Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scotty

Boaty McBoatwad - /idgames

Inspired by Jimmy huh? Well Hell yeah I'm in. I was working on a cruise ship map for MAYhem 2019 that I never finished, I'll have to retexture it from Blood to OTEX but I can do that pretty easy. Hopefully I can finish by the 30th!

Edit: What I'm starting with from last year:

0F2Px9b.png

Edited by Snikle

@TheOrganGrinder Thanks for the info! It works now, even tho SLADE for some reason treats linedef action 271 as an unknown action.

2 hours ago, TheOrganGrinder said:

If not for the "must use OTEX" requirement I would be very tempted to deliver something in the vein of 50 Shades of Graytall for this, because the name Big Gray Al's Big Gray Boat Ride is almost too good to pass up.

I'm pretty sure there's a metric shitton of GRAY-esque textures in OTEX.  They might not have the meme value of the original GRAYTALL, but you can still make the grayest boat eva.

1 hour ago, Ar_e_en said:

@TheOrganGrinder Thanks for the info! It works now, even tho SLADE for some reason treats linedef action 271 as an unknown action.

Because it's from MBF, not from Boom.

I thought I had fixed that issue but apparently not.

...Huh.  My apologies for the misinformation; it's something that Doom Builder lets me select as a valid linedef type when mapping in Boom format so I figured it was a part of Boom format but thank you @Gez for the correction there.

@Scotty

@Gez

Wait, if linedef 271 is a MBF feature, does that mean that you can't implement it into this Boom mapping project? If you can't do that, then how would you set up a specific sky texture so that it's completely Boom friendly?

It happens to work in Boom, so you can probably use it anyway and ignore Slade not recognising it. Although if necessary i can handle applying sky transfers for people :)

37 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

Wait, if linedef 271 is a MBF feature, does that mean that you can't implement it into this Boom mapping project? If you can't do that, then how would you set up a specific sky texture so that it's completely Boom friendly?

It will not work in Boom 2.02; but it will work in PrBoom+ and most other Boom-compatible ports.

What about airships and spaceships? Are they boats in this context?

I probably won't have time to contribute, sadly, but its still a tempting idea.

They're boats if they're built from the hull of a seaship.

So feel free to make Space Battleship Yamato in Doom.

23 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

Is it alright if I post some w.i.p. screenshots for my map attempt?

NO, POSTING WIP SCREENSHOTS IS FORBIDDEN UNDER DOOMWORLD LAW

Spoiler

yes please post

On 11/5/2020 at 7:19 PM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I want to join but the rule "OTEX only" kinda bugs me... Which is odd since you CAN make a boat with only vanilla textures technically... >_>

Agreed

You guys inspired me to make a speedmap today.  

Not eligible for this event as I used stock textures but still had fun!! 

I just remembered something. Do our maps have to be multiplayer compatible? Because I have completely ignored the multiplayer stuff :P

Also, here are some outdated screenshots from a few days ago:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20201108_221218.png.5b8dea90c57d369b4e666ffed26f5092.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201108_221257.png.2ce3bebb4a376b212e6eda2c99030cf4.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201108_221315.png.9ab014a923384cc780e17e5059f5cae7.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201108_221330.png.1f3255c612f7abcc665b94c8e6f6b77f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201108_221348.png.664a88ec1b8ba9c206551f00e94783ae.png

Have made more stuff in since taking these screenshots.

2 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

I just remembered something. Do our maps have to be multiplayer compatible? Because I have completely ignored the multiplayer stuff :P

Not really worried about multiplayer within the scope of this project.

Holy ship, this looks like a fun idea.  Don't think I'll make it out of port to try to map anything as I haven't touched an editor since 2001 or so and would take too long to shake off the rust and learn a new editor.  Will plan to cruise by and spend some time playing this project to sea what sort of creativity comes out.

Sounds fun, I'll try to submit something

Edit: Oh sorry we're doing boat puns...I'll sea what I can do aboat submitting a map.

I wanna say that I'm about 75% done with my map and when I'm fully done - I wonder if it will be possible for people to test the map (there were some problems that I made when I accidentally clicked on the "merge sectors" instead of the "join sectors" button, but I fixed it, but now I wonder if I made that mistake in other places).

I would also like some input from you all.

I test most of the map through GZDoom (and occasionally PRBoom+ to make sure that it is fully compatible) and one thing that kinda bugs me is that in GZDoom - the sky textures don't vertically align right. You can see the line where the texture repeats. This problem, however, doesn't happen in PRBoom+.

Screenshot_Doom_20201111_172816.png.432cf6c8ff7af6230458599ac35ef685.png

GZDoom

screenshot(2020-11-11)_(17-26-43).png.10809cc03dcc3bbd0feefcedffc76fbe.png

PRBoom+

I know that this is meant for Boom style ports, but let's be honest - some people will only play this on GZDoom. So I have an idea and you could tell me if I should go through with this or if I should not.

In order to simulate an endless ocean - I might create a long staircase with the water texture in order to mask the repeating line. It won't look that good if you are standing in the water, but from an elevated point of view - it will mask the line and make the ocean look vast and endless. Keep in mind - I might do this for the GZDoom players.

Screenshot_Doom_20201111_172806.png.04f8d7b7f2576e7fecb8c158311a2572.png

GZDoom

screenshot(2020-11-11)_(17-25-46).png.dc7e9997c1dc110f8a5cc238bafce31e.png

PRBoom+

11 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

I would also like some input from you all.

I test most of the map through GZDoom (and occasionally PRBoom+ to make sure that it is fully compatible) and one thing that kinda bugs me is that in GZDoom - the sky textures don't vertically align right. You can see the line where the texture repeats. This problem, however, doesn't happen in PRBoom+.

IIRC i can deal with this in MAPINFO and set an appropriate sky offset for GZDoom there. So do not worry about this :)