• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catpho

DBP29: Morbid Autumn

wow, another DBP!

You guys are fapping machines!

Mapping, i mean mapping.

I'm the fapping machine to your mapping skills, guys!

Gonna try this when i get home ;)

Tested first two levels with GZDooM HMP. Very impressive. This looks visually quite different from the previous DBP releases. I mean previously I could tell just from the looks if a WAD was a DBP project. Now I couldn't tell... they just look awesome without the distinctive DBP raw feeling :)

Some issues I encountered:

MAP01: It's possible to get to the outer limits from here and get stuck there

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20201102_154519.png_compressed.jpg.38c528b85e68e3ac9d760988471861ab.jpg

Not sure if this was MAP01 or MAP02 but I had some issues with this non-standard key. I think it somehow disappeared before I could take it and it did not show up in the inventory. I was able to open the door though. This happened with GZDooM 4.5.0

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20201102_155658.png_compressed.jpg.362a513580002509b3fff9d9f5ffbfbe.jpg

So far I've only finished MAP01 on HMP, definitely a wake-up call of a first level especially if the very first thing you do is turn around and shoot through the transparent midtexture behind you on the off-chance that doing so is the trigger for a secret of some kind.  I'm loving the atmosphere but there are a couple of things that are possible bugs:

• It's possible for the player to fall from sector 858 into the north end of sector 328; indeed, a player may do so deliberately thinking it's the entrance to a secret area.  All it seems to lead to, though, is a barren rocky area with no items and no way of getting back up.
  • Sectors 823 through 828 are marked as secret (sector effect 9) but I don't think it's possible to stand in any of these sectors; the player can access the adjacent secret sector 331 to collect the secret item there and I feel like that's the only sector in this particular cluster that needs to be marked as secret.

I'm looking forward to what the rest of the WAD holds - the setting is great, a gothic twist on Hexen commingled with classic Doom gameplay.

Randomly decided to play through this. Map06 rubbed me the wrong way so i didn't finish that map. 40oz mapping and thematic work solid as expected. Shoutout to sonny666 who i think is fairly new to the scene and made a pretty smart map here. Those pseudo-keys were pretty unusual.

Edited by Scotty

Keeping on with this at my own pace...

MAP03 provides an interesting diversion from an environment made up primarily of castles to one that's first and foremost a cavern level, with chunks of medieval architecture embedded within the cave system like the buried remnants of some latter-day Pompeii.  One thing that might be worth revisiting is the trap in the south-eastern corner of the map; if the player's health and armour are okay when they enter that area (mine were, though I'm playing on HMP continuous so my experience may be atypical) then they might choose not to grab the megasphere right away, which means they're dealing with the hitscanners in the wings, hitting the two side switches, and blasting the arch-vile all without turning loose the monster horde that they can hear in its adjacent waiting rooms and can see the clearly designated warp-in spots for.  I ended up grabbing the megasphere only as I was dashing through the teleporter to leave the cellar, with something of a resigned, "I don't really need this, but I can't get out without running over it," sigh, teleporting back to the bridge completely unaware of the monsters repopulating the cellar following my departure.  Then if the player wants to revisit that area and deal with the ambush after the fact, the monsters tend to cluster around the area where the player drops into the cellar and with infinitely tall actors that can make dropping down or even effectively shooting down quite tricky.  I'm not sure what the best way is to redesign that particular trigger so that the player is compelled to activate the trap even if they're trying to avoid the megasphere.

Love me some Doomer Board Penetration! So far what I've played is really good, and some of the midi choices here are fucking awesome, they greatly contribute to the atmosphere.

Does anyone have a list of the midis used in this wad? I'm away from my PC so I can't check the text file.

@TheMagicMushroomMan Here you go:

MAP       Music

MAP01 | MAP09 from bmystery.wad
MAP02 | MAP02 from scythe2.wad
MAP03 | Joy Division
MAP04 | Norwich Lane by sonny666
MAP05 | E1M8 from WEXMAN4D.wad
MAP06 | Король и шут - Проклятый старый дом
MAP07 | Blood MIDI 1
MAP08 | Volcano Valley Act 2 from Sonic 3D Blast
MAP09 | Intermission from D2XGOLD.wad
MAP10 | MAP31 from sd.wad

So I've kept on going a little further into this.

MAP04 and MAP05 are somewhat similar in pacing, with long slow burns connection short sharp shocks of action, but they present very different environments, the former a tangle of deteriorating Gothic grandeur in its autumnal rural setting, while the latter all but drags the player underground to a chthonic realm of churning magma and wafting brimstone, a great fiery abyss that must be crossed like Doom's cousin to the Bridge of Khazad-Dum.  I feel the ebb and flow of action better fits the spooky atmosphere of the former, but both are really solid maps.  MAP04 has a lot of implied narrative going on with its flavourful, clearly delineated, and lavishly detailed subregions; I was definitely thinking of it, as I explored, in terms of "start out in the stables, here's the old manor house, now we're digging through the catacombs before making our way to the wizard's laboratory and finally to the church that we passed by on the way there," - every part of the map has its own distinctive feeling and sense of implied purpose without feeling at all disjointed.  I did lose a pile of health escaping the catacombs, but that was down to my own tunnel vision when rushing to deal with the arch-viles before they could bring any more of the dead back to haunt me.

4 hours ago, Catpho said:

@TheMagicMushroomMan Here you go:

MAP       Music

MAP01 | MAP09 from bmystery.wad
MAP02 | MAP02 from scythe2.wad
MAP03 | Joy Division
MAP04 | Norwich Lane by sonny666
MAP05 | E1M8 from WEXMAN4D.wad
MAP06 | Король и шут - Проклятый старый дом
MAP07 | Blood MIDI 1
MAP08 | Volcano Valley Act 2 from Sonic 3D Blast
MAP09 | Intermission from D2XGOLD.wad
MAP10 | MAP31 from sd.wad

Thank you so much! Can't wait to sit down and really get into these maps.

Will download and play once I have some time on my hands. Love the dbp's, always interesting and distinct, with just the right number of maps to get through without it feeling like a slog. 

This look gorgeous! I love how red, black and brown are aligned. I want to play it asap

11 hours ago, Catpho said:

MAP03 | Joy Division

The music is Shadowplay. Great choice btw

Edited by Noiser

On the first map, the first secret right around the corner at the start has 6 of the 8 secrets piled on top of each other.

Hi everyone, back with another UV max playthrough. Full playlist:

Stellar work as usual, on point visuals. The only map I can say I didn't really enjoy was 'Deathwhistle', but in general it's another great entry. Thank you to the creators!