Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scotty

Boaty McBoatwad - /idgames

2 hours ago, Dunn & Dunn said:

So, submissions for this end AFTER the deadline, November 30th? I've never had that before. 

Not sure what this means?  It's still November 30th, or at least it is in my part of the world.  Certainly was when most people were posting their final submissions earlier.

Map: SS Lightbringer: Beacon of the Endless Piss Void

Difficulties implemented: yes

Coop: no

MIDI: Perfect Dark: Pelagic II - arranged by Sean Wszelaki

Otex required, not included

I planned on adding a method to reset and visit the beginning of the map again, but I ran out of time. Make sure you look for any secrets if you're into that sort of thing before boarding and leaving the boat. Hopefully I got all the bugs ironed out.

wydoomer-ss_lightbringer_beacon_of_the_endless_piss_void.zip

boat.png.41cb37500f2234663691af98d1fddbdd.png

What a coincidence.
I'm putting the finishing touches on this WAD and plan to release it soon.

You start near this boat.

Fairchild Island - Title.png

Updated The Orca with some small changes and an additional secret, same link as before.

SS Lightbringer: Beacon of the Endless Piss Void by @wydoomer

Spoiler

Good lord dude, what a map. From the very jump all the way until the end you are under pressure from the maps 500+ enemies. Having to slaughter hordes of demons while... experiencing the piss void is certainly a different type of experience. I really enjoyed how the map flowed from one arena to the next, each fight feeling like it had just the right amount of balance between enemy count and space to fight in. The closer toward the end of the map all but one fight cranks up the number of baddies while taking away your escape routes. Fights that stood out were the first set of Archviles, the Hell Knight wave, and the final two fights near the exit. Oh, I guess I should also mention the one Zombieman invasion on the ship. That was the hardest fight of all =D

The music is a very nice choice and fits the atmosphere of the void very well. I'm not sure if it's the soundfont I chose but the bass has a very nice weight to it which brings this ominous feel to everything. I guess the atmosphere was very well done because I kept trying to avoid being in the "water" for too long, thinking about what I was sloshing around in. Thanks for that I guess... 

The thing that popped into my mind while I was playing the map was that this felt like a good introduction to slaughter maps for new players. Anyone who hasn't played one before would benefit from playing this because it introduces the elements while not going too hard on the player. There were a couple fights I felt could have used multiple spawn points for enemies to raise the difficulty curve. Like the Furnace Pinky fight, if they were to come out of the Furnace up the starts, cutting the player's escape route off, then that fight immediately becomes much harder. Pinkies have this natural way of being chaos devices in maps like this so the way you use them really dictates how interesting a fight can go. I felt like the fights involving the Hell Knights were perfectly done as well as the final Revenant wave. There was enough room for them to get everywhere but not get stuck and be a post fight surprise. 

I loved this map man, excellent work here. I can't praise it enough. I really enjoyed it.

Thanks for all the submissions! I will check everything has skill settings implemented, add midis where necessary, and compile it all whenever i get a chance to sit down and go through it.

@AconyX does your map have a proper name...?

Edited by Scotty

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Thanks for all the submissions! I will check everything has skill settings implemented, add midis where necessary, and compile it all whenever i get a chance to sit down and go through it.

@AconyX does your map have a proper name...?

Unfortunately no. If you have any suggestions or anybody else, than go ahead. I'm terrible when it comes to giving name for a map. 😄

@Biodegradable I loved how you handled the red key room, quite clutch. Excellent strat on the archvile/hellknight fight. It was intended to have you circle around the archvile pillar to avoid hk fireballs while focusing the archviles down between their attacks, but your positioning was impeccable.

@ABearInThaWoods You're a very good player. Your aiming at the teleporters and preparing for the next big wave on the zombieman encounter was great.

Thanks for the playthroughs and your thoughts, dudes. It's good to see that nothing broke too badly

Ok i have played through all the maps and compiled a beta (maplist in OP), just got a couple of things to sort out before i can post it. I deliberately haven't posted any feedback because there is no real quality control, i just wanted people to have fun messing around in the editor, although if you want my thoughts on a given map, just ask me.

@waciej there is hardly any ammo in your map is this intentional? Most people won't bother to kill everything and just run to the exit. I only managed to get 100% kills through tedious infight baiting. I can quickly add some extra shells if you like.

@AconyX hmm, please just come up with something, i don't like having to pick music for other people's maps let alone name them. It can just be a dumb pun or boat related joke if necessary, it is not like "Gangbang Galleon" is the pinnacle of map naming :D

@DFF your wad file contained two music files, which one do you want me to apply? Incidentally wydoomer's map also uses of these midis.

17 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Ok i have played through all the maps and compiled a beta (maplist in OP), just got a couple of things to sort out before i can post it. I deliberately haven't posted any feedback because there is no real quality control, i just wanted people to have fun messing around in the editor, although if you want my thoughts on a given map, just ask me.

