Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

The Top 25 Sector Ships of All Time

Jimmy, you're amazing. I've thought about doing something like this before, but I knew I'd never be able to remember where I saw all those boats.

There are more than a few maps with boats that I remember playing, but I can't bring back the mapsets' name to mind for a couple of them.

There's this one for Heretic

Doomsday Machine from NDCP

Afterlife from Community_Chest

One for Doom that made use of ZDoom effects to allow to swim under it. We had to go to the boat to get a key. It was next to a small warehouse with the usual Doom crates and stuff. Pretty basic detail level overall IIRC.

Another was a large city's dockyards with two or three cargo boats on it, as well as sector cranes and stuff. Much more advanced detailing, kinda similar to that Interception 2 screenshot but the boats weren't as big.

You missed the ship in Final Heretic Chapter One: The Docks by UltimateLorenzo

EDIT: ok, Gez already noticed this.

So, now I wait for something similar but for starships

Does this count?

odyssey_1.png.1d8e35eab038b9690db6b807958c36ee.png

odyssey_2.png.5f3dcaff9a30f7f2801cd441b5fb0d2a.png

The same WAD has a spaceship too:

odyssey_3.png.f470b97ee89bf008163a819d2e89be2c.png

odyssey_4.png.84be327248edbde165e8650be788a064.png

(it's ODYSSEY.WAD from 1996)

This is the kind of content I like to see on my Doomworld. Easily the best thread about ranking sector boats I've ever seen. Thank you, John Paddock.

Thank you, @Jimmy! That was a really all of sudden, and also very pleasurable!

BTW, there was a ship assault mission in Covert Operations TC:

1.jpg

The cute boat from "The Room below" by TimeOfDeath. Also the trick with the ceiling is amazing. You should check it out

RDH9PA4.jpg

Trying to find out when DWANGO4 was released, but if after Fri 13 May 1994, then SHIP.WAD wasn't the first, it would be EVIL_E.WAD by Ian Suhrstedt ( image from another DW thread where EVIL_E was cited yet again for this ship :) )

Screenshot_Doom_20181101_071804.png

I present Dimensions of Time Map04 for your consideration without comment.

a383l7o.png

Edited by Spie812

23 minutes ago, Roofi said:

The cute boat from "The Room below" by TimeOfDeath. Also the trick with the ceiling is amazing. You should check it out

RDH9PA4.jpg

Unrelated but thank you for this, I have been trying to remember what this WAD was for years.

haha what a great list. I should point out though that essel is entirely responsible for that BTSX E1 boat, I had no hand in it whatsoever D:

I feel a Doom WAD made out of all of these boats should be made in the form of a playable game of Battleship.

Have Zombiemen arm the guns and the oars.

Boats are easily one of the more identifable things in levels, and i am always impressed by them when they are found. Impressed because i can't imagine designing a sector-based boat being an easy task.

Jimmy, you are to be thanked.

1 hour ago, Roofi said:

9dh59We.png

EDIT: How could I forget the SS Radnsmash, unused boat map from Impromptu1, a fine vessel indeed:

Ig2i8xC.png

Edited by Doomkid