Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

The DWIronman League dies to: 2002: A Doom Odyssey: 10th Anniversary Edition Episode 3!

November, 2020

req6Z6v.png

The yearly leader board

Standard Leaderboard

1. 1 - SURVIVED +1 (1:26:10): Bdubzzz - Not even Bosnia nor Ebola could harm Bdubzzz as he did a 2020: Ironman Odyssey to win.
  2. 1 - SURVIVED +0 (1:37:58): ReaperAA - Another comfortable blind survival. Reaper really gunning for it this year!
  3. 1 - SURVIVED +0 (1:46:35): dt_ - Not even Charlie can catch dt_ offguard as he grabbed the key and made Anima proud en route to a survival.
  4. 2 - SURVIVED +0 (1:53:07): Vince Vega - Enters M7 holding onto crutches; exits it in pretty much god mode. How's that for a comeback?
  5. 1 - SURVIVED +0 (1:58:02): Beginner - Almost became a human sandwich but persevered to make the board greener.
  6. 2 - SURVIVED +0 (2:40:30): galileo31dos01 - My life passed before my eyes on E3M3 - not sure how you kept a cool head there! Paid off in the end luckily!
  7. 2 - E3M5: NaZa - Ah yes - but of course - failing to see the obvious secret bit me in the arse. Got splattered.
  8. 1 - E3M3: mtthew - Good stuff for a first-timer!
  9. 1 - E3M3: Arbys550 - I'll write Charlie in the obituary and be fairly sure I didn't screw up.
  10. 3 - E3M3: SSGmaster - Scrapes into the Top 10 on the 25th hour and discovers that behind Door No. 1 is...! 
  11. 2 - E3M3: leodoom85 - Commentator's curse on yourself? That's a new one! Charlie promptly delivered.
  12. 1 - E3M3: Roofi - Rare slip-up on the board, but also a slip-up in Charlie's dens.
  13. ? - E3M3: Anima Zero - Does not go down without a fight - big fan of that! Even the spirit didn't give it up. Splendid.
  14. ? - E3M3: RjY - Slower than Anima entering the level by the slimmest of margins, but joins him at Charlie's.
  15. 1 - E3M3: Fadri - Curse blast damage! Chalk another one for Charlie.
  16. 1 - E3M3: Pseudonaut - The first runner to reveal Charlie; attempted to talk it out of surprising others.
  17. 2 - E3M2: Andromeda - Fell into Bosnia's shallowest lake.
  18. 1 - E3M2: Jason A - Slipped on a lost soul (or a dozen of lost souls) and went Swimming with the Lost Souls, or so Jason thought.
  19. ? - E3M2: seed - The definition of a human sandwich with flawless execution.
  20. 1 - E3M2: NoisyVelvet - Instantly knew what would happen and made peace with his fate. Iz Bosne nema izlaza.
  21. 1 - E3M2: Suitepee - Heard from seed human sandwiches were trending - went to grab one.
  22. 2 - E3M2: ragerat -  An ambitious plan turned into a fatal mistake. At least the caco didn't mind.
  23. 1 - E3M2: beast - Gets his priorities straight in a difficult fight. I mean, not like the baron could ever aim through a closed door, right?
  24. 1 - E3M2: Pegleg - Peekaboo! But hey, you made it out of the first level!
  25. 1 - E3M2: Crusader No Regret - These sandwiches are becoming more and more popular, guys! We're running out of stock!

Prepared Leaderboard

1. # - E3M2: Pegleg - The only competitor this month. Winner, loser, or both? Winner sounds best.

