Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WashingMachineEnthusiasts

Temporal Tantrum (v1.31 now released on IdGames! - 28 maps for MBF21)

Well i have tried it out (with guncaster) and while the start isn't something to be proud of, it gets better for sure!

i would say that bringing evil marines on the first level is kinda of ball busting move in terms of difficulty, but thats probably deserved seeing i was playing on UV

Will look forward for more, and potentially for the earlier maps to get a pimp up eventually.

48 minutes ago, Redead-ITA said:

Well i have tried it out (with guncaster) and while the start isn't something to be proud of, it gets better for sure!

i would say that bringing evil marines on the first level is kinda of ball busting move in terms of difficulty, but thats probably deserved seeing i was playing on UV

Will look forward for more, and potentially for the earlier maps to get a pimp up eventually.

These are the maps we have at the moment- they won't necessarily be the first eight in the finished product. In fact it's very likely that the last map in the demo will be very close to the end in the finished product.

1 hour ago, WashingMachineEnthusiasts said:

These are the maps we have at the moment- they won't necessarily be the first eight in the finished product. In fact it's very likely that the last map in the demo will be very close to the end in the finished product.

ahhh, makes sense then, still looking forward to the final product.

New demo released! We're now up to 14 maps; full credits in the spoilers below. This is intended for MBF-compatible source ports and was tested in PrBoom+, complevel 11. Due to a music change in one level, it will have slightly limited functionality in MBF, Woof or old PrBoom (i.e. not PrBoom+), but should otherwise play fine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WIBhEZ1W5-eVdsFX6Bs5keZA1JtByhSI/view?usp=sharing

Changes since the last version:

• Six new maps
  • Maps are now sorted by episode (although episodes are still quite short as many maps are yet to be added)
  • Episode functionality is implemented in Eternity and ZDoom
  • Note that death exits are not yet implemented, so people playing continuously in PrBoom+ should pistol start at maps 01 (obviously), 03, 05, 06, 09, 11 and 14
  • Difficulty levels implemented for all maps except MAP13
  • Changes to older maps based on feedback received from testers

Map list (maps new to this beta are in italics):

Spoiler

Episode 1: Underground Umbrage

MAP01: Retox by Washing Machine Enthusiasts

MAP02: They Feast on Afterbirth by LunchLunch

Episode 2: Cold Choler

MAP03: Smite of Disrespect by EnragedEggplant

MAP04: Cold Reception by Washing Machine Enthusiasts

Episode 3: Mesoamerican Menace

MAP05: Ferox by Washing Machine Enthusiasts (note: previously called Jungle Massacre)

Episode 4: Gothic Gall

MAP06: Pious Ennui by EnragedEggplant

MAP07: The Diabolist by LunchLunch

MAP08: Wicked Dracula by LunchLunch

Episode 5: Automated Animosity

MAP09: Nemesis by Washing Machine Enthusiasts

MAP10: What Is Love by LunchLunch

Episode 6: Pharoah's Fury

MAP11: Flood of Accusations by EnragedEggplant

MAP12: Poison of Envy by EnragedEggplant

MAP13: Temple of Karmack by Brxyz

Secret Level

MAP14: The Inner Realm by LunchLunch

screen1.jpg.8dd89485f754e5f2d5688750d286134d.jpgscreen2.jpg.10b60cc5eb6ff108e6834118ee459534.jpgscreen3.jpg.7e63cfc22e6b24fa15a17ac320eb97dc.jpgscreen4.jpg.558df951508391c4dab91b2b7da355a0.jpg

I have played through all the episodes of the February demo (not the secret level) and have enjoyed it thoroughly!

I experimented with various weapon sets from the 99weapons mod pack, and used HMP (skill 2) difficulty.
The final slaughtermap in the Temple of Carmack was particularly challenging.

I liked that since the maps were divided into episodes, it forced a pistol start for each. I used that as an opportunity to 

try a different weapon loadout for each episode.

The plasma soldiers and 3 eyed Cacodemons are fearsome enemies, and can kill me from full health/armor within seconds.

