is my favorite high-speed energy weapon when it comes to overall feel, but the Q2 hyperblaster clearly has the looks.
The Doom and Q2 BFGs both have nice plasma effects (the same effect), but I think the Doom BFG itself looks kinda artificial compared to most of the other weapons - I just don't like it.

My favorite weapon in Gen A by far is the Q2 chaingun. It sounds and feels great imo and it burns away bullets fast - just the way I like it :-]

So far I find that Gen arena is far more fun than Q3A - maybe because it has all the weapons from Doom 2, Quake and Quake 2. So thanks Ricki, for encouraging me to d/l it :-)

Well, unless they've updated, a lot of the weapons aren't animated yet. They're just placeholder art. Also, the Doom shotguns ARE "older-style" shotguns. There's no such thing as a "modern" double-barrel shotgun, and pump shotguns have only changed in the sense that they make them in black plastic instead of wood (unless you go to something exotic like the Beretta M3P or the Franchi-SPAS 12. I've never cared for the SPAS-12's looks, and while the M3P is extremely cool-looking, the pump version would never ever be on a military base.

Besides, look at the shotguns IN Doom. They're quite "old-looking".

Well, they could have been made with fake wood texturing to appeal to some weapon designer's vanity.

Such a modification would have no effect on functionality.

Katarhyne said:

Well, unless they've updated, a lot of the weapons aren't animated yet. They're just placeholder art. Also, the Doom shotguns ARE "older-style" shotguns. There's no such thing as a "modern" double-barrel shotgun, and pump shotguns have only changed in the sense that they make them in black plastic instead of wood (unless you go to something exotic like the Beretta M3P or the Franchi-SPAS 12. I've never cared for the SPAS-12's looks, and while the M3P is extremely cool-looking, the pump version would never ever be on a military base.

Besides, look at the shotguns IN Doom. They're quite "old-looking".

A bunch of sprites? You gotta be kidding me. I've done lots of drawings where I made the Doom weapons as true to the game as possible AND made them look slightly more futuristic, so you can forget about convincing me that the Doom weapons are old looking.

When I first played Doom, the weapons gave me the impression of being basically modern weapons. I would prefer the weapons in Gen arena to have the same feel to them and not look like weapons from the 19th century.

Little Faith said:

Well, they could have been made with fake wood texturing to appeal to some weapon designer's vanity.

Such a modification would have no effect on functionality.

This is true. However, having wood on them also has no effect on functionality.

DSM, you realize that the pistol and shotgun in Doom have not changed in function or design since the early 20th century, right? The double-barrel shotgun has been around since the middle 19th century. Changing their look does not change their functionality, and as such there is no reason to change their look other than simple preference or aesthetics.

Katarhyne said:

DSM, you realize that the pistol and shotgun in Doom have not changed in function or design since the early 20th century, right? The double-barrel shotgun has been around since the middle 19th century. Changing their look does not change their functionality, and as such there is no reason to change their look other than simple preference or aesthetics.

Damn straight, and that is exactly why I would prefer them to look a little different. Basically, I just prefer to see weapons fit in with the game world (as far as looks is concerned - I usually don't care if they function seemingly the same as 20th/21st century weapons).

It's easier for me to cheat myself into believing that those weapons fit into the game universe if they look like they belong there.

But that's just my opinion.
/Me looks at Doom 3 pics and is pleased to see that the weapons shown in these pics look futuristic, yet not too über-futuristic.