Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMagicMushroomMan

My very first WAD! (It sucks)

What you get in this wad:

No height variation!

Repetitive texturing!

No secrets! Not even one!!!

About two and a half minutes of gameplay!

An excuse to try the Gothic Doom skins (included)!

Requires GzDoom for Gothic Doom skins

No jumping/crouching (unless you want to bump your head on the low ceiling)

Not sold yet? Here are some screenshots!

Uses the Gothic texture set from Realm667 and Gothic Doom mod from HorrorMovieGuy

Music: midi edit of Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath

Just run all files included with GzDoom.

I made this map because I had an interest in simple maps without height variation, and because I am new to mapping, so I wanted to start off with something simple. I enjoy the thought of making simple and modular Wolf3D-like maps that focus on linear, arcade style gameplay.

Screenshot_Doom_20201103_003831.png

Screenshot_Doom_20201103_003849.png

Screenshot_Doom_20201103_003909.png

Screenshot_Doom_20201103_003925.png

Screenshot_Doom_20201103_004003.png

GlassPrison.rar

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

Here's my first attempt:

The textures and sprites do make it look decent and different from standard Doom, but the gameplay doesn't have much going for it, in part because of the lack of height variation (which I assume is by design).

7 minutes ago, Pseudonaut said:

Here's my first attempt:

The textures and sprites do make it look decent and different from standard Doom, but the gameplay doesn't have much going for it, in part because of the lack of height variation (which I assume is by design).

Thanks for playing it my friend! I wanted to make a simple map that works correctly before getting into height variation and everything else. Just wanted to get the basics right. For my next map I'll probably keep this general aesthetic and create something more complex. I've been playing Doom since I was about ten years old, but never got into mapping. I know this map isn't anything special, but I'm pretty proud that I was able to put it together in a few hours with little experience mapping. Plus I wanted to spread the word about Gothic Doom, probably my favorite aesthetic mod ever. I think it really fits the atmosphere of darker wads like Hellbound or Coffin Curse. Thanks again for taking the time to play!

Don't depreciate yourself like that, especially when you're learning how things work and play. Besides, congrats with first map release, first step is done,now you need move forward :) 

Something tells me the purpose of this thread is to take a jab at the newbies rather than seriously promote your first wad.

I fucking hope I'm wrong with that assumption, because that's not cool.

In my opinion thats was pretty simple fun, of course its need some detail change and monster change. Anyway pretty fun 6/10!

9 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Something tells me the purpose of this thread is to take a jab at the newbies rather than seriously promote your first wad.

I fucking hope I'm wrong with that assumption, because that's not cool.

I don't know why you would think that, I was just sarcastically letting everyone know that I recognize the faults in my map. I didn't make a map to make fun of anyone. But I don't see anything wrong with making fun of my own work, I was just being honest about what's in the map in a smartass kind of way. Sorry you took it that way, I didn't realize the post came across like that. I don't test maps by new players as much as a lot of other people do, but I try to help them and give them advice when I can. And a good majority of peoples' first wads are probably a lot better than mine anyway. I've been here long enough to know that the map won't appeal to most people. What made you think something like that?

If you go to my post history, you can see that I posted a thread about wanting to make a wad that had simple Wolf3d-like maps with basic, modular layouts and no height variation a few hours before I posted this map. I also wanted more people to see the Gothic Doom skins, so I included them with my map.

I released the map because it's the first map I've made and I thought the map's aesthetic was at least interesting enough to share. I was just recognizing the problems with my map. I didn't mess with things like height variation because I wanted to start out simple and focus on learning basic techniques before I start making more complex things. I just wanted to make a simple map that works. To be honest, you accusing me of something like that is kind of offensive. I made some jokes about my map so that means I'm "taking a jab at newbies"? Your "assumption" is more like an accusation, I don't really appreciate it to be honest, "because that's not cool". But hopefully this clears it up for you.

To @Misty @The Bug @waciejthanks for the feedback and for playing my map!!

14 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I don't know why you would think that, I was just sarcastically letting everyone know that I recognize the faults in my map. I didn't make a map to make fun of anyone. But I don't see anything wrong with making fun of my own work, I was just being honest about what's in the map in a smartass kind of way. Sorry you took it that way, I didn't realize the post came across like that. I don't test maps by new players as much as a lot of other people do, but I try to help them and give them advice when I can. And a good majority of peoples' first wads are probably a lot better than mine anyway. What made you think something like that?

Right, I apologize in that case. I just got that feeling from this thread after reading some of your posts here - namely this one - but it looks as though I jumped into the wrong conclusion too quickly. In my defense, though, I think anyone who had that context would've passed the same judgment. Sarcasm is hard to convey through mere text, and the way you phrased your OP is easy to misinterpret as such.

But to conclude, once again, I'm sorry for being so unfair towards you. I'm man enough to acknowledge when I've made a mistake.

