Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scotty

Boaty McBoatwad - /idgames

11 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I want to join but the rule "OTEX only" kinda bugs me... Which is odd since you CAN make a boat with only vanilla textures technically... >_>

I considered just using stock stuff and equally considered allowing absolute texture freedom but i want to minimise the energy i have to expend on running this tbh, otherwise running this would quickly become unfun for me. OTEX is easy because i can just basically drop it in and it gives people a huge thematic range to work with, as well as offering something a bit different, as rd says. I don't like mixing of OTEX and vanilla, with very few exceptions - most vanilla textures have an OTEX analogue anyway.

I might make a boat theme map here later this month however can I use stock textures too with OTEX?

15 minutes ago, MidnightMage said:

Well a boat themed community project seems original enough. Can maps be submitted as limit removing and not Boom?

Definitely, Boom is inclusive of vanilla and LR as well inherently (just for future reference)

Might just take a break from my current wip map to try my hand at my first community project

I could not give an absolute shit ship about this project. I'll stick with Zone 400 and classic maps. Good luck anyway guys.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Definitely, Boom is inclusive of vanilla and LR as well inherently (just for future reference)

Not completely; more complex stairbuilder setups that work in vanilla can break in Boom (and vice-versa).

Been there, run into that.

This sounds fun, i'll look to make a map for this one. Is it planned to be a 32 or below standard megaWAD?

Mind if I share a wip screenshot?

Im making a Ship Graveyard + Abandoned docks.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20201105_233939.png.13e27c2db79ddbc68aa13625d52ae5c9.png

9 hours ago, Jimmy said:

what hath I wrought

ships ohoy matey

I'll be sure tha bring da fleet and maybe build a few more.. yaaar

7 hours ago, cannonball said:

Frankly the world would be a worse place without an HMS Fireblu.....

If not for the "must use OTEX" requirement I would be very tempted to deliver something in the vein of 50 Shades of Graytall for this, because the name Big Gray Al's Big Gray Boat Ride is almost too good to pass up.

16 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

what a funny idea! Every map style is accepted, right?

Absolutely!

13 hours ago, MidnightMage said:

Well a boat themed community project seems original enough. Can maps be submitted as limit removing and not Boom?

Feel free to build in Doom format if you wish, but be sure to test them in boom format to ensure everything functions as expected.

13 hours ago, Philnemba said:

I might make a boat theme map here later this month however can I use stock textures too with OTEX?

Otex only please (my reasoning is here), with the one exception being the secret map - addressed below.

11 hours ago, DFF said:

This sounds fun, i'll look to make a map for this one. Is it planned to be a 32 or below standard megaWAD?

However many maps we get. I don't expect 32 maps, if we do reach that then i will figure something out...

8 hours ago, cannonball said:

Frankly the world would be a worse place without an HMS Fireblu.....

1 hour ago, TheOrganGrinder said:

If not for the "must use OTEX" requirement I would be very tempted to deliver something in the vein of 50 Shades of Graytall for this, because the name Big Gray Al's Big Gray Boat Ride is almost too good to pass up.

Ok here is the deal. Someone immediately pitched this idea and i thought it would make for a cool secret map - but it will lose impact if there are randomly 3-4 of these kinda maps... So i am accepting one single 50 Shades type map for the secret map, decide amongst yourselves who is making it - or collaborate! Or compete for that one slot :) I am assuming anyone who wants to make such a map knows the limitation already... only the GRAYTALL, DOORTRAK and FIREBLU textures are allowed, and the only flats are F_SKY1 plus one of your own choosing.

I might try my hand at creating one map, but my experience in mapping is limited to vanilla textures and one or two custom textures that I added myself. I have downloaded the texture pack and it does work in my map, but I do have one very noobish question: How do I implement one of the given custom sky textures into the level? I mean, I can't simply use F_SKY because that just sets the sky texture to the regular DOOM 2 sky.

@Ar_e_en in Boom format you'd use linedef action 271, "transfer sky texture to tagged sectors."

• Put the sky texture that you want to use as your level's sky as the upper texture of a line with action 271, and assign it a linedef tag
  • Assign the same tag to all the sectors with F_SKY1 that you want to display your sky of choice