Feel free to give any feedback on my two entries if you want, especially since I've only been mapping for five months and playing Doom for almost six.

Question: How will the completed project be laid out? Will it be something like 50 Shades of Graytall and Slaughterfest 2012 with some difficulty curve and a proper first-to-last-map progression, or just a random collection of maps? Either way I am looking forward to playing through it all. I haven't played anybody else's maps aside from Pestilent Plagueship so I don't know what everybody's maps are like.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

@waciej there is hardly any ammo in your map is this intentional? Most people won't bother to kill everything and just run to the exit. I only managed to get 100% kills through tedious infight baiting. I can quickly add some extra shells if you like.

@AconyX hmm, please just come up with something, i don't like having to pick music for other people's maps let alone name them. It can just be a dumb pun or boat related joke if necessary, it is not like "Gangbang Galleon" is the pinnacle of map naming :D

@DFF your wad file contained two music files, which one do you want me to apply? Incidentally wydoomer's map also uses of these midis.

Sorry I thought I took the other one out. Use D_RUNNIN (from tnt) for now, you can remove the other one.
Checked again and I also left them named the same like a dummy. The 7.77kb MUS file from tnt is the one I want, not the 23.43kb MIDI from perfect dark.

Feedback would also be appreciated, I like to know what i'm doing well or poorly to try and improve my style.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

No problemo. My map name will be "Doomed Harbor" and music as Jimmy Paddock's Troglodyte.

I also moved that secret tag a bit before entering teleport and it seems to be working with no problems.

DoomedHarbor.zip

17 hours ago, Scotty said:

i don't like having to pick music for other people's maps let alone name them.

This wasn't addressed to me specifically but I know I don't have any music suggestion for my map either.  If you dislike the idea of picking it yourself, ABearInThaWoods suggested a midi for my map in this post that would be as good as any other, as far as I'm concerned!

Get the beta here. You can see i have implemented a slightly modified blue range to the palette. Hopefully all animated textures and flats are working ok - it is always a pain dealing with them in Slade when working with massive resource packs like this.

On 12/4/2020 at 5:47 AM, Dunn & Dunn said:

Feel free to give any feedback on my two entries if you want, especially since I've only been mapping for five months and playing Doom for almost six.

Question: How will the completed project be laid out? Will it be something like 50 Shades of Graytall and Slaughterfest 2012 with some difficulty curve and a proper first-to-last-map progression, or just a random collection of maps? Either way I am looking forward to playing through it all. I haven't played anybody else's maps aside from Pestilent Plagueship so I don't know what everybody's maps are like.

I tried my best to place maps in a logical difficulty order while accounting for some pacing and variance through the wad.

Feedback - for Getaway it is hard to say much given the brevity of the map, although it was visually nice enough. Be careful with placement of key items, in this case the shotgun, which is pretty crucial and easily missed as it is obscured behind that lowering contraption. I thought Under Wraps was more fleshed out with dedicated traps and encounters (the secret star area reminded me of Speed of Doom a bit). I appreciated the atmospheric midi, considered music choice always adds a lot to a much in my opinion. There were also some nice ideas like the healing pads and the silent teleporter trap you implemented for the red key.

On 12/4/2020 at 7:49 AM, DFF said:

Feedback would also be appreciated, I like to know what i'm doing well or poorly to try and improve my style.

Some might say the map is cramped but i think that worked well with the idea that you are on a submarine, and the windows showing the icebergs outside helped to convey the setting nicely. I liked the secret key, always a cool feature in my book. I do wonder how a playthrough of this map might be impacted if i had not found it, ie the effect not having that extra firepower of the berzerk. Cramming monsters into maps is fine with me as long as the monsters don't become a slog to grind through - i had berzerk and like to punch things out, but you might find that others will wish they got the SSG a bit earlier. Due to the light textures used i assumed some doors needed yellow keys, and i didn't realise there were actually two paths to this map at first.

19 hours ago, jerrysheppy said:

This wasn't addressed to me specifically but I know I don't have any music suggestion for my map either.  If you dislike the idea of picking it yourself, ABearInThaWoods suggested a midi for my map in this post that would be as good as any other, as far as I'm concerned!

I did manage to make music selections, i hope people like what i chose. It is just tricky because you have to try and assume the intentions of the mapper and the kind of atmosphere they are trying to create. I guess it feels like encroaching on somebody else's creative works. As for naming someone else's map it is like naming their child, which feels wrong :P

Edited by Scotty

I am not the best with Mapinfo so hopefully someone can tell me what is wrong with it (i can't see what the error in the cluster def is, and zDoom 2.8.1 works just fine so i still want to blame GZ, hah).

