Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

The Top 25 Sector Ships of All Time

On 11/6/2020 at 7:18 AM, Khodoque said:

And the following level has an underground sector shipwreck even.

Hide contents

And my own mapset Cool Skies has entire canal lock/freight terminal with several boats as well.

Yeah, 2048 has lots of seafaring vessels, a demonic steamship, its evil coalbarge, a small cruise ship (complete with a turd in the swimming pool), a bunch of motorboats, and a shipwreck!

Man, I should do an oiltanker or something. Fuck, that's a great idea, then I can make the entire southern space of my city map a wharf with a wast expanse of water! That'd save so much time.

Concerning the MS #Nightmare from Alien Vendetta Map03...

That one was actually done by Kim André Malde not Mattias Berggren. Both the cargo ship and the city backdrop at the start of the level are entirely absent in the 2001 original by Mattias Berggren. But for the 2002 re-release Malde went over the map, re-textured every area as well as adding lots of detail including this famous nautical vessel.

I know this thread has lain dormant for over 9 months but i just wanted to mention this since Malde is no longer with us and his contributions to this map are often overlooked despite the fact that both him and Berggren are credited in the text file for the 2002 release. 

In the text file for Alien Vendetta he thanked amongst others " * The guys at irc.net #Nightmare (I finally got OP :-) " which probably explains the name...

17 hours ago, Gregor said:

Concerning the MS #Nightmare from Alien Vendetta Map03...

That one was actually done by Kim André Malde not Mattias Berggren. Both the cargo ship and the city backdrop at the start of the level are entirely absent in the 2001 original by Mattias Berggren. But for the 2002 re-release Malde went over the map, re-textured every area as well as adding lots of detail including this famous nautical vessel.

This is correct information. We didn't overly emphasize Maldes input in Map01 by avoiding an ingame credit, but he definitely did enough on both accounts to receive such, so it was eventually added in Map03.

The name on the ship was picked by me as an ode to our long time hangout on IRC, the place where most of our Doom mapping and speedrunning / deathmatching was discussed. The idea to put a cargo ship in there was entirely his. (The "Sedlo" easter egg unofficial secret was something I had him put in there at some point, as a side note - Mattias trusted us to edit it at our will and was fine with everything).

Edited by Andy Johnsen

On 11/5/2020 at 4:32 PM, Jimmy said:

Join me again next year, when I'll be listing the Top 35 sector tram lines.

The year's not-so-slowly shooting us by, can we expect to see this? 😉

It's very comforting to see long time Doomers still swing by after all these years, there's some very real dedication to the game and its craft across the general fandom.

I'll hope to be answering questions about my own stuff in the 2030s.

8 hours ago, Revae said:

*huff huff huff*

Did I make it? Is it too late?

boat.png

Came here for this.

Cruise ship from Herian2 maps 25 and 26 now is #1 for me. It is huge, gorgeous, proportional, detailed and actually playable on decks and inside.

herian2_ship_06.JPG

herian2_ship_07.JPG

herian2_ship_08.JPG

herian2_ship_09.JPG

herian2_ship_10.JPG

herian2_ship_11.JPG

herian2_ship_12.JPG

Posted (edited)
On 9/12/2023 at 12:49 PM, Hitherto said:

Cruise ship from Herian2 maps 25 and 26 now is #1 for me. It is huge, gorgeous, proportional, detailed and actually playable on decks and inside.

I wonder how this looks and plays in BeeWen's remake/reimagination of Herian 2, Greenian?

Also in the years since this thread was posted with the wads ive played since then, I am surprised Fragport's Ironclad or its many level exit boats didn't get an honorable mention at least

Eviternity Map 24: Temeraire... I mean, the thread is over, right? It wins? Doom ships can't possibly be more elaborate.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

Eviternity Map 24: Temeraire... I mean, the thread is over, right? It wins? Doom ships can't possibly be more elaborate.

At least post a picture of the beaut for the rest of us to marvel at smh... Though, I personally struggle to fit her into just a single screenshot comfortably. Best to just load up the map and fly around to get the true scale of the darn thing, she's a respectable 9778mu long from bow to stern.

Screenshot_Doom_20240311_204159.png.1c41a18f8586e13cee44bda8e0220f2c.png

image.png.f9c18384cbb1bb2a08e7a93022b526fe.png

Speaking of map units, it would be swell if we could classify the various boats into a couple of categories based on size as well. Does anyone have some suggestions?

7 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

It's not about winning at this point. It's about collecting. Gotta catch em all!

10 hours ago, ObserverOfTime said:

sick pic

man that thang was thicc n juicy when i got to that point in the map the first time ooh wee

the gold standard

Posted (edited)

Because of a strange bump in another forum, discovered this nice one by roofi from e2m8 of deadly standards 2. Detailed, expressionist and old school at the same time (plus a cute way to reach the boat with a small boat) . Sometimes bumps are good.

bateau.jpg

Edited by apichatpong