Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anonymous

LCD vs CRT monitor for Doom 3

I am planing on getting a 21" flat sreen monitor, but when I saw a 17" LCD for a couple hundred dollers less, and figured maybe I will get a 17" LCD unstead, since it takes up way less space on your desktop, uses less enery, virtually no glare and and has better image quality then an CRT. But a freind told me that it's not all that great for fast action games, And in some cases the colours aren't true. So What do you think

-CRT vs LCD
-17"LCD vs 21"CRT

I want this monitor strically for Doom 3 and all that is to fallow after it's release.

I would say LCD primarily because it is cheaper and more practical. The CRT will not only be heavy on the pockets, but like you said CRT eats up space and money.
LCD looks more kick ass too.

In my experience, LCD screens look like ass on a stick when fullscreen at lower than their native resolution. And I doubt you'll be running Doom 3 at 1024x768 or 1280x1024...

Visual quality,of course.
Bigger size is bonus too.
LCD Flat panel display has poorer visual quality than CRT.The other kind of Flat panel display, Plasma display has great visual quality.But it is still expensive.I don`t know that are there any Plasma computer display available yet.

CRT. LCDs are infinitely better for basic file management and interweb crap but there's no comparison to a high-quality CRT when it comes to displaying moving images. Not even plasma displays can compete with high-quality CRTs.

But what are the price ranges for a CRT screen? I want to have a good screen next year something thats thin like an LCD screen. Are CRT screens like that? I was aiming for something with 17-19 inch view.

CRTs are almost always cheaper than LCDs. LCDs are still crazy-mad expensive once you get out of the 15" size category, and on top of that, they have a much more variable range of quality. You generally won't find an absolute shit CRT anymore, but there are lots of REALLY shitty LCDs out there, just because they're cheaper and lamers in wal-mart can go "omg r33t lcd j0".

A good 19" CRT will run you around $300-$400USD. A good 17" will run you around $200. A good one. Naturally, you can find monitors of that size for cheaper. Make sure you get a "flatscreen" CRT - it'll still be huge, like a TV, because it has to have room for the cathode ray tube - but make sure it has a flat glass panel in the front. Makes for a much better picture and also helps reduce glare.

LCD flatscreen technology is booming fast. Virtually all negatives associated with LCD are on track to being eliminated. Off-angle color-negative syndrome can now be eliminated. Color-sticking can also be easily eliminated. And with proper anti-aliasing, non-native resolutions will be virtually equal to CRT's in quality. Pretty much the only drawback to LCD's will be that they are harder to clean.

Before you say "Blah, non-native LCD resolutions are just fake, a joke," remember that the same can virtually be said for CRT's. CRT's have a native resolution. The number of phosphor elements on the screen. The resolutions change on the raygun, and only light up the phosphors where they need to be lit up. It's virtually the same effect as anti-aliasing on an LCD, except that with a CRT it's a simple natural analong effect, rather than LCD's which have to produce the effect digitally.

So if your LCD has a proper anti-alias ability, there is really no degredation in quality in non-native resolutions compared to CRT's. The only beef I have is that LCD's don't offer all the resolutions that I would like. Why it has 1280x1024 and not 1280x960 makes no sense to me. The LCD is a perfect 4:3, so 1280x1024 is squished. I would REALLY like to have an 1152x864 option on this (native 1600x1200) LCD, but alas, it cannot be.

Anyway, a bigger, newer monitor is more of a want than a need. Unless you have bad eyes, the benefits of a bigger monitor all but disappear once you are immersed in your game.

What you say is true, AndrewB, but you underestimate or at least understate the magnitude of the effect that analog (as opposed to digital) conversion has on the image quality. The fact of the matter is that LCDs running full-screen in non-native resolutions look like utter shit.

And, I'd agree with you, mostly, about monitor size. Once you get past, say, 17", it becomes about image quality preference more than necessity.

Just look around, on the web and also in retail stores. Sometimes you can find good deals in local computer shops on refurbished monitors. I picked up a bad-ass Sony 19" for $190US the other day.

Katarhyne said:

What you say is true, AndrewB, but you underestimate or at least understate the magnitude of the effect that analog (as opposed to digital) conversion has on the image quality. The fact of the matter is that LCDs running full-screen in non-native resolutions look like utter ____.

Only if the LCD's are not anti-aliased. If they have proper AA, there is NO degredation in quality compared to CRT's.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that a 15" 1600x1200 LCD scaled down to 1024k768 with AA looks MUCH better than a native 1024x768 15" LCD. No gaps in between pixels, no more blurry than the 15" 1024 LCD. Quite simply a much smoother, richer image.

AndrewB, you simply don't know what you're talking about. LCDs, even with antialiasing, look like crap in non-native resolutions. I have a very nice Elo Entuitive LCD touchmonitor here in front of me, and let me take some pictures with my brother's digital camera to illustrate my point.

You probably don't have proper anti-aliasing then. Believe me, I KNOW what I'm talking about.

Always test the LCD's before buying them. Some obviously have better AA than others.

Let me put it to you this way - they don't MAKE higher-quality LCDs than this. I'm still waiting on Zak to get home so I can borrow his camera.

Katarhyne said:

Let me put it to you this way - they don't MAKE higher-quality LCDs than this. I'm still waiting on Zak to get home so I can borrow his camera.

First of all, I'm not about to believe that you have the best LCD in the world. You can make many claims of fame, but I'm not about to believe that you went from knowing nothing about LCD AA to being an expert on it within a couple of days.

Besides, proper AA is such an overlooked fact that the best LCD's can have the worst AA and get away with it. The main market base either won't know the difference or won't know enough to ask.

I'm totally convinced that proper AA can totally, 100% without any strings attached, fix the issue of LCD screens in non-native resolutions. I have far better than average eyesight, with regular access to CRT, LCD, and LCD-AA screens. I can say with 100% confidence that I know what I'm talking about on this issue.

And I'm telling you you don't know the first thing about anything. Period.

I don't see where you're qualified to judge my knowledge on any subject, AndrewB. Furthermore, I don't appreciate being called a liar. To continue still further, it's common knowledge that you think very highly of your LCD on your Inspiron and that anytime someone says anything negative about LCDs, you feel the need to defend your purchase - which makes you no better than the console fanboys whose parents got them the console they asked for for Christmas only to discover that they really wanted something else. You've complained to me on IRC multiple times about the image quality on your LCD, so don't come in here and be all high-and-mighty.

I'm closing this thread, because it's quickly degenerating into a flamewar between you and I. If you want to continue this discussion, you know where you can find me. Either way, know that there are more than two mods on these forums irritated with your attitude and you're treading on thin ice.