I mean, ZDoom of any version has been officially discontinued and GZDoom is the current standard for the ZDoom family.  I very much want to avoid being a dick since you're the one who's doing the work here, but I hope it's not too harsh a take to say that that a deprecated engine whose last release was 4+ years ago isn't a good compatibility benchmark. :|

Unfortunately I'm not in a great position to be able to troubleshoot it either, so hopefully someone else will come along and help.

Nice, thanks. Updated the OP with that version of the beta.

I wonder why GZ didn't like that but zDoom accepted it, weird. I usually test in PRB+ then check mapinfo in zDoom you see, people do still use that port because it is a stable version of sorts - if something works in zDoom 2.8.1, especially Boom and vanilla format maps, i expect it to work in newly updated versions of that port - but guess i should stop expecting GZ to have backwards compatibility.

image.png.fd96f00cf1115c1e36ea3a1216ea568f.pngThis animated texture is messed up, one of the frames is a completely different texture.

I also wanted to know if there was any particular feedback regarding my map you had to give (other than that teleport trap that I fixed in the version I PMed you)

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Nice, thanks. Updated the OP with that version of the beta.

I wonder why GZ didn't like that but zDoom accepted it, weird. I usually test in PRB+ then check mapinfo in zDoom you see, people do still use that port because it is a stable version of sorts - if something works in zDoom 2.8.1, especially Boom and vanilla format maps, i expect it to work in newly updated versions of that port - but guess i should stop expecting GZ to have backwards compatibility.

Yeah, I'm definitely not saying it's good for GZDoom to actively break something that worked in the last stable ZDoom release.  But if it does, then it's reasonable for an end user to expect any newly released wads to have compatibility with the release from 1 month ago over the release from almost 5 years ago!

At any rate, all's well that ends well, I hope.

I did figure that out in the MAPINFO lump as well, and went and fixed it, along with some minor errors like map name capitalization. Just for myself unless you update the completed project. :P

Played through the first five maps and everybody's maps so far are pretty solid. Mutiny Machine confused me for a second with that moving boat simulation. Well done.

I'll be playing more when I have the chance tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

This animated texture is messed up, one of the frames is a completely different texture.

I also wanted to know if there was any particular feedback regarding my map you had to give (other than that teleport trap that I fixed in the version I PMed you)

Ok i messed something up when trimming Otex down, i will redo that when i get a chance to sit down with Slade again.

I could only nitpick your map really, i thought it was very polished overall with smooth gameplay and a cohesive theme/visual setting so nice work on that. My nitpick would be that i didn't like the HK turret snipers, i thought they don't do anything and are simultaneously finnicky to have to clean up if you are going for max kills.

EDIT - beta 1b uploaded with the animation error fixed.

Edited by Scotty

Went through all the maps. I started getting frustrated near the end but that was only because of the RNG and constant high-damage and enemy-movement rolls I was getting. Everybody did a spectacular job, there were lots of great ideas and uses for a boat-related map. 

Atmosphere-wise, my favorite has to be MAP12: Beezleboat. Scale-wise, MAP15: Gangbang Galleon. Combat-wise, MAP14: Ferrytale.

We currently do not have a secret map just yet - who's working on it?

41 minutes ago, Dunn & Dunn said:

Went through all the maps. I started getting frustrated near the end but that was only because of the RNG and constant high-damage and enemy-movement rolls I was getting. Everybody did a spectacular job, there were lots of great ideas and uses for a boat-related map. 

Atmosphere-wise, my favorite has to be MAP12: Beezleboat. Scale-wise, MAP15: Gangbang Galleon. Combat-wise, MAP14: Ferrytale.

We currently do not have a secret map just yet - who's working on it?

@Caru has an idea that's extremely promising. I'm not sure if they intend to finish it but I feel like it needs to be part of the wad. It would be a shame if it stayed incomplete.

I've quickly checked out my maps in the beta1b update and I can't find any texture mistakes so far. I guess that map-wise everything seems to be in order (at least for my maps).

However, I did notice a possible mistake in the text strings (specifically the DeHacked file):

C1TEXT = There is nore lore here, only boats.
C2TEXT = There is nore lore here, only boats.

I think you meant it to say "There is no lore here, only boats."

6 minutes ago, ABearInThaWoods said:

@Caru has an idea that's extremely promising. I'm not sure if they intend to finish it but I feel like it needs to be part of the wad. It would be a shame if it stayed incomplete.

Aww, thanks :D I can try to make it work (though I should note that I honestly can't tell how long it would take, I've never actually finished a map before xD), but if someone else with more Boom experience wants to take a crack at it I have no objections.

23 minutes ago, punch you in the face man said:

I got a softlock in this spot of MAP08, fell between the boxes instead of on the backpacks.

Screenshot_Doom_20201205_145743.png.c17857922b3bf2397b184ad30f718aa0.png

Yep, I got that too. Other than this, everybody's maps are solid.