Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_Child

what type of player ar you?

i'm the type who doesn't suck. in other words, i don't camp, i don't bitch about bfg, and i don't cheat.

I like to be a little more strategic in my shooting than most. I like to hunt and stalk, but am not really good at it. most levels aren't really that kinda map. I might just make a couple with that type of gameplay in mind.

I'm the type who stands out in the open till someone kills me, or I try to not be killed but just attract projectiles and die anyway.

I think you could sum up my style with the words "gay/crap/sucky/pathetic/muck"

I tend to just run around a lot, and shoot when someone is in sight, I dont like to coward, I fight with what I got unless I know what will happen. I'm not the best as some of you may know, but I'm defenately not the worst.

deathz0r said:
i'm the type who doesn't suck. in other words, i don't camp, i don't bitch about bfg, and i don't cheat.

....Riiight suuuurrre... :P

I am the kind who find it uncomfortable to stand still.

I don't bitch about BFG's because only good players know how to use that weapon correctly and those good players tend to own you with the rest of the arsenal too (maybe with the exception of the pistol).

Does anyone use the chainsaw for anything?

Oh yeah, I prefer large complicated maps over small arena'ish ones.

I'm a runner, since the alternative in DM is usually certain death. No probs with me or other people using the BFG9000. It's there, everyone can pick it up and use it, wether or not they actually know the effect of a BFG9000 shot.

I do like to camp sometimes, though, but only with 4 or more ppl in the game. Camp weapons for me are the Super Shotgun, the (silent) BFG9000 and, of course, telefrags >:-]

My overall favorite weapons in DM are the (normal, single-barreled) shotgun and the rocket launcher.

deathz0r said:

hmmm... I camp sometimes... but the rest is like me... :)

Little Faith said:

yes, I use it sometimes... it is a hard weapon to use, so I use it for the most for fun...
and I use all weapons, from fists to bfg... the weapon i don't use often is plasmagun and RL.
I use plasmagun mainly for defense, like in 1on1s.

I'm agressive. I.E. - you have a rocket launcher, I rush you with my SSG. I use neverswitchweapononpicup or whatever so if I pick up a new gun, it doesn't automatically switch, therefore, if I pick up a plasma gun and I'm kickin' ass with the SSG, it doesn't switch and fuck me up.

Do any of you play a monopolizer sort of game where you run around and grap weapons and powerups not as much for using them yourself than denying other players them.

That was my winning tactic back in my early deathmatching days. Shoot, I even hurt myself voluntarily (by nukage or rocket) just to be able to pick up critical health and armor supplies. Memorizing the respawn order was the prime objective.

Get someone to pursue, then bask in the glory of quick 180-degree turns and a DBS in the face of anyone chasing.
Strafe-running while firing a rapid-fire weapon is also fun. Rocket launchers and BFGs have their severe disadvantages. Gimme a DBS, Chaingun and PR any day.

Little Faith said:

It´s like Leon says in the movie with the same name.
I can´t quote him exactly but he says something like this:

"You start with big weapons from long distance.
As you are getting better you shorten the distance.
Knife is the last thing you learn.
Real experts need only the knife."

As I see it only real experts can master the chainsaw in doom because you need to get so close to your victim.

I am somewhat new to DM, but I am quite good at solo.
I tend to run around, but try to mix it up a bit. some people I played against tend to do the same thing over and over, so I would learn their pattern.
I tend to strafe weird though. which may be good, because when you get really used to it, you do it the same way, and people can pick up your patterens.

I was doing good when I was high the other day, and doom anomaly joined a game I was in too.

On map01, I try to keep a constant distance of 1-2 corners from my opponent with just the occasional quickie ssg attack or bfg charge. Instead I counter my opponent's moves with rockets, plasma or whatever weapon that seems apropriate. I quickly position myself in the plasma hall at the spawn point when I get a kil. When I get killed I respawn quickly and run for the shotgun if I am on that side of the map, othervise back to BFG at once. When I am facing a superior opponent I usually lose all sense of selfcontrol and rush around the place, losing big time.

Depends on the mode.

In FFA, I try and find the easiest frags. People who have just been through an intense firefight are my choice of prey. If someone is trying to pwn me, I turn tail and run until we run into someone else, and hopefully in the comotion he will start duking it out with the other dude, and I can get in my shots and kill the wounded, guarenteeing me at least one frag, if not two. Firing into crowds with a big weapon is also nice. As long as they don't notice me...

In 1on1, I ususally try to let the other player let me know where I am by firing a random shot. I hate 'stalking' as I am too jumpy when I'm in that mode, and my hand jerks when I finally do see the target. I'm also poor at ambushes, so usually I just test my head to head skills when I go 1on1.

In any DM type game I play (not just DooM) I move nonstop. This is usually to your advantage in any game. Also, if Ive been getting my ass kicked, then I'll get silly and start using the chainsaw or fist.

Alright, I don't know what mutant assclown decided to rip my name, but I'm not happy about it. Not that I won't answer your inane question.

Stopping = dying. That would be about it. I am God, King, and Pope of Dead Simple, and I cherish above all else the SSG. However, I keep weaponautoswitching on, since I know any level I'm playing forwards and backwards, and it reduces the amount that I have to take my hands from the movement keys. I hit hard, I hit fast, and I hit often.

Fear me, and change thy name, rabid forum monkey!

DC

My advice is to not let your adrenaline get ahold of you. If there is a huge firefight, or if the other guy is coming after you with a big gun, run away and try and take him out by confusion, cheap shots, and the like. Also, when people are having a BFG duel in a small room or something similar, don't rush in the middle of it, hang out outside of it and pick off survivors.

Also, if you are playing a friendly game, play smart, but occationally do something stupid. Who knows, you might learn something about your playing style or ability or a map dynamic that wasnt immediatly obvious.