Dealing with plasma soldiers required an attitude like Blood's cultists, I think his reaction time is really short, and low pain chance too.

3 eyes cacos are best killed from a distance.

The variety of tones and themes gave me great motivation. I think 3 maps per episode would be ideal. Maybe use a custom boss

for the end of each episode... like the Temple Of Karmack had the two Diabolists. That was cool, how one of them came out of the sarcophagus.

Also each map having unique, well selected music, that is much appreciated.
BTW I used GZDoom 4.4.2 with Timidity++ MIDI engine, do you have a recommended engine or sound font?

I'm looking forward to seeing the skyboxes that will be put into the final product, and to see more maps of course. Well done guys!

Here is a revised version of the February demo correcting some issues identified in @Terminus's playtesting (thank you very much for this). These fixes are:

• Plasma marine reaction time has been slowed considerably (more than doubled)
  • Issue with skies not showing in many maps in ZDoom has been fixed
  • Some other graphical fixes

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ixKfX-6PTfhta-pLN_DcTkrWrZmpN4lP/view?usp=sharing

A note on the custom sky issue that other people may find helpful: if you set up a MAPINFO file and don't specify a sky, ZDoom will just not show any sky. We (being people who test in PrBoom+) assumed that it would show the default sky for the mapslot (e.g. SKY1 for MAPS1-11). We have now gone back and added custom skies for all missing maps, and these should show correctly in all ports.

On 2/20/2021 at 8:37 PM, marco.nadal.75 said:

BTW I used GZDoom 4.4.2 with Timidity++ MIDI engine, do you have a recommended engine or sound font?

Bit late on this one, but I use Arachno personally, although I make sure the MIDIs I choose sound good in the default soundfont as well. Not sure about the other authors. As for the engine, I would personally recommend PrBoom+ or Eternity (for the episode selection), but if you prefer (G)ZDoom that's fine too. Changes in ZDoom physics may result in some slightly odd behaviour here and there (e.g. the revenant teleporting on top of the exit switch in Retox in @Terminus's stream) but that's hardly a gamebreaking issue.

On 4/7/2021 at 11:51 PM, WashingMachineEnthusiasts said:

Bit late on this one, but I use Arachno personally

OMG Arachno soundfont sounds sooo good, I tried it with Rowdy Rudy's Revenge and it has a real 70's music feel now.

DooM just keeps getting better and better for me.
Only downside is that each source port needs the 155 MB .sf2 file in its respective directory, and I have a lot of ports and versions to cater to all the mods I have installed, so the small SSD on my laptop is running low on space... still, that should motivate me to finish my Ryzen7 build.
I have tried Eternity and movement is so different from Zan and GZ that I find it hard to play well. Also 8-bit color software mode looks pretty bad after playing in OpenGL/Vulkan for so many years. I tried Reshader with CRT shader but I think it introduces lag on this system.

About to have another go at Temporal Tantrum (update) with the Arachno soundfont, but before I go: Have you tried LiveReverb.pk3? Like the soundfont, it improved the experience so much for me.

On 5/23/2021 at 12:01 AM, marco.nadal.75 said:

About to have another go at Temporal Tantrum (update) with the Arachno soundfont, but before I go: Have you tried LiveReverb.pk3? Like the soundfont, it improved the experience so much for me.

I haven't (I don't generally use GZDoom) but I do think it's a great idea for an add-on.

NEW RELEASE - TEST VERSION 3

Temporal Tantrum (Test Version 3) is now out!

Featuring 19 MBF21-compatible maps by @Brxyz, @EnragedEggplant, @Lunch Lunch and @WashingMachineEnthusiasts across six episodes, with five custom enemies to fight!

See it in action here:

Download it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xA3xJpDECRW40sq_3YZfqoky9MhDZ87U/view?usp=sharing

Please note this is a test release. We are still working hard to add more maps and improve existing maps. Please report all bugs, and all suggestions are welcome.

