Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

What happens when things go boom?

I'm not sure if this has been asked before or not, but does anyone know if there will be effects for if you nail a zombie with a rocket or other monsters. If he will explode into a gazillion chunks, or just fall over. Same with imps etc. Blowing off limbs is that possible as well?

Alientank said:

I'm not sure if this has been asked before or not, but does anyone know if there will be effects for if you nail a zombie with a rocket or other monsters. If he will explode into a gazillion chunks, or just fall over. Same with imps etc. Blowing off limbs is that possible as well?

How the Hell would we know?
The Alpha does not have a rl or any other explosives afaik.
And blowing off limbs is not possible according to id.

1) Yes this has been discussed before, more than once.
2) We don't know.
3) There is a placeholder rocket launcher in the alpha, if you look carefully. :P But afaik it doesn't do much in the way of gibbing... come to think of it I never tested it...

/me goes to test

Nope, no gibbage, dismemberment, or anything else. They just fall over... not even any blood. But it's not exactly implemented fully yet :P

Thanks Raid. Also, dsm that was uncalled for. I ask a simple question and you get mad about it. I would expect by the end of development there is a gib animation for every monster (well except for the big ones like the cyber, spider mastermind, etc). Since in this shot here http://www.doomworld.com/php/screenie.php?dir=/pcgamer_dec2002/&number=1 you can see on the floor giblets of a body.

WTF? You think that was dsm getting mad... You ain't seen nothing...

Anyway, those gibs on the floor are human gibs... there are specific models for these... they're basically eye candy, they dont serve much purpose other than adding to the atmosphere.

Oh ok. Well it sounded like he was mad at me or something. Anyways, so just models eh? Well I hope there is an animation for them all when they get nailed by bfg's and rockets.

AirRaid said:

But it's not exactly implemented fully yet :P

not impletemented as of July 2002.

I really hope they will ad gibbing.. that would make the game more gruesome.. and realistic.. the classic doom had gibbing.. so why not doom3

deathz0r said:

not impletemented as of July 2002.

Whatever, you know what I meant.

Hammer - Yea, but gibbing is easy with sprites. It's a lot harder with models... you can't really just tell the model to break into lots of little models, without the bigger model being made up of those smaller models first. Which isn't the way Doom 3 does things, apparently.

HAMMER-STROKE said:

i hope it will look close 2 the: http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/shots7/quake02.jpg
explosion..

I hope the explosions look even better than that. The tenebrae explosion looks too much like a flat sprite to my eyes.

Also, dsm that was uncalled for. I ask a simple question and you get mad about it.

Now THAT comment was uncalled for ;-)
Why do you think I was mad? O_o
And buddy, this is a forum with written messages, so you can't say that a person "sounds" mad, heh. :-P

Anyway, if I had a reason to get mad at you over this thread it'd probably be this:

I wanna be losered so badly that I spam like crazy

Consider that a mild warning and know that I do not have anything personal against you.

dsm said:

How the Hell would we know?

Hello dsm, and welcome to the Forums ! A "forum" is a place where people get to ask hypothetical questions so that others could speculate and discuss them. A "moderator" is a person who encourages people to bring up questions like these, and often takes part in the discussion without unnecessarily patronizing users. If there's anything more you need to know, I'll be right here !

/insert image of exploding sarcasm meter

Come on, dsm, lighten up. It's like nobody can post a question or opinion anymore without being confronted by swearing, aggressive or indifferent moderators.

Lord FlatHead said:

Come on, dsm, lighten up. It's like nobody can post a question or opinion anymore without being confronted by swearing, aggressive or indifferent moderators.

/Me looks back to the time he was a newbie.
Frankly, I don't see that things have changed...

dsm said:

/Me looks back to the time he was a newbie.
Frankly, I don't see that things have changed...

hmmm...being unpopular is your favourite role then, isn't it?

HAMMER-STROKE said:

Lets get back on topic shall we?

Yeah, or else the thread has to be closed.

On topic: I don't think you will be able to blow off limbs, ID already stated that. Gibbing, on the other side, might be implemented.

i was already afraid that id wont allow shooting off limbs.. anyway.. nothing about that is official.. maby it will still be added.. they have 4/5 month's 2 complete the game.. if not longer.. so anything can happen..

if gibbing can be done what is the difficulty to make models that can loose parts of the "body"? this is a serious question - i am just curios to know why. in sof it was possible and added more realism.
anyone?

agreed. I spent much ammo blasting heads against the floors just to see the amazing splattering effects. I thought I'd never see blood splats a good as HL until I saw those.

Edit: Doom invented gibs, it'd be sad to see the chunks go. :P

Use3D said:

Edit: Doom invented gibs, it'd be sad to see the chunks go. :P

Agreed, but lets see a slightly different type of gibbing from the typical Quake style. I'm hoping for something a little more like the original Doom where the victim just becomes one big, torn up mass of red flesh and bloodsoaked bones.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Lord FlatHead said:

Hello dsm, and welcome to the Forums ! A "forum" is a place where people get to ask hypothetical questions so that others could speculate and discuss them. A "moderator" is a person who encourages people to bring up questions like these, and often takes part in the discussion without unnecessarily patronizing users. If there's anything more you need to know, I'll be right here !

/insert image of exploding sarcasm meter

Thank you. Anyways, yes, gibbage I want it's just the last thing I want in the game. Maybe just for the imp, and zombies atleast