Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scotty

Boaty McBoatwad - let's all make boat maps (Boom CP)

11 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

I would also like some input from you all.

I test most of the map through GZDoom (and occasionally PRBoom+ to make sure that it is fully compatible) and one thing that kinda bugs me is that in GZDoom - the sky textures don't vertically align right. You can see the line where the texture repeats. This problem, however, doesn't happen in PRBoom+.

IIRC i can deal with this in MAPINFO and set an appropriate sky offset for GZDoom there. So do not worry about this :)

16 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

In order to simulate an endless ocean - I might create a long staircase with the water texture in order to mask the repeating line. It won't look that good if you are standing in the water, but from an elevated point of view - it will mask the line and make the ocean look vast and endless. Keep in mind - I might do this for the GZDoom players.

???

You can do that by setting the line_horizon effect on the outer lines (line type 337). It'll work in all ZDoom-based ports; and it will not have any drawback in other ports, not even in vanilla, because the engine just ignores unknown line types. (Contrarily to unknown sector types, which cause the game to abort with an error when the player gets in one.)

For your sky issue, just enable short sky stretching.

Line type 337 is another line type that SLADE treats as "Unknown" (same as the last one). Keep in mind - I'm making this with the Boom compatibility mode in SLADE, which means that, while it will work in PRBoom+ and GZDoom, it won't list it as an available line type option in the editors drop-down menu, which explains why I don't know about these specific line types.

That's why I gave you the number!

It's nice that you gave me the number, but I hope that I don't have to rely on any more "Unknown" line numbers with this map, because I kinda get this feeling that sooner or later something is going to break, and to be fair - I have already broken this map once when I accidentally clicked on "merge sectors" instead of "join sectors" (seriously, why is "merge sectors" even a thing? It has only brought me pain and suffering!).

That being said - I did implement that line type into my map and it still works.

Spoiler

003.png.d600b697a065644e452ecc428c122487.png

Anyway, here are some newer screenshots:

Spoiler

000.png.f04aa6d1e99a1519e158c3445d4a76ef.png

I've noticed that a lot of us are using that big chain texture for some reason.

001.png.93b09cff2d5ff8dd9f21ec6eb82ea67f.png

002.png.9adc356311316e9083918a2adb3b9e65.png

004.png.cba7a7240fcca2bc951434588e973c17.png

005.png.eea6dd13b6563619962de42df0684a80.png

The placement of these torches is based on the difficulty setting that you choose (there is a reason for this).

Update: the screen on my laptop just broke and not only was that the only computer that had the wad file I was working on, it was my only computer period, meaning I have to cancel. I might try to make something but if I do it will be way past the deadline, probably next year. It was gonna have such a cool layout!!! You were gonna see the boat from a pier and then you were gonna teleport into it and fight an arch-vile and stuff... :(

wEfhhNe.png

Gangbang Galleon

Chaotic cove/dock romp, UV difficulty should be similar to regular modern Skillsaw type stuff.

Skill settings implemented! Have fun.

@croc_rock

Do you have an extra monitor or TV laying around that supports HDMI? Most laptops have a HDMI port (hell, some still have the old VGA port, maybe the monitor or TV supports that as well), you could hook up the laptop to one of those and use that as a temporary screen.

22 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

@croc_rock

Do you have an extra monitor or TV laying around that supports HDMI? Most laptops have a HDMI port (hell, some still have the old VGA port, maybe the monitor or TV supports that as well), you could hook up the laptop to one of those and use that as a temporary screen.

I'm an idiot lol, I have a tv that I can use. I've used it before! How did I forget!!!

It's great that there is still a chance that you could finish this!

I have a funny little story about my map. I wanted to change a certain texture from my map to a different texture, it was one texture that was used only once in the map, but I couldn't find it, so...

Instead of finding out how to find textures in my map by name, I decided to find it in a more fun way! I made a copy of my map, I went into the copy, selected all the textures that I didn't want to replace and changed them to one specific random texture. I then went around the map and looked for anything that looked different, and I found the location of the texture I was looking for! So I replaced it. 

So why am I telling you this? Well...

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20201114_030901.png.6ca3a10bb53e4c62494a3f73d8a49eaa.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201114_030848.png.fd1de295cd140368dbca02335ede2af5.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201114_030822.png.1e46528a38000c087124ccacde75e8bf.png

I turned everything to PISS!