20 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

Right, I apologize in that case. I just got that feeling from this thread after reading some of your posts here - namely this one - but it looks as though I jumped into the wrong conclusion too quickly. In my defense, though, I think anyone who had that context would've passed the same judgment. Sarcasm is hard to convey through mere text, and the way you phrased your OP is easy to misinterpret as such.

But to conclude, once again, I'm sorry for being so unfair towards you. I'm man enough to acknowledge when I've made a mistake.

It's alright man, not a big deal. The reason I was upset with that user is because he made a map he wanted people to test, but it was just a big hallway filled with a damaging lava sector and a spider mastermind shooting at you until you die. It wasn't even a joke map, it was a map that kills you pretty much as soon as you spawn. Then he made that thread. I don't have a problem with maps by newbies, even if they are filled with issues, but I do have a problem with taking the time to test someone's map only to find out it's a complete waste of time. 

Anyway, I apologize too if you thought I made this map/thread as an insult towards anyone. I wouldn't do that. I don't have a problem with anyone posting maps regardless of their level of experience or the quality of the maps they are posting. As long as it's not something that is a literal waste of time with no point that insults the people taking the time to test it, but that map by the user I was referring to earlier is the only map like that I've seen posted here, thankfully.

I also added a description to my original post to hopefully clear up my reasoning behind making the wad.

I like this wad, having no height difference makes it so you're not wandering the map for 10 minutes wondering where you're supposed to go.

I gave you my last wad, so the least I can do is play yours.

Played it some moments ago, enemies size could be increased at least in folder enemies, but the final room it's was a great place to circle strafe, textures also work great to give directions and feel of progression instead of stock textures.

I can't tried it, pal!

My PC literally hates new GZDoom builds.

But i've seen Pseudonant walkthrought and i liked it so far :)

For a first map, and trying the basics is pretty good.

And i have a litte idea for a project that may entertain you.

Save this map as first try.

Then try new things on the next version, for example, height variations, just that.

Upload it and show the progress you made.

Then a next one, with raising and lowering sectors.

And so and so, putting every map on a different map slot and adding just a few things that work with the feature presented in that map.

You will learn a lot, will grasp the basics, and also work toward a project that may become something better.

what do you think?

Maybe i will take that idea and made something, too, but in Boom/MBF :)

EDIT: is there a version of this aesthetic mod compatible with non zdoom base ports?

I think its really cool and could be of good use for this idea.

Edited by P41R47

3 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

...Okay, what's with the Bitcoin miner though?

It's a present! It makes me money while you play my wad!

(Just kidding, it's an empty .exe file.)

Actually, it would be cool if everyone included a bitcoin miner with their wads so they can make money while people play their maps. But that would be a terrible, terrible idea that would inevitably kill the Doom community, so maybe not.

4 hours ago, P41R47 said:

I can't tried it, pal!

My PC literally hates new GZDoom builds.

But i've seen Pseudonant walkthrought and i liked it so far :)

For a first map, and trying the basics is pretty good.

And i have a litte idea for a project that may entertain you.

Save this map as first try.

Then try new things on the next version, for example, height variations, just that.

Upload it and show the progress you made.

Then a next one, with raising and lowering sectors.

And so and so, putting every map on a different map slot and adding just a few things that work with the feature presented in that map.

You will learn a lot, will grasp the basics, and also work toward a project that may become something better.

what do you think?

Maybe i will take that idea and made something, too, but in Boom/MBF :)

EDIT: is there a version of this aesthetic mod compatible with non zdoom base ports?

I think its really cool and could be of good use for this idea.

Sounds like a great idea! I want to progress slowly so my maps don't turn into a giant clusterfuck of inexperience. And I think the good folks who made Gothic Doom are working on a vanilla compatible version :)

Enjoyable :) Thank you for letting me know gothic doom exists, I really dig that aestethic... question though, why does the last room require a red key when there are no keys on the map... ?

Screenshot_Doom_20201104_092219.png

45 minutes ago, Trupiak said:

Enjoyable :) Thank you for letting me know gothic doom exists, I really dig that aestethic... question though, why does the last room require a red key when there are no keys on the map... ?

Exit signs are commonly also signified as a red line/sector/etc.

24 minutes ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Exit signs are commonly also signified as a red line/sector/etc.

Oh, I didn't know that. My issue was actually that pressing use on the wall didn't exit the level, so I assumed a key was needed. I opened it in ultimate doom builder and found out that  you actually need to press the red line which is above you... so you have to press the air or literally the exit signs if you use freelook. I played this map multiple times to be sure and somehow never figured that out.

52 minutes ago, Trupiak said:

Oh, I didn't know that. My issue was actually that pressing use on the wall didn't exit the level, so I assumed a key was needed. I opened it in ultimate doom builder and found out that  you actually need to press the red line which is above you... so you have to press the air or literally the exit signs if you use freelook. I played this map multiple times to be sure and somehow never figured that out.

Sorry, I never noticed the exit linedef was broken. Not sure how that happened, thanks for pointing it out. And thanks for playing my map multiple times!