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag at the bottom of the post for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

This month the DWIronman League dies to 2002: A Doom Odyssey 10th Anniversary Edition's Episode 3, -complevel 3. For those still yet unaware, 2002: A Doom Odyssey was a project mainly realized by @pcorf, although this episode has some maps by others such as Sam Woodman, Rory Habich, Chris Hansen. The third episode begins with our favorite color, almost-synonymous with hell - red. But does it remain red throughout the entire episode? A lot of buckshot is about to be exchanged as we travel through a variety of hellish locations, including Bosnia, apparently (living close to Bosnia, I can neither confirm nor deny that Bosnians are demons.) - hellish caves and buildings aplenty, with the exception of M7, are going to be the only thing you will see. Hopefully your runs won't take as long to finish as it took me to write the title.

Essential Info

• (The Ultimate) Doom 1 (doom.wad)
  • Compatibility level 2, or "(Doom (strict))" for ZDoom derivative ports.
  • Time estimate: 1-2 hours maybe?
  • 9 maps. YOU ARE PLAYING EPISODE 3NOT ALL THREE/FOUR EPISODES.
  • GET THE 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION. The original version has a very odd E3M5. 

Download 2002: A Doom Odyssey, 10th Anniversary Edition

prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom.wad -file 2002ad10.wad -complevel 3 -skill 4 -record demo_name.lmp -warp 3 1

Spoiler

• There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:

• To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.

• To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of active (playing the set) preparation that is strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.

• UV only (excepting 1CC format), continuous recording. No pistol-starting each level.
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
  • No additional WADs may be loaded.
  • No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run.
  • No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.
  • If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on the first map of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than his/her competitors will rank higher than them.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.
  • If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.
  • Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will disqualify your run.
  • If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
  2. This is not a blind run. I have familiarity with the set - played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
  3. This is not a blind run. I have passively prepared for the competition - watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous threads:

Spoiler

Edited by NaZa : fixed leo's cat

Oh boy...this will be nearly a cat.2 gameplay for me. I played the set but I need to remember most of the maps.

I think I'll be able to survive this one.

Naza is back at the office ! :D

I played only the first episode of 2002ado so it will be cat.1 for me.

A little heads up: 10th Anniversary's E3M5 has a secret exit that's only meant to be used in mapinfo-compatible ports. For the sake of fairness/consistency, I think everyone should avoid it no matter what port they're using.

57 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

A little heads up: 10th Anniversary's E3M5 has a secret exit that's only meant to be used in mapinfo-compatible ports. For the sake of fairness/consistency, I think everyone should avoid it no matter what port they're using.

I didn't remember that one honestly, considering that the usual secret exit is at M6...

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

I didn't remember that one honestly, considering that the usual secret exit is at M6...

It exits to a super secret Wolfenstein themed level (that's in the E5M2 slot, so outside of E3). Hard to find, but it's easy to avoid if you spot it somehow IIRC.

Recorded on PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 -complevel 3, category 2.

Embarrassing, was expecting to get to E3M6 at least since I remember that's one of the few hard levels of the episode. (E3M2 death - 126/164 kills @ 14:11)

ironman_andromeda_2002ad10.zip

Category 2 

Survived in, according to Crispy, "162 55 09", which is 2:42:09.

Link

I had recollection of several parts including one particular you just never forget, where I had all the luck in the world despite getting horrendously stuck on a fat torch, because had I stayed there to do the thing formally this would have ended earlier, I simply know. No secret level, no other secret level, which I think in recent crispy versions you can warp to EXM0 maps. As far as doom 1 wads, this is one of my least favorites. I still await whatever PCorf has in store for the sequel.

Anyways, as is usual for me, slow and steady wins the race etc, although at least 35 minutes of the demo is doomguy in a corner holding the chaingun as I had to go AFK (do the dishes), somewhere on E3M6 right after the BK switches. You'll notice when I pull out the chainsaw to make my sign, like I did in Abcess. I'm really sorry about it :x

Category 1.

Died in map 3, in the place where I think more people who haven't played the episode might die. :P

Spoiler

The small room with a surprise cyberdemon, of course.