@muumi

Very visually unique! I like it!

@A2Rob

That's funny - we both basically went with the same concept of avoiding a Cybers rockets while finishing the level. Anyway, It was short and sweet, a good map!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/p82x93aqqcoxo2a/SHIPpping.rar/file

Slot: map01

Music: Stage 1 Beggining From Castlevania 3

Time of making: 2 day

My toughts of this wad:

idea is to make a small boat where monsters will teleport and be so intense but i change that idea and easy and small map

Screenshoots

|

|

"

https://ibb.co/d0vpYR2

https://ibb.co/9yFkpz8

https://ibb.co/7jTDN9M

4 hours ago, waciej said:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/p82x93aqqcoxo2a/SHIPpping.rar/file

Slot: map01

Music: Stage 1 Beggining From Castlevania 3

Time of making: 2 day

My toughts of this wad:

idea is to make a small boat where monsters will teleport and be so intense but i change that idea and easy and small map

Screenshoots

|

|

"

https://ibb.co/d0vpYR2

https://ibb.co/9yFkpz8

https://ibb.co/7jTDN9M

Thanks for the submission but before i can accept it you need to retexture this so that it actually runs alongside base OTEX (you have just extracted all the patches and used them as textures here, it seems). You should be able to send me the map files without including any extra graphical resources. Also please use an OTEX sky rather than some random other jpeg file (which is not supported in software graphics based ports anyway).

1 hour ago, waciej said:

Still technical problems here - the map completely HOMs out in PRBoom+. In GZDB it shows the map as being constructed of unknown textures when loaded with OTEX - for whatever reason, zDoom ports still accept this ingame (i assume because it will default to patch names directly). However the only solution here is to reapply textures with the correct texture names as they appear in the TEXTURE2 lump in OTEX - the find and replace function in GZDB will make short work of this - then check the map displays correctly in PRBoom+.

Also note that the sky in this map HOMs out in software based ports (checked in zDoom 2.8.1), using non-textured walls to display a sky only works in GZDoom GL/hardware renderers - so you will need to modify the map so that the sky won't HOM out (via the usual zero-height sky ceilinged sector method).

Edited by Scotty

This may be a dumb question but..

By mapping style do you mean like in doom builder were it's like Zdoom (Doom in Doom format) or Doom 2 format?

I am interested in this, But I just want to make sure I don't mess anything up.

Just now, Kuro_mahoh said:

This may be a dumb question but..

By mapping style do you mean like in doom builder were it's like Zdoom (Doom in Doom format) or Doom 2 format?

I am interested in this, But I just want to make sure I don't mess anything up.

Yo, in Doom Builder here you want to use the game configuration "Boom: Doom 2 (Doom format)" :)

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yo, in Doom Builder here you want to use the game configuration "Boom: Doom 2 (Doom format)" :)

Thanks!

19 hours ago, Scotty said:

Still technical problems here - the map completely HOMs out in PRBoom+. In GZDB it shows the map as being constructed of unknown textures when loaded with OTEX - for whatever reason, zDoom ports still accept this ingame (i assume because it will default to patch names directly). However the only solution here is to reapply textures with the correct texture names as they appear in the TEXTURE2 lump in OTEX - the find and replace function in GZDB will make short work of this - then check the map displays correctly in PRBoom+.

Also note that the sky in this map HOMs out in software based ports (checked in zDoom 2.8.1), using non-textured walls to display a sky only works in GZDoom GL/hardware renderers - so you will need to modify the map so that the sky won't HOM out (via the usual zero-height sky ceilinged sector method).

Okay so approach no.3   http://www.mediafire.com/file/2a16i4bbryxcs5i/Ship+Ping.rar/file

-Sky problem is solved (worked on zandronum and GzDoom)

-In GZDB when you add "doom 2.wad" you got unkown textures but when you add otex textures are back to normal

im just hoping Map will be not completely HOM in PRBoom

@Scotty Since I haven't used custom textures before, I just want to clarify: Will the OTEX texture pack be included with the completed project? I looked at walter confetti's map alone and it's just the map with no extra textures. Shouldn't take me too long if this is the case.