This WAD requires an MBF21-compatible port to play (list here). If you try and play it in a different port, some maps will break.

Cool to see more MBF21 maps! FYI, I think I softlocked myself in the first room of the first map by pressing the button to raise the lift and backing off before it had fully raised.

11 hours ago, Shepardus said:

Cool to see more MBF21 maps! FYI, I think I softlocked myself in the first room of the first map by pressing the button to raise the lift and backing off before it had fully raised.

Thanks very much for reporting! This will be fixed in the next release.

At least it's in the first room so you don't lose much from restarting.

Oh, I remember this from a few years back.

Good to see the project finally come to completion! 

Congrats on the release, will give this a spin for sure :)

1 hour ago, Terminus said:

Oh, I remember this from a few years back.

Good to see the project finally come to completion! 

Congrats on the release, will give this a spin for sure :)

Good to see you back! If you plan to stream it, let us know, we'd love to see it.

Also - updated the main post with the full map list and a guide to the new enemies.

On 1/23/2023 at 6:16 AM, WashingMachineEnthusiasts said:

Download the release here.

In Temporal_Tantrum.txt, MAP12 is mislabeled/attributed.

19 hours ago, Xymph said:

In Temporal_Tantrum.txt, MAP12 is mislabeled/attributed.

New version 1.1 that fixes this and a few other issues I noticed during @Vile's stream - yes, the BFG room in Temple Excavation was meant to have more to it than that! Thanks very much for the stream as well - glad you liked it.

Edited by WashingMachineEnthusiasts

Version 1.31 is now out on IdGames! This version fixes two broken secrets in version 1.3 and is the final version.

Once again, I want to give a huge thank you to @EnragedEggplant, @lunchlunch, @bartekmil, @Brxyz and @ChopBlock223 for their various and many contributions. It's been a lot of hard work but I'm proud of the result and very proud to finally call it finished. And now that it's on IdGames, let's see those speedrun demos!

So Im hoping Im just stupid and missing something other than 2 of the 3 secrets onlvl 1. At the end of the lvl Im shot off into space to die but nothing happens... no end of lvl.... nothing. Im playing on lzdoom and have tried all the different comp lvls. I do get custom music and dropping off the path at the start does kill me so it seems like its mbf friendly but... I dunno?

53 minutes ago, Insaneprophet said:

So Im hoping Im just stupid and missing something other than 2 of the 3 secrets onlvl 1. At the end of the lvl Im shot off into space to die but nothing happens... no end of lvl.... nothing. Im playing on lzdoom and have tried all the different comp lvls. I do get custom music and dropping off the path at the start does kill me so it seems like its mbf friendly but... I dunno?

LZDoom isn't on the list of MBF21-supported source ports on Doomwiki, so maybe it only has partial support.

I recommend DSDADoom to guarantee everything works perfectly, but if you really want a GZDoom experience then the latest GZDoom should work. Any map with scripting may have different event timing though in GZDoom compared to DSDADoom. DSDADoom will give you the intended experience.

Alternatively, if you want to keep using LZDoom, only that map and MAP26 use that kind of death exit, so you could just play all the other maps.

Hmm, Map30, the first fight, if the Barons are crushed by the crusher in the middle, Tag 667 won't be triggered and you'll be softlocked, somehow. I tried to kill them with weapons, and the trigger works.

Am I missing something or it's a mistake?

6 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Hmm, Map30, the first fight, if the Barons are crushed by the crusher in the middle, Tag 667 won't be triggered and you'll be softlocked, somehow. I tried to kill them with weapons, and the trigger works.

Am I missing something or it's a mistake?

I guess it's an oversight, the special doesn't execute if the last baron gets crushed into a pool of blood before the death animation finishes. If the crusher does all the damage, it so happens that the baron will die when the crusher is near the bottom, but if you damage the baron enough beforehand, then the crusher will kill the baron earlier, so the death animation can actually finish and the action will still work. If you're trying to pacifist the level, it might be possible to get the pinkies to do enough damage through infighting...

Edited by Shepardus