IronMan_2002ADO.zip

Died on E3M5. Didn't feel like taking a screenshot because that whole setup is quite fucked. What makes things worse is the map was so fun up to that point. I got legit triggered. Really ugly and quite bad. If you want, fast forward to E3M3 to watch me forget to take the soulsphere for arguably something quite important and escaping with 23 HP and a rocket sailing past me around 5 pixels to my left.

Category 2. Played E1 fully before, I've scouted through some of E3 before choosing to see how it plays (same with E4 which I also considered!), so I was aware of M3 death room. Didn't really check out the setup on M5 though. 

dwironman_nov20_naza.zip

On 11/3/2020 at 10:38 PM, NaZa said:
  • GET THE 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION. The original version has a very odd E3M5. 

Hey! I dare to disagree. De-Moon Side is one of my favourite Doom maps of all time. It's punishing and unforgiving, it's weird, it can softlock, but it's brilliant!

Survived in 1:53:07. As I UV-Maxed the original 2002: A Doom Odyssey (release 2) back in January of 2014, this was mostly chilling (imagine doing this from pistol start while having way less strong Doom skills?). Still great.

That nostalgic feel again... Love this WAD, no matter first-press or reissue.

Category II (except for E3M5: Blood and Guts, it replaced De-Moon Side in 10th edition). Also missed E3M9 -- just forgot how to get there.

dwiado10.zip

Edited by Vince Vega

https://www.dropbox.com/s/thbjdjghyei1em7/dt02ado.lmp?dl=1

Blind survival, in about 1hr 40

Not to be big headed or anything, but I had zero problems with this wad, no near death experiences, no surprise cyberdemons, barely went less than 50% health.   Please view this asap, and confirm that I've played the correct wad

Missed the secret map though

Survived!!!

Time taken: 1:38:00-ish

Demo: adodemo.zip (Category 1)

Decent UDoom wad with some troublesome encounters, but nothing too scary. Except for the cyberdemon in a small room on E3M3. I ran out of that room like a sissy as soon as I saw that cybie and fortunately survived.

Category 1

Dead on E3M2

Kills: 27/164

Time: 12:29

dwi_pegleg_ad2002e3_cat1.zip

It's usually a poor idea to run at a cacodemon with a shotgun. Sometimes it works, but other times, like this one, it doesn't.

From what I saw of Episode 3, it's a solid mapset. Good texturing, good enemy placement, the traps weren't overly nasty (I didn't make it to E3M3 to feel differently, obviously). It's a reasonable start that's doesn't throw you into the fire right away, and you have a chance to get your footing in each map (at least, in the first two). This wasn't like Base Ganymede, which opens Episode 3 by dumping you out of the frying pan and right into the fire. It was a good selection. I'm looking forward to my prepared run sometime in the next couple days.

Survived the episode in 1:58:02.

Category 1 demo.

Mostly a smooth cruise besides that one moment where I've almost got myself killed in e3m2. I suppose I've also opened secret exit somewhere in e3m6 but still used the regular one like a champ, ha ha.

I recorded my demo at the very beginning of the month.

I died at E3M3 where the cyber is. It was a pretty bad month for me. :)

Category 1

Roofi_E3M3_IM.zip

dead on E3M3 after 22:23 (intermission) / 29:26 (total)

E3M1  EXIT    65/65    0   1/1  2/2   4:49+10   4:49
E3M2  EXIT  158/164    6   3/3  2/4  17:34+04  22:23
E3M3  DEAD  100/315  215  0/10  0/2   7:03+24  22:23

It is one of the great tragedies of Doom PWAD history that 2002ADO did not retain its original name. Would anyone have cared -- or even remembered, after a year or two -- that it missed its release date by a few months?

Anyway, I died on E3M3 when trying to run past the cyberdemon. The room surrounding it is awkward, with knobbly, momentum-stealing corners hampering player movement. There goes any last remaining hope for my start-of-year goal of 600k points (50% of a season's possible total) -- I might not even scrape 500